• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

weesch

Unfortunately, the book Xenakis 'Formalized Music' shown in Multicore's library costs $250 on Amazon as a collector's item. Otherwise, I would have bought it.

But then I found this link: https://monoskop.org/images/7/74/Xe...ic_Thought_and_Mathematics_in_Composition.pdf

If I ever have enough time ... ;)
Hi
30 years ago i made this song with tascam porta 5 / casio cz5000 / casio rz1
in the step by step sequencer i build a sequence at the end that i name : " random sequencing"
the principle is not to respect the binary beat while respecting the harmony which makes it possible to obtain random melodies which are always correct but different each time.
we let the sequencer do its random statistical solo harmony
cheers

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just my angry response to crabapple's theory teacher saying "That's not music. That's architecture." Either that's a joke or it's a claim to the authority of a correct technical understand of what is and is not music.
Perhaps he/she should take a look at that famous book Gödel, Escher, Bach by Hofstadter. :) By the way, I once made in wood that 3D EBG on the cover. Yes, it can be done and it's really fun to make.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Here is another example with 'Neue Musik' more precisely 'Musique concrète' of the French school. I'll try to link this to listen to it, hope that works.

I took this photo once, when Michel Chion was invited to a private concert to a friends house. He was working at IRCAM at the time and is one of the pioneers of this genre.

In the background you can see tube amplifiers etc. of mine, and a Revox A77 tape recorder (hidden), which were used for playback of the master tape at that time.

chion300b-1136.jpg

Multicore

Major Contributor
My dad had a sound teacher who studied under Stockhausen and who actually played in the Scratch Orchestra (he went on a few rants about Cardew's Maoist turn apparently). Also he (my dad I mean) had a copy of Treatise (I mean the graphical score) which I looked for a while back but couldn't find. Hope it's not lost. That score is pretty much how I imagine electronic music in my mind.
... I used to hear that stuff at home growing up.
We're playing six degrees of Olivier Messiaen now. You, your dad, his sound teacher, who played with Cardew, who studied with Stockhausen, who studied with Messiaen. I love it. I hope you can find that score. The fact that it was used by a Scratch Orchestra member is cool.

Cardew also interests me because I kinda feel that I recognize my own particular psychopathology in him. I had a fascination with graphic scores when I was in 2nd year at Edinburgh. I lost interest after transcribing the first two pages of the performance score of Kontakte. (It was way too much work.) I think I still have those two pages carefully hidden away as a reminder of that youthful madness. What, I like to wonder, motivated Cardew to write it? And why did he repudiate it? What does it have in common with Anthony Braxton's Tri-Axium Writings? I'm not seriously seeking answers to these questions. I am fascinated and, tbh, haunted by them.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the audio samples. I think it's great that you can embed them directly into a post. I don't know how to do it yet though.

A strip of icons appears above this space pf the 'Reply' window or when you hit 'Post Reply'. One of them is for 'Media' . It's to the right of the smiley face:

1674157140157.png
"Media' lets you insert a Youtube video, Apple music, and bunch of other sources.

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just my angry response to crabapple's theory teacher saying "That's not music. That's architecture." Either that's a joke or it's a claim to the authority of a correct technical understand of what is and is not music.

Oh he was quite serious.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Nice. All it (and this thread) needs is Slonimsky's Lexicon of Musical Invective. ;)
"Tchaikovsky's first piano concerto, like the first pancake, is a flop."

Axo1989

Major Contributor
A strip of icons appears above this space pf the 'Reply' window or when you hit 'Post Reply'. One of them is for 'Media' . It's to the right of the smiley face:

View attachment 258335 "Media' lets you insert a Youtube video, Apple music, and bunch of other sources.

This. I use it for Apple Music and Soundcloud for example. Dreezer and Quobuz aren’t on the list though …

Multicore

Major Contributor
Architecture is cool, I’d take it as a complement. :)
But most of Xenakis music is very unlike architecture. Architecture, including that of the modernists, is very clear are well ordered, often quite clean and elegant. Whereas much of Xenakis music represents the more-or-less chaotic (dis)organization of energy in nature or mass stochastic systems, and the transitions and intermediate states between ordered and chaotic or turbulent systems. Architecture usually looks like the deliberate expression of an artist's will on materials and space, in other words expresses absolute control, while Xenakis music sounds like the release of forces of nature.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
But most of Xenakis music is very unlike architecture. Architecture, including that of the modernists, is very clear are well ordered, often quite clean and elegant
This was a big influence on my studying architecture in the mid- to late '80s.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Music is liquid architecture and architecture is frozen music

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Thanks, the thread is developing very stimulating and connoisseurs join.

Yesterday we were lucky with the icy weather and were able to attend the performance of Stockhausen's "Music in the Belly" with the ensemble "Percussion de Strasbourg". That was an absolute highlight for us at the beginning of the concert year. It will keep me busy for some time with research and notes. Having seen videos of previous performances, it was clear how modern this reinterpretation was developed while staying true to the original idea. We are absolutely thrilled!

The two teaser videos may give a small impression.

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Danke, der Thread entwickelt sich sehr anregend und Kenner schließen sich an.

Gestern hatten wir Glück mit dem eisigen Wetter und konnten die Aufführung von Stockhausens „Musik im Bauch“ mit dem Ensemble „Percussion de Strasbourg“ besuchen. Das war für uns zu Beginn des Konzertjahres ein absolutes Highlight. Es wird mich einige Zeit beschäftigen, mit Recherchen und Notizen. Ich hatte bereits Videos von älteren Aufführungen gesehen und so wurde deutlich, wie modern diese Neuinterpretation entwickelt wurde, während sie der ursprünglichen Idee treu blieb. Wir sind absolut begeistert!

Die beiden Teaser-Videos mögen einen kleinen Eindruck vermitteln.

Just so you know, you are posting in German.

Multicore

Major Contributor
This was a big influence on my studying architecture in the mid- to late '80s.
Steve Reich's music in the 70s does sound like architecture.

Do you know the recording of Octet on ECM? Unsurprisingly the recordings he made with his own ensembles are great and ensembles that have made recordings of the same works since often disappointing in comparison.

I love the story of Four Organs. It was first performed here in Boston in Symphony Hall. Then it went to New York where it provoked a Rite Of Spring-like audience response. So sensitive, those New York concert goers.

Top Bottom