• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another DX3PRO Noob question

Walkerboh

Hi,

I'm using the dx3pro with hd58x and powered pc speakers right now. The hd58x through the headphone out and speakers through the rca out. I'm using the speakers with the dx3pro in dac mode. I have a dx3pro and an atom amp on the way. Planning to use the atom with the dx3pro. My first question is do I use the dx3pro in dac mode or preamp mode with the atom?

When using the atom I've read that you can only use the RCA out of the atom when the headphone is disconnected. Would repeatedly inserting and taking out the headphone stress the headphone connector and lead to early failure? Would it be better to keep the headphone connected to the atom and possibly connect the powered speakers to the headphone out of the dx3pro and use the remote to change between speakers and headphone use?

Thank you in advance.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not sure why you bought the JDs Atom, when you already have the Topping DX3 Pro?
As the HD58x is fairly easy to drive.

twsecrest

Hi,
I'm using the dx3pro with hd58x and powered pc speakers right now. The hd58x through the headphone out and speakers through the rca out. I'm using the speakers with the dx3pro in dac mode. I have a dx3pro and an atom amp on the way. Planning to use the atom with the dx3pro. My first question is do I use the dx3pro in dac mode or preamp mode with the atom?
When using the atom I've read that you can only use the RCA out of the atom when the headphone is disconnected. Would repeatedly inserting and taking out the headphone stress the headphone connector and lead to early failure? Would it be better to keep the headphone connected to the atom and possibly connect the powered speakers to the headphone out of the dx3pro and use the remote to change between speakers and headphone use?
Thank you in advance. .
Normally you would not want to connect a headphone jack output to the line-input, on a separate head amp.
Also if you plan plugging in and un-plugging headphones a lot from the jack, it's better to use a 6.3mm (1/4") headphone jack, as they are more durable, then a 3.5mm jack.

twsecrest

I am thinking of possibly upgrading my headphones in the future :)
Those HD58X are some nice headphones, you might have to spend a fair bit more then what you might think, to "upgrade" from them.

OP
W

Walkerboh

Those HD58X are some nice headphones, you might have to spend a fair bit more then what you might think, to "upgrade" from them.
Thank you for your reply. I was really starting to get worried that I'm too stupid for this forum lol.
I was considering on getting the hd 6xx later. I've read that the 300 ohm impedence scales better with better amplification BUT I think I also read somewhere that there is only 3db difference between dx3pro and atom amplification so... I'll just have to wait and see. I think the atom has a 6.3mm connector so it should be more durable. Thank you again for your reply.

Last edited:

twsecrest

Thank you for your reply. I was really starting to get worried that I'm too stupid for this forum lol.
I was considering on getting the hd 6xx later. I've read that the 300 ohm impedence scales better with better amplification BUT I think I also read somewhere that there is only 3db difference between dx3pro and atom amplification so... I'll just have to wait and see. I think the atom has a 6.3mm connector so it should be more durable. Thank you again for your reply.
I've bought about 40 headphones in the pass 8 years, the HD58x is one of the best, guessing if Sony put their name on it, it would easily sell for $250 or more.

bravomail

If u r buying Atom, might as well get some separate DAC. If u r afraid on 3.5mm headphone jack longevity - use some 3.5mm to 3.5mm extenders. It was never concern for properly built jack. I got some cheap Chinese tablet years ago, while screen was nice, audio jack died shortly, then power button (yes) stopped working. Threw it away.

Top Bottom