• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

Valvetubehead

Beloved plated up her Shakshouka tonight along with her fresh bread and little wedge.
Delightful!
IMG_7207.jpeg

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I am practicing some vegan cooking.

1688001091608.png

Braised artichokes. Pick off the tough outer leaves and remove the fibrous outer layer from the stem. Slice off the tough top. Halve it and rub thoroughly with lemon juice. Remove the choke. Fry with some olive oil until golden, then add 1 cup of dry white wine, 1 cup of water, and some parsley, lemon zest, thyme, and garlic. Cover and braise for 15 minutes. Serve with chopped parsley and more lemon zest on top. The whole choke is perfumed with lemon and thyme and it is amazing!

1688001235896.png

Spaghetti olio e aglio. Finely dice a chilli and parsley leaves. Over low heat and using good quality olive oil, infuse the stalks into the oil. Then remove the stalks and turn off the heat and throw in 1 minced garlic clove for every 100g of pasta. Allow it to infuse. Meanwhile, cook the pasta until halfway to al dente. Remove the pasta and put it in the oil. Keep adding water and stirring until desired pasta texture is reached, risotto style. This causes more starch to be released and helps create a creamy sauce. Add in the chopped chillis and parsley a minute before end of cooking and serve.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
1688122494332.png

I saw these superb beef ribs at my butcher with beautiful marbling, and I could not resist. They were also very reasonably priced - A$25/kg (USD$7.50 per lb).

1688122528537.png

It's a cold winter's night in Melbourne. There was a break in the rain, so I fired up the grille and went outside to do some grilling. You need a "10 second heat", meaning you have to be able to hold your hand over the grille for 10 seconds before it gets so hot you have to remove it. This was Argentinian style, meaning salt, pepper, olive oil, and a long time on the grill. 60 minutes in total, 15 minutes each side, and finished on the bone. I would prefer a more objective method of measuring heat, but I can't think of a better way than what the Argentinians suggest, so I held my hand over the coals for 10 seconds. I had to remove it after 5 (low pain threshold) so I waited a bit until the embers died down.

1688122621609.png

In the last 20 minutes, I added the veggies. All were basted with a mixture of butter, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. The heat had died down a lot by this stage which is why I failed to get a nice char.

1688122679141.png

1688122698229.png

Served with a nice Argentinian Malbec, which is what I vaguely remember when I was in Argentina.

Last edited:

AlmaAtaKZ

Chicken wings, salmon and a rib eye stake are marinating in the fridge. I think I am ready for the weekend.

Top Bottom