• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The online coffee/espresso culture mirrors the subjectivist audio crowd.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"...and the espresso today not from the Italian, but freshly roasted and spiced by coffee cooks from Eritrea.

Coffee is a delicacy for the Eritreans, and being invited for a coffee 'bun' is a very special honor and a sign of friendship. The incense burner is part of such a coffee ceremony. A few crumbs of incense resin are lit on a piece of charcoal and a wonderfully pleasant fragrance wafts around the nose."
Coffee actually comes from the Ethiopian highlands, where it's a native plant an certainly cultivated and used to make drinks since at least the 12th century AC (and probally a few centuries before) in the region of Harar. It spread fast, and Eritria (also a part of the old Ethiopian/Axumite culture at that time) was probally also very early in the drinking of coffee. And from there it spread fast trough the Arab world (first Yemen) and from there to the rest of the world.

I've never been to East Africa, but i've been in Yemen and Oman, and the coffee that they drink there is another level, that no barista here can reach i have to say (and i know quiet a few "very good on world scale" barista's...). It may have been the beans, setting, their ritual and the snacks they serve with it, but it was something special. That coffee is made totally different, cooked in ceramic cans afterh the beans are stamped to powder in a mortar made of bronze and drinking it is a whole ritual you need to follow.
Work happened to carry me to Asmara, Eritrea last month. One l day I was invited to have a coffee with one of the Eritreans I was working with. Nothing fancy, as it was a small outdoor lunch counter at the building complex, although it was staffed by a couple women who were more home cooks than pro cooks/ chefs. It was very passable espresso, and something I was not expecting. We sat around and talked for a bit, and he happily fielded questions I had about Eritrea's history. Partway through the conversation I asked if they grow coffee in the region, as it's at an elevation of around 8,000 ft. He said they consume a lot, but do not grow it. He mentions one woman used to import beans from Ethiopia and had a very good business roasting and selling them. But that ended ~20 years ago. They seem to have the land and the climate, but other factors are at play in that country, unfortunately. Maybe one day in the not-too-distant future they will be able to start their own coffee industry.

Life is hard there, without a doubt. In the major city, residents had been without electricity for 2 weeks when we arrived. And they only get water service turned on for a few hours a week -- and it is not potable. It could be in the middle of the night when service is activated; they get up and fill as many containers as possible. And there are purifiers in most houses so they can turn some of the water into drinking water. Even to get propane for their stoves or wood for their fires they need to get allocation tickets.

My espresso machine is one that would make many in this thread roll their eyes. It was a wedding present I bought for my wife and I. Used daily for 13 years (multiple shots daily) until it had some issues last month I could not overcome with my small toolbox of DIY skills. So it went to a pro, where is getting a pretty thorough tear-down with a lot of wear parts getting replaced. Turns out the main culprit of the issues I was having is the pump. But all check valves, solenoids, gaskets, etc. that I did not already replace are getting replaced. It will not be inexpensive, but if it gets me 13 more years it will be well worth it. That's about 12,000 espressos and cappuccinos at the rate we drink them. It is worth it to me.

As far as snobbery, one thing to realize is (as previously mentioned by others) coffee has a lot of flavor compounds. The roaster I buy from has two 'flavors' of espresso roasts -- one that has an emphasis on chocolate and one that is more citrus/ orange. It's probably the final acid level that determines which way it turns out. I buy 5 lb bags of beans and break them into roughly 1/2 lb batches and vacuum seal the bags. I usually freeze them as well, but that doesn't seem to make much difference. When I open a bag I do not typically know which of the two roasts is in the bag. Not a true objective test by any means, but it is not hard to tell after one taste which roast it is. It is not unlike different grapes and fermentation processes creating distinct flavor profiles in wines. Please note I am referring to flavors, and not claiming one it better then the other. Like with setting up stereo systems, the grinder and machine are my 'transparent' components and the brewing variables and roasts are the 'tune to my individual preference'.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts. But there is plenty of room for individual preference while still locking down some variables in order to achieve a more consistent desired end product.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I stopped bothering with extreme coffee perfection when my plumbed-in twin boiler, 2 group head Italian machine developed a leak on my benchtop. Packed it up, took it and the commercial grinder to my storeroom where it languishes for the last decade or more.

Drank tea for 10 years and recently even have been enjoying instant coffee.

Just can't be bothered with all the coffee BS anymore. Bean variations, even from previously consistent roasters was a problem and the catch 22 of having to buy a lot of beans to get the best price, but then not being able to use them before they are no longer fresh.

Don't miss the constant cleaning of the portafilters, screens, emptying the skeezy coffee water etc etc.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I agree there's a lot of bullshit in the coffee world like any other hobby, but I would say the closest equivalent to ASR I've seen in coffee is https://www.home-barista.com/ ... like here, they also do measurements (of grind fineness and consistency, solids concentrations, etc.) and like here, they are absurdly interested in hobby gear.

Horizontal dispersion from morning coffee looking good: smooth/controlled directivity, narrow for good imaging, the usual spread in the low bass but still tight enough, some asymmetry there too but that's in-cup, not free-field.

IMG_5419.jpeg

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Horizontal dispersion from morning coffee looking good: smooth/controlled directivity, narrow for good imaging, the usual spread in the low bass but still tight enough, some asymmetry there too but that's in-cup, not free-field.

View attachment 288679

You could improve your brew with a Shunyata power cord.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
You could improve your brew with a Shunyata power cord.

Haha, after posting I noticed the noise floor in the micro-foam. I'll get right on it.

Gruesome

Is free field espresso what you get if you forget to lock the porta filter, and it blows off mid-brew?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Is free field espresso what you get if you forget to lock the porta filter, and it blows off mid-brew?

I think so. I love espresso, really, including the crazy gear. But sometimes making that first coffee of the day is challenging. So much hand/eye/brain coordination. Without having had a coffee first.

Gruesome

I think so. I love espresso, really, including the crazy gear. But sometimes making that first coffee of the day is challenging. So much hand/eye/brain coordination. Without having had a coffee first.
Exactly! That's one reason why I got my push-button Magnifica. And I'm considering pre-filling the water tank in the evening, to minimize the opportunities for mishaps in the morning, before I've had my coffee.

egellings

Major Contributor
So, lately I've been venturing into the world of espresso, and I see no reason to overspend, much like how I approach my hifi hobby.

As any interest takes hold, I usually check out youtube to gain some insight into the whole thing, but I'm noticing a trend that leaves me frustrated.

Ask any espresso snob on social media, and you'll get the same "you need to spend at least $200 on a grinder" or "Any espresso machine under $1000 is garbage". Oh, don't forget to spend $150 on a fancy brass and stainless tamper when your included plastic tamper $1.50 does the EXACT same thing with NO ACTUAL BENEFIT.

So far, I've got a Delonghi Stilosa, a cheap-o conical burr hand grinder, and coffee. I'm still trying to get the crema to be more substantial like those nespresso's, but I don't want to go down that wasteful route. I've read a lot of it comes down to a good espresso roasted bean and a nice fine grind.

What are your thoughts on the snobbery? Have you noticed it?

Are you into espresso? What gear have you gotten? Thoughts on the fully automatic units?
I've noticed it in audio, not so much with coffee, since I don't know any coffee afficionados. As for me, I have a Quaker City QB coffee grinder that looks like one of those old table edge mounted tin-plated meat grinders. Works like a charm, and I'll never wear it out. It produces a consistent particle size and the size can be easily adjusted to any grind desired.

Last edited:

Unionista

Not if they are drinking coffee ... oh wait.
Caffeine is the worst. I had a friend (THAT is a long story!) from Italy that was into audio as well as espresso. After an evening of pounding down espressos, there was not much "critical listening" being done! The drive home was challenging, to say the least. Years later, even he was forced to give up espresso. All that caffeine didn't go along well with his increasing anger management issues. Seeing all these road-rage cases lately in the news, I wonder what these guys are drinking? Coffee? Espresso? Red Bull?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Caffeine is the worst. I had a friend (THAT is a long story!) from Italy that was into audio as well as espresso. After an evening of pounding down espressos, there was not much "critical listening" being done! The drive home was challenging, to say the least. Years later, even he was forced to give up espresso. All that caffeine didn't go along well with his increasing anger management issues. Seeing all these road-rage cases lately in the news, I wonder what these guys are drinking? Coffee? Espresso? Red Bull?

I'm not super-affected by caffeine but recall getting my new grinder and dialing-in for the first time. I drank all the test shots. Wasn't a good idea. :facepalm:

Keith_W

Major Contributor

tmcm.jpg

Wikipedia entry in case you've never heard of him.

egellings

Major Contributor
People do develop a tolerance to caffeine, and after that happens, they don't notice effects like the jitters or amped up responses to every little annoyance. I am a regular coffee drinker and enjoy a cup before I go to bed as well as a cuppa in the morning. No problem sleeping at all. I suspect that the same thing happens with alcohol as well. A tolerance builds up and then you don't have a drinking problem anymore. You drink, get drunk, fall down, no problem.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Coffee varieties echo the marijuana branding of the past - Acapulco gold, Maui Wowie, Thai Stick, etc.
It's sort of laughable.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never owned a pour over setup in my life (neither manual nor automatic drips). Yes, I've only started brewing my own coffee earlier this year beginning with AeroPress. Couldn't pass up on this one especially at that price :)
This when paired with freshly ground beans with my cheap grinder should provide exceptional coffee experience for 2 - 3 people (in favor of high clarity over mouthfeel)
1685588592297.png

Travis

Absolutely, and I wonder if we could boil it down to using different methods and parameters (including water as in the article you shared) and measuring compounds extracted that contribute to acidity and balance those with compounds that contribute to body, etc. Obviously complicated (beyond my pay scale) but perhaps in that balance is a semi-sweet and tasty shot of espresso that would appeal to most people. Kind of like the Harman curve for coffee. With some blind testing, you could potentially inch closer and closer to the 'best' cup of coffee or espresso.
I don’t think so. It’s like cola beverages and wine.

You can DBT all you want, research what the components are, and a million other things, won’t make much of a difference. Food products, especially regional products like coffee, just become engrained into the taste and culture and those are the best. Community in New Orleans, MJB in San Fransico, for example.

I think the best cup of coffee is simple, Blue Mountain Coffee, freshly ground, good clean, pure water. They can say “3 out of 4 prefer our new Acme coffee to their regular brand” it not going to do it.

I think individual taste can form in clusters, like chocolate, vanilla or strawberry lovers, but beyond that not too much consensus as to what the “best ice cream” is (which is Graters in Indiana). Sort of like Ginger or Mary Ann?

Travis

I am amazed at the lineups in the morning at Tim Hortons and Starbucks. The price of a cup of coffee from these retailers is absurd. If people only realized what this costs them over a year, they could be brewing themselves a pretty decent cup or coffee or espresso at home. People just have to realize that a drip filter machine from Walmart just isn't going to cut it, especially if the water doesn't get hot enough to extract the flavors from the grind.
They have saying that about Starbucks since the 90s, “they charge X for a cup of coffee, it will never last.” Then it became a portable status symbol of the 90s. They did close 400 stores a few years ago.

This was from a couple of years ago, most recent I had:

Amount Spent on Coffee​

GOBankingRates used data from the U.S. Census Bureau, the National Retail Federation and additional sources to determine that the average American spends $1,100 on coffee per year, or about $21.15 per week. The average Starbucks drink in America costs about $2.75, although this can vary dramatically based on geographical location, the type of drink ordered and the size. For example, prices in expensive cities like New York are higher than average, and some of the company’s more fanciful drinks, such as its Venti Caramel Ribbon Crunch Frappuccino, will cost more than a simple cup of coffee.

Top Bottom