• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There seem to be plenty of threads on favorite music: best female/male vocalists, best songs by era, discovered artists, well recorded, favorite this or that... but I've seen no threads on music you hate, or dislike if hate is too strong a word. Something you will turn off if it starts playing or you will not listen to.

I had a friend in the late 1970's and early 1980's that absolutely hated Jethro Tull. I don't know what it was about Tull he did not like but he would react violently if someone played Tull. We all knew it. We had another friend that tried to provoke him one day by playing Aqualung when we were partying together. This Jethro Tull hating friend jumped up, grabbed the record off the turntable, and pitched it across the room. It was hilarious.

So you're reaction does not have to be that severe but is there any music you do not like?

I'll go first...

1. Bob Dylan: I absolutely hate Bob Dylan's voice. It is physically repulsive to me. In my opinion he simply cannot sing. He should have stuck to the songwriter part of singer songwriter. He writes beautiful songs but ruins them by singing them.

2. Creedance Clearwater Revival/John Fogerty: John Fogert's voice grates on me. I cannot stand the nasally, whiny quality of his singing. A definite no for me. CCR put out some good songs but I simply cannot listen to them.

3. Conway Twitty/Merle Haggard: I have a very good friend that loves these old twangy country crooners. I cannot stand them. They don't grate on me like Dylan or Fogerty but they'll put me to sleep within minutes.

4. Metal with growling lyrics: I cannot stand growlers. Grrr - makes me cringe. Hate it all.

I know opinions are like a--holes, we all have them and they all stink except our own. These are my opinions. Care to share yours?

Which artists do you dislike?

Martin

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Which artists do you dislike?

Can't think of any offhand, since, if I dislike them I haven't gone to the trouble to find out who they are.

But yeah, there's plenty from which to choose.

Zensō

Major Contributor
0F0231A6-86FE-46F0-9465-64BA6AF325D5.jpeg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
U2. There, I said it. And I'm half Irish.

Triliza

Forum Donor
For some of you will be blasphemy, but I can't stand The Rolling Stones. I listen a lot of classic rock btw, among other things. I'll lie if I say I have tried, I don't want to, I had an immediate dislike for them from ever. As to why, I don't exactly remember as this happened more than two decades ago, probably their star self-importance, their involvement on the Woodstock incident, well, who cares.

+1 Bob Dylan
+1 Oasis
... and some more

Edit: As @Gringoaudio1 pointed out, the Stones were not at Woodstock, they were at Altamont. There are even books about the event for those that want to learn about it further.

Last edited:

robwpdx

I have a lot of DJ friends. Music continuously evolves, it has to reject what came before.

I hate broken beat and beats that don't flow, extreme math rock would be an example.

Electro and crunchy samples grate on me, but DJs are always moving to a new edge and new software.

I also cringe at music which is too pretty, especially piano parts. The piano in Gogo Penguin strays into too pretty often. In contrast, I've seen the late Cecil Taylor two or three times in person, it was a challenge, but I don't reject it.

Fortunately we are entering the world of much better synthetic acoustic instruments derived from actual musicians playing. They are also sometimes called virtual cinematic orchestras. Spitfire, Vienna Philharmonic, Garritan, Miroslav, and more do it. Below Hans Zimmer provides an overview.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Harry Styles, The Weekend, Drake, I could go on and on.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I try to make a point of not dismissing any genre or musical style without giving it a fair chance but I have to admit I have great difficulty stomaching any kind of Opera and the classical 'operatic' singing style. Also, regardless how good the actual music, I find the sound of a big romantic classical symphony orchestra hugely unappealing. I can't think of any single artists I 'hate' but The Beach Boys are probably up there with Steely Dan a close second.

Top Bottom