• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi PTT6.5W04-01A 6.5" midwoofer

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
High school dropout. No job. Why else would I be on an audio forum?

You have a point. OK, some of us are stuck in endless meetings or teleconferences all day and need a distraction to keep us from falling asleep.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

digicidal

Major Contributor
You have a point. OK, some of us are stuck in endless meetings or teleconferences all day and need a distraction to keep us from falling asleep.

Or using it to appear too busy to be called into the meeting in the first place. I always start furiously typing a response (even if I don't post it) with a harried expression on my face every time someone appears in my doorway with that "if you're not too busy right now" look in their eyes:

"Sorry, I'd really like to want to participate in your discussion... but I've gotta get this coded by tomorrow." :cool: (Gratuitous Simpsons reference)

bugbob

As a father of two young kids, I have to disagree with you: whatever the looks of a transducer before they see it, it will look bad an few minutes later.
Only solution is to hide it. From a pragmatic parenting POV, it matters. A lot.

+ 1. A number of years ago my brother and family arrived here, and my then 4 year old nephew entered the front door, turned the corner into the living room, and within 1-3 seconds pushed in both dome dust caps on my speaker's midranges then nonchalantly continued on to have a look around. The dents are still there.

Audiocrusader

So you *are* part of the Purifi online marketing department!

Nice plug!

Now you're starting conspiracy theories? Too bad very few on this thread are even here to discuss the thread topic. Seems to be standard protocol though.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Quote @ Audiocrusader: "I wouldn't be surprised ………………."

Now that is speculation. Speculation is at the heart of all conspiracy theories.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So you *are* part of the Purifi online marketing department!

"The online buzz surrounding the release of the very unfortunately designated (PTT6.5W04-01A) Purifi woofer has translated into enormous crowds outside Purifi's flagship store. Police and riot control officers, as well as crowd calming devices have been deployed to ensure order in the lead up to store opening time.

Some loyal followers have queued for several days to be the first in line to buy this much-hyped woofer. Due to the pent-up demand and Purifi wishing to satisfy the most customers, purchases are limited to just one woofer per person."

Slide1.JPG

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Now you're starting conspiracy theories? Too bad very few on this thread are even here to discuss the thread topic. Seems to be standard protocol though.

I'm not sure what the conspiracy is.

Do you have inside knowledge of what Voice Coil will publish?

Or are you just making a random guess?

Audiocrusader

I'm not sure what the conspiracy is.

Do you have inside knowledge of what Voice Coil will publish?

Or are you just making a random guess?

well considering what voice coil does is reviews new drivers, and the Purifi woofer is likely the most cutting edge new driver seen for years, I think any dummy could predict a review coming shortly.

It’s a shame the the common “groupthink” mindset of this forum is that anyone who discusses the thread topic, or provides accurate information pertaining to the thread topic is viewed as a threat. Ohhh must be an evil outsider with a agenda!! When the ignorant clowns with absolutely nothing valuable to add, take over the threads. It’s no surprise that when anyone with an ounce of knowledge decides to contribute here, it ends up being extremely short lived.

Keep up the good work soldiers. And remember he who has the highest post count is the hero.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see where you're coming from but loudspeaker transducers have gotten way way better in recent years. Drivers from even the early 90s can't hold a candle to modern offerings, certainly if price is taken into account. I mean I've taken apart some nicer older speakers and the drivers are just shit compared to cheap stuff today.

I agree with your pessimism towards the HiFi market, but there are rays of sunshine here and there.

Glad I was too busy cheering on my wife at her second NY marathon to see the developing multi-car pileup here... "Crusader," like "terrorist," is not an identity to aspire to in polite company.

Anyway, back to your new-old comparison. I think that's an big exaggeration. Dennis Murphy thought ScanSpeak's expensive 20+ year old paper cone 7" woofer was good enough choose it over newer and often cheaper designs from ScanSpeak, Satori, and others for the low end of his superbly-measuring Philharmonic BMR.
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/bmr-philharmonitor-1

Overall the Purifi driver looks neat, though at the claimed price I would like a lighter driver driven by a neo magnet, not a big heavy magnetized clay ring between the polepieces. The most interesting part of the Purifi driver to me is how the surround repeats. I can't find it now, but one of the KEF/Celestion engineers did a video about Celestions's new 3D-stamped titanium compression driver that is supposed to play higher than anything else its size. He kept mentioning "periodicity" (a small feature that repeats) as the key to new diaphragm design work. It looks like something similar may be going on with this woofer's surround.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Glad I was too busy cheering on my wife at her second NY marathon to see the developing multi-car pileup here... "Crusader," like "terrorist," is not an identity to aspire to in polite company.

Anyway, back to your new-old comparison. I think that's an big exaggeration. Dennis Murphy thought ScanSpeak's expensive 20+ year old paper cone 7" woofer was good enough choose it over newer and often cheaper designs from ScanSpeak, Satori, and others for the low end of his superbly-measuring Philharmonic BMR.
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/bmr-philharmonitor-1

Overall the Purifi driver looks neat, though at the claimed price I would like a lighter driver driven by a neo magnet, not a big heavy magnetized clay ring between the polepieces. The most interesting part of the Purifi driver to me is how the surround repeats. I can't find it now, but one of the KEF/Celestion engineers did a video about Celestions's new 3D-stamped titanium compression driver that is supposed to play higher than anything else its size. He kept mentioning "periodicity" (a small feature that repeats) as the key to new diaphragm design work. It looks like something similar may be going on with this woofer's surround.

Axiperiodic?

Wombat

Master Contributor
well considering what voice coil does is reviews new drivers, and the Purifi woofer is likely the most cutting edge new driver seen for years, I think any dummy could predict a review coming shortly.

It’s a shame the the common “groupthink” mindset of this forum is that anyone who discusses the thread topic, or provides accurate information pertaining to the thread topic is viewed as a threat. Ohhh must be an evil outsider with a agenda!! When the ignorant clowns with absolutely nothing valuable to add, take over the threads. It’s no surprise that when anyone with an ounce of knowledge decides to contribute here, it ends up being extremely short lived.

Keep up the good work soldiers. And remember he who has the highest post count is the hero.

So far you are the thread hero in this thread it seems.
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif
Hang around, you may learn something if you can get those chips off your shoulders.

Audiocrusader

Overall the Purifi driver looks neat, though at the claimed price I would like a lighter driver driven by a neo magnet, not a big heavy magnetized clay ring between the polepieces.

Ok so the end results of the design are meaningless, and the only thing that matters is if the parts used pass the criteria of your "audiophile buzzlist"? I thought on science forums the end goal is a superior result. Do you shop for amplifiers based on the thickness of the aluminum as well?

OP
Killingbeans

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Seriously... Would you please stop with the butthurt already? Purifi does NOT need you to "defend" them like this.

I get why people in here think you are a marketing goon, but it's also stuff like this that makes it painfully obvious that you aren't. No marketing department with respect for themselves would have their employees act like this. You'd get fired in a heartbeat.

I still see a glimmer of reasoning in you, so would you please just stop with the hostility and engage in a normal productive conversation instead?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Do you shop for amplifiers based on the thickness of the aluminum as well?
The one acting like this here happens to be your mentor...
If your intent is being aggressive with any member posting here, maybe you should go out for a walk, calm down and enjoy life. There are beautiful things outside you know.

Top Bottom