• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie audio-lover here!

OP
D
The one you like best and best suited to your needs. Bear in mind though that the BT20A pro has been reviewed so we know it performs well, the 30D will probably be very similar (but we don't know for sure) in any case it's unlikely you'll hear a difference. They are both good for getting the job done
Does it really make any difference that 30D pro has got 2 pcs TI TPA 3255 chips and subwoofer output?

nerdemoji

Why are you only looking for passives?

OP
D
Polk XT and ES are both good (a bit hot). The Polk T15 is horrible.

JBL Stage A130 has bad QC, I'd skip it.

Mission LX-3 looks good. Elac not so much with a bad crossover.

So i am sticking with POLK AUDIO ES20/15 OR POLK AUDIO XT20/15

with Fosi audio bt 20A pro or 30d pro

Now as per your experience with estimated in room response by ErinsAudioCorner which will be best?

OP
D
Yes but you don't have money for that don't you? Half deacent cheap Yamaha R-S202B is 31 K Rupies alone and deacent speakers even more and you still need DAC at least.
This way you get 8" deacent active speakers that are 45% discounted for 31 K and can pass without subwoofer and Solo is another 13,624 and you just need to get cables atop of that.
Then you find a measuring microphone and it can be any that you can find for cheap and doesn't even have to be new or USB (as you have XLR input and preamp on interface) and then you have DSP/room correction also trough REW/EQ-APO or Foobar 2000 + Math Audio room correction plugin and for free.
Dont mind..but its so complicated for me.(Like if i want to teach the steps of a laparoscopic cholecystectomy in one day and tell you to do the OT in one go).

I will keep it simple. Speakers+amp, later a sub woofer and cd player may be or may not be

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Newbie audio lover here!
This site is scientific and rational but don't believe everything you read on the Internet (or in magazines). Most of the "audiophile community" is nuts! They use lots of meaningless terminology that seems to mean something, but usually it relates more to a "feeling" and often they are talking about something that's not measurable and something that goes-away in proper-blind listening tests. There is also a lot of fascination with expensive, exotic, equipment.

For "sound quality", the most important thing is speakers (or headphones). And with headphones there is almost no correlation between sound quality and price.

Audiophoolery is also worth reading.

staticV3

Master Contributor
So i am sticking with POLK AUDIO ES20/15 OR POLK AUDIO XT20/15

with Fosi audio bt 20A pro or 30d pro

Now as per your experience with estimated in room response by ErinsAudioCorner which will be best?
Out of these, I believe the ES20 will sound the best.
It has fairly smooth directivity, and plays very deep with low distortion.

OP
D
This site is scientific and rational but don't believe everything you read on the Internet (or in magazines). Most of the "audiophile community" is nuts! They use lots of meaningless terminology that seems to mean something, but usually it relates more to a "feeling" and often they are talking about something that's not measurable and something that goes-away in proper-blind listening tests. There is also a lot of fascination with expensive, exotic, equipment.

For "sound quality", the most important thing is speakers (or headphones). And with headphones there is almost no correlation between sound quality and price.

Audiophoolery is also worth reading.
Thank you for your response

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Dont mind..but its so complicated for me.(Like if i want to teach the steps of a laparoscopic cholecystectomy in one day and tell you to do the OT in one go).

I will keep it simple. Speakers+amp, later a sub woofer and cd player may be or may not be
Well I am not otolaryngologist but steps are same for everyone it doesn't go other way. I just want you to have good experience. No one of them so far told you how hard and expensive is to properly integrate subwoofer. Good budget pasive 8" speakers in EU cost 112920 rupies (three ways and with stands Wharfedale Linton's) and that's on a cheap side. It's down to speakers capabilities and how to correct the room response in the end and both are equally important. I guess you can't buy experience you have to get it the hard way. Have nice time and good luck with your decisions.

OP
D
Well I am not otolaryngologist but steps are same for everyone it doesn't go other way. I just want you to have good experience. No one of them so far told you how hard and expensive is to properly integrate subwoofer. Good budget pasive 8" speakers in EU cost 112920 rupies (three ways and with stands Wharfedale Linton's) and that's on a cheap side. It's down to speakers capabilities and how to correct the room response in the end and both are equally important. I guess you can't buy experience you have to get it the hard way. Have nice time and good luck with your decisions.
"Otolaryngologist" is not a correct term..it is "otorhinolaryngologist" who deals with ear,nose,throat & head neck base surgery...and a "general surgeon" deals with laparoscopic cholecystectomy what i mentioned...

I already mentioned by budget. I dont want to buy experience. I just want to buy a setup for my leisure time after doing hospital work(very hectic) with a load of patients to handle( i suppose you know the patient load in india), specifically 30mins to 1 hour i will listen to music in evening.

nerdemoji

Low budget...wanna keep it simple and to experience stereo audio.
And moreover some experience audiophilic guys told me.
Active is a fundamentally better crossover system and is usually better value than amp + passives

OP
D
Active is a fundamentally better crossover system and is usually better value than amp + passives
But some people said to me that if i ended up buying active ones then i have no/very limited chances of future upgradation and also powered monitors are only good for near field listening and professional work.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But some people said to me that if i ended up buying active ones then i have no/very limited chances of future upgradation and also powered monitors are only good for near field listening and professional work.
It's your choice, and you will get a nice sound from the passive system that you are thinking about. Please do be aware that you might get better value from an active system with your budget. There is nothing about active monitors that makes them only suitable for nearfield or 'professional' work: they are simply speakers with amplifiers inside the case. Good speakers are good speakers, active or passive.

Realistically, when and if you come to upgrade your system you will probably change everything anyway.

Don't restrict you choice, review and read and get what works best for you.

nerdemoji

The usual audiophile myths.

Active:

Pros:
Higher roll off filters allow for less compromises in audio—> Can lead to better on axis frequency response, directivity, less resonances,
Less variation in crossovers
Cons:
If the amp fails, hard or impossible to replace/fix, though a competently built one shouldn’t have this problem
Passive:

Pros:
Can be externally amped, so the amps can be replaced without worrying about the speakers

Cons:
Much less control over the audio, variations in crossovers, which leads to the inverse of the pros of active monitors.

I might have missed some.

nerdemoji

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Low budget...wanna keep it simple and to experience stereo audio.
And moreover some experience audiophilic guys told me.
Active speakers such as the JBL LSR305 at time provide a simpler system ..With the JBL LSR 305, a wonderful speaker by the way, you could have a serious system with just your phone to directly drive the output of the speakers. I have done with with my iPad...
If you're phone doesn't have a phone output, you could use a headphones dongle to drive these ..
Google dongle ₹2,149.00
MX EP 3.5 mm Stereo Male to Two 3-Pin Mic XLR Male cable ₹1,299.00
JBL Professional 305PMKII-EU 5-inch 2-Way Powered Studio Monitor (Pair) ₹ 27,000

You will play have music the second you un-box these.
Read the ASR review Click Here
As for the advice of "experienced audiophiles" ... At ASR there are a large number of audiophiles who happen to be Eminences in the Audio field.. ;). Their advices tend to be based on measurables.
There are of course passive options, I think they will cost you more than the LSR305... for similar performance.

Welcome to ASR.

peace.

OP
D
It's your choice, and you will get a nice sound from the passive system that you are thinking about. Please do be aware that you might get better value from an active system with your budget. There is nothing about active monitors that makes them only suitable for nearfield or 'professional' work: they are simply speakers with amplifiers inside the case. Good speakers are good speakers, active or passive.

Realistically, when and if you come to upgrade your system you will probably change everything anyway.

Don't restrict you choice, review and read and get what works best for you.
I am really confused to decide. Previously i had decided to buy powered ones but then many audiophile forum people told to drop the idea and get a passive speaker and integrated amplifier for it..so i changed my mind and start searching and reading numerous threads for passive speakers+ amp.

nerdemoji

OP
D
The usual audiophile myths.

Active:

Pros:
Higher roll off filters allow for less compromises in audio—> Can lead to better on axis frequency response, directivity, less resonances,
Less variation in crossovers
Cons:
If the amp fails, hard or impossible to replace/fix, though a competently built one shouldn’t have this problem
Passive:

Pros:
Can be externally amped, so the amps can be replaced without worrying about the speakers

Cons:
Much less control over the audio, variations in crossovers, which leads to the inverse of the pros of active monitors.

I might have missed some.
True that...i heard same ...already twice i changed my mind.
Initially it was vinly with turntable, then it came to active speaker pair + mi box4, then again changed my mind to passive speakers+ amp after influenced by some people who are happy with it...now i almost confirm the order of Es20+fosi audio amp when i again confused about what would be my setup!!

Top Bottom