• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is RME so expensive?

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's like asking why a Mercedes is so damm expensive while you can get a Hyundai for cheap that does the same...

Motu is a big name in pro audio too.

Motu are not the Hyundai Excel of the pro audio world

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Your Motu is stellar

Unless the RME has features your Motu doesn't (that you actually would use) then no need for the RME.

Motu is one of the trusted brands, just like RME

The MK5 has more features that I would ever use but is always the pursuit for better audio and tone I’m an electric guitarist and run my DSP guitar tone through my Genelec speakers

As this produce better tones than any actual guitar amp and is works perfect for bedroom playing.

I had a Scarlett Solo and also Scarlett 18i8

I saw a considerable improvement in general audio and guitar tone by moving to the MK5

I wonder how much improvements id notice with the RME

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The MK5 has more features that I would ever use but is always the pursuit for better audio and tone I’m an electric guitarist and run my DSP guitar tone through my Genelec speakers

As this produce better tones than any actual guitar amp and is works perfect for bedroom playing.

I had a Scarlett Solo and also Scarlett 18i8

I saw a considerable improvement in general audio and guitar tone by moving to the MK5

Sound-wise, it doesn't make much of a difference these days. I recently bought a TASCAM USB interface for my electric guitars for little money. I also use it as a HIFI DAC for listening to music. TASCAM is also a brand with a great tradition in the pro audio segment. Today Designed by TEAC and Made in China.

unpluggged

It might be expensive, but it's definitely not overpriced. You get what you pay for, and even beyond that.

First of all, these are professional tools with corresponding engineering. FPGA-based products with DSP and custom USB implementation with rock-solid drivers which allow for PCI-class latencies; and they have flawless product support, very long lifecycles, comprehensive documentation, and at last, top sound quality. I work in enterprise IT services, where the key requirement for hardware is RAS — reliability, availability, and serviceability. We can make an analogy here saying that RME delivers these qualities in their products.

If you are a commercial customer, these features are essential. If you are a consumer, you might accept some compromises, then competitors' product could suit you just as fine. But RME products worth their money considering their target market.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

just a regular joe who plays guitar, enjoys music and video games lol

gear is expensive, for example, the cream of the crop when it comes to guitar amp modelers is the Axe FX 3

It costs $2300

I may buy it one day, but for now, the computer DSP plugins aint so bad

If I buy this, then I would have to connect to my interface via SPDIF, the Motu is good enough for this

Does the RME fireface UCX 2 even have spdif? I don't see it.

Last edited:

unpluggged

D

Deleted member 4708

just a regular joe who plays guitar, enjoys music and video games lol

gear is expensive, for example, the cream of the crop when it comes to guitar amp modelers is the Axe FX 3

It costs $2300

I may buy it one day, but for now, the computer DSP plugins aint so bad

If I buy this, then I would have to connect to my interface via SPDIF, the Motu is good enough for this

Does the RME fireface UCX 2 even have spdif? I don't see it.

I used to own a Motu 8A. I can recommend it and highly recommend their support. As a DAC it is very good.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
TASCAM...Today Designed by TEAC and Made in China.
Well, the "T" in TASCAM stands for TEAC (TASC is TEAC Audio Systems Corp., AM is America) , so at least the first part is expected...

I have Ultralite MK5 which is $650, though I paid $595 for it in February.

It went up in price

RME equivalent would be Fireface UCX II which is $1600

I could buy one, but my concern, of course, would be, what if it malfunctions down the road, then I'm out of $1600 lol

I'd rather be out of $650 than $1600.

How long can RME interfaces really last?
These type of interfaces, generally, don't fail or burn out (degrade). It's usually a matter of outgrowing the features, or perceiving that improvement can be had in the conversion quality, or mic preamps, for instance. Support for the interface, though, can be an issue. For instance, at one time the only viable interface was via PCI cards and a computer with them, then FireWire...and also support from the company, especially for drivers. USB has gotten to the point where it will be universal for a very long time, and devices that have class compliant drivers have much less to worry about as far as discontinued support. In the past, there was also a problem with discontinued models often not getting their host applications (configuration GUI) updated, and would stop being viable as operating systems changed. The move to having the interface built into the audio interface and controlled from an HTML browser circumvents that problem.

I think if polled everyone who has a audio interface but no longer uses it, the number that had failures is probably a small bit of it. Of course, there have been interface manufacturers that have been notorious for poor quality, and unending driver issues. But neither RME nor MOTU are among those. Also, the two are considered to have the best internal software for mixing, etc.

If I were to pick something that might "wear out first" given endless use, it might be the display. Touring use might be a different story, but I'd expect these interfaces to last a long time for home studio use.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

droid2000

You miss all the fun then not trying it ;)
heh, today i finally figured out how to create separate PEQ's for the L and R channels (ADI-2). Still can't figure out how to save and recall them. But they are persisting in the "Manual" slot even after a power cycle, so I should be good as long as I don't accidentally change them.

Adding a web interface for the settings would greatly increase the value/usability of these DAC's IMO. Throw in a network interface, a simple REST or gRPC server, React frontend and you're golden. GOLDEN, I SAY!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today, the multifaceted functions of the latest DACs from RME would not bring me much added value connected to my studio monitors at home.

I see it the opposite way - RME is one of the few with useful features for desktop use. Some active monitors have either better or easier to use EQ/room correction, but none that I know of has loudness compensation. Also there’s crossfeed and EQ for headphones.

I recently replaced my desktop ADI-2 DAC…with an ADI-2 Pro FS. The reason was having loudness compensation on the desktop headphone output reminded me how much I missed it on the desktop, but I wanted digital out to the monitor controller/EQ. So anyone who wants a nice “less expensive” RME DAC should watch the classifieds here!

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I see it the opposite way - RME is one of the few with useful features for desktop use. Some active monitors have either better or easier to use EQ/room correction, but none that I know of has loudness compensation. Also there’s crossfeed and EQ for headphones.

I recently replaced my desktop ADI-2 DAC…with an ADI-2 Pro FS. The reason was having loudness compensation on the desktop headphone output reminded me how much I missed it on the desktop, but I wanted digital out to the monitor controller/EQ. So anyone who wants a nice “less expensive” RME DAC should watch the classifieds here!
OK

I do not have this requirement profile on my desktop system.

Top Bottom