• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to manage the mental somersaults, avoiding brain damage and brain rewiring from reading news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am pretty confident that one won't miss anything important if read news only once a week.
Me too. I need a new schedule for that so I have a time and place and make that time and effort to get what I need and get out!

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Especially FOX News... absolute mind poison. :cool:

JSmith
To try and steer this back away from being political, I will say... the minute you think there's a "good" cable news and a "bad" cable news, you're sliding down a very slippery slope. I've found that the format does a dramatic disservice to the ideas it supposedly supports, no matter who or what the ideas are.

Or let me put it this way - if you watch cable news and you don't immediately feel offended at the insult to your intelligence... something is wrong.

"The medium is the message" is actually a literal statement... and was meant to be very pertinent to television. Something to chew on. :)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am pretty confident that one won't miss anything important if read news only once a week.
Lol. I am going to label the new get in and get out new reading methodology as, "Guerilla Strategy Current Events Gathering!"

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're gonna have to be more specific. :D Shrooms can help, weed tends to work short-term but hurt long-term. Acid is supposed to help, but it's not easy to find IME. Booze is just a last resort, I think - very short term/long-term tradeoff there too, plus it plays havoc with your health. Friends who have recently gone dry say it's helped their mindset quite a bit.

Then there's all the stuff you can get from the doctor, which I hear tends to help.

One thing I can say for sure, don't mix news and drugs.

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I will say... the minute you think there's a "good" cable news and a "bad" cable news, you're sliding down a very slippery slope. I've found that the format does a dramatic disservice to the ideas it supposedly supports, no matter who or what the ideas are.
In an approximation I estimate that I have in use several dozen sources because I use the Google News webpage that is a compilation of articles and it is random and effective at sourcing a mixture of stuff. I find often that the different articles vary by missing a single detail or having a single extra detail amongst the multiple details and that makes things effectively different. I am now suspect of most stuff and it requires additional time to check stuff for reliability of information. That stressed me out too and made all of this become a effort that is too much for me most days at this time. :D

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I stopped cannabis use. I was smoking flower buds and that became not potent enough and made me cough too much so I went to moon rocks and the same thing happened and then vaping and the same thing happened and I don't even get relief anymore and coughed incessantly so I said to heck with it and stopped and removed it from my economy.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Most "news" is Fake, written by "journalists" and designed to get clicks from one side or the other or to persuade you to think their way. Just ignore it if it bothers you.

I'm old enough to remember when they mostly just reported the news and didn't spend 24/7 pushing an agenda. Or maybe they were just better at hiding it.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You're gonna have to be more specific. :D Shrooms can help, weed tends to work short-term but hurt long-term. Acid is supposed to help, but it's not easy to find IME. Booze is just a last resort, I think - very short term/long-term tradeoff there too, plus it plays havoc with your health. Friends who have recently gone dry say it's helped their mindset quite a bit.

Then there's all the stuff you can get from the doctor, which I hear tends to help.

One thing I can say for sure, don't mix news and drugs.
I had a strong prescription for hydromorphone for my broken arm pain relief last fall and it was like I was not taking any medication and I have had morphine before and it seemed like nothing was happening at all. I have also had multiple times prescriptions for pure 60mg codeine tablets with pure 30mg codeine syrup used in combination for severe coughing due to pertussis and the codeine suppresses the coughing within 20 minutes and I had to at least ~triple the dose to get relief and stop the severe coughing that was causing a huge amount of pain and headache. I don't get any kicks from those drugs like some people do and so they seek illegal sources because they have a dependency. I think I have a very high tolerance for drugs and so the cannabis use is just another drug that has become non-effective. Heck I always have needed 7 grams or greater of shrooms to even get a buzz. I also have a very high pain threshold. When I was on the bed being drugged with fentanyl for broken arm setting surgery the anesthesiologist said to the medical team that I have very high tolerance for fentanyl and gave me a extra squirt of liquid fentanyl to get me to where she wanted me to be. I have broken my back and never went to the doctor (now have arthritis at that location.) ,broken my shoulder and never went to the doctor, broken fingers and no doctor required, had 3 ACL injuries that laid me out for several months at a time and never went to the doctor. So I don't think the usual cocktails of drugs and alcohol are the answer...LoL. I need mind power not drugs! :D How to get that is the question...

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most "news" is Fake, written by "journalists" and designed to get clicks from one side or the other or to persuade you to think their way. Just ignore it if it bothers you.

I'm old enough to remember when they mostly just reported the news and didn't spend 24/7 pushing an agenda. Or maybe they were just better at hiding it.
For sure that's the reality of it. It's so good for me to have that clearly stated and add it to my golf bag of clubs or a new arrow for my quiver.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Well for one thing it wasn't 24/7. Imagine if it was the same as now, only it was available locally for 30 minutes and nationally for 30 minutes, and that was it.

If there was an agenda it wasn't so obvious in small doses. When some outlet has several different news shows thru-out the day and you see the topics are obviously being coordinated what you can conclude other than they have an agenda.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well for one thing it wasn't 24/7. Imagine if it was the same as now, only it was available locally for 30 minutes and nationally for 30 minutes, and that was it.
That @Blumlein 88 is a really good point to be made. We are flooded with the rubbish and it's fast and loose and that sometimes really long commentary after the articles is something that is an addictive click magnet.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Listening to music is better for you than listening to news.
I use, enjoy and encourage music in life everyday for 5+ hours per day at least. I have a paid YouTube subscription for ad free use and also for a increased data rate I think too.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use, enjoy and encourage music in life everyday for 5+ hours per day at least

13e.jpg

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was fine until I started investing months and months into seeing what is happening and deciding what I am about and who is about me and my interests and needs where I live locally and nationally. I'm seeing things very clearly now about my decisions and what I am supporting and not supporting. Before I was heavily invested in ASR stuff and then I became diverted and went off on the news information tangent. So I guess all roads lead back to Rome in this case and I'm back! LoL. :D I will still need to deal with the shock and awe of the stuff that I read about and subsequently could not stop imaging about and thinking about. Hence the brain damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom