• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

weesch

My music tip for today would be Ryuichi Sakamoto “12”. Stylistically, it's somewhere close to contemporary and lounge music. It could be his last work... Mostly very calm and minimalistic.

500x500-000000-80-0-0.jpg

OP
TSX

TSX

Assuming you are old enough, isn't there any music you like now, which you didn't/wouldn't like when you were young? How would you explain to your younger self, why you listen to it now? Maybe it's a similar thing?
Nope. I listen to the same kind of music (genres) more or less. I’ve always had a very broad taste in music, but I guess I’m more into rhythmic music, than experimental or avantgarde..

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Dear All,

first and foremost a heartfelt 'thank you' und 'Danke Schoen' for the elaborate posts in this thread. Also many thanks for @TSX posing the original question in a thoughtful manner.

I am classically trained and until about 5 years ago haven't enjoyed anything later than Tchaikowsky. I had to turn 50 to start enjoying Mahler and always struggled with 'post-tonal' pieces. This thread has introduced me to so much music I actually enjoyed (Messiaen's QFTEOT, Stravinsky's Firebird [which I detested as a younger person], etc).

I really enjoyed the more academic minded posts of our resident musicologists and have learned more about 20th century music than ever before. I now have a playlist consisting of your recommendations, and while I am not going to enjoy all of them, they at least have expanded my puny little mind.

Keep them coming.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you are confusing Des canyons aux étoiles with Messiaen's 7 Haiku.

One of my favorites!

This classic old CD on the Ades label was one of my earliest CD purchases. It pairs Messiaen's raucous 7 Haikai with Boulez's small ensemble piece Le Marteau sans Maitre and his Sonatine for flute and piano . Now THAT is 65'30 of bracing listening!

R-9141453-1475493999-8280.jpg

No that's some bracing listening!

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I am classically trained and until about 5 years ago haven't enjoyed anything later than Tchaikowsky. I had to turn 50 to start enjoying Mahler...
Yes, the love of classical music and beyond really came to me also when I was over fifty.

My wife and I also really enjoy listening to Mahler. Last year we heard the 3rd and 9th symphonies in Dresden in the Kulturpalast, which has a very good symphony orchestra and acoustics. Conductors were Kent Nagano and Sir Donald Runnicles. I took a photo.

1673985518804.jpeg

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Godaag !
i really apreciate this kind of music
because in life , many times , things happening .... sound like this music
i really like also the first "planet of apes " Jerry Goldsmith "soundtrack
Why human don't build a "quarter note tone keyboard" to explore more this world of sound.
just like the birds and animals cry ... a new communication !
that computer already use !

Microtonal keyboards have existed for years...centuries, even.

Messiaen employed the ondes martinot, which of course can play all the notes 'in between' the 12 tones of the chromatic scale.

Harry Partch built entirely new instruments so people could play the microtonal music he heard in his head

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Messiaen Des Canyons aux Étoiles - IV. Le cossyphe d'Heuglin​

Alexander Soares Pianist
82 subscribers
1,125 views Jan 25, 2015
Pianist Alexander Soares performs the first piano solo movement from Des Canyons aux Étoiles, and the second movement in the work devoted entirely to birdsong - this movement features the White-browed Robin-chat (Le Cossyphe d'Heuglin), from South East Africa.

Ah, yes, I see that there are sooooo many subscribers to this that it must be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

because if sooooo many subscribe to something, it must be better than anything having few subscribers

The pianist did what he was hired to do. The composer (and whoever paid him for this) have certainly done something different here (and to me it is a failed experiment).

Your analysis is rather lacking. He's playing music that's been part of the 'classical' repertoire for a bit over 50 years now and is available in (by my quick tally) at least 5 full performances on CD. Which, for a post-midcentury orchestral work that's 90 minutes long, ain't bad at all.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
One of my favorites!

This classic old CD on the Ades label was one of my earliest CD purchases. It pairs Messiaen's raucous 7 Haikai with Boulez's small ensemble piece Le Marteau sans Maitre and his Sonatine for flute and piano . Now THAT is 65'30 of bracing listening!

View attachment 257876

That's the same CD I have. I probably bought in 1988 or so, when in college.

Robin L

Master Contributor
My Favorite far outside "Classical" work, first heard on a Nonesuch LP back around 1973:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
hi cool the @weesch I did not know i will do now ! thanks
Ich würde diese Shows gerne sehen, aber ich kann nicht, ich arbeite nicht.
Ich mache Musik, aber ich mag die Klänge, die die karikierte Musik, die uns angeboten wird, verändern. trauriges Moll, fröhliches Dur, Jazz, Rock gehen schon weiter, aber all diese Musikrichtungen beschreiben nicht die Dunkelheit, in der ich mich befinde:
eine Art taubsturm, immer bereit, dich zu ertränken.
wenn du die Möglichkeit hast ... warum erfindest du nicht ein neues Midi-Keyboard, das Viertel- oder Achteltöne macht!
danke schön
Just so you know, you’re quoting and posting in German.

Multicore

Major Contributor
One of my favorites!

View attachment 257876

Yes. Boulez is an interesting case. A great musician and conductor. A brilliant and sucessful politician -- he got himself IRCAM, which has mostly been a failure. I don't like much that he composed I like except Dialogue de l'ombre double, which is really lovely, and Répons, which I think works even while being a bit obvious. He's like a failed French national institutional attempt at producing a musical answer to Stockhausen, as though it was a Sartre vs. Heidegger rematch. (To be clear, I despise all this insitutional investment in producing national cultural heros, even if it sometimes produces good art.)

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
My Favorite far outside "Classical" work, first heard on a Nonesuch LP back around 1973:
Xenakis is the best. My life-long hero. For newcomers to Xenakis I suggest Pléiades, a long ensemble percussion piece he wrote for Les Percussions de Strasbourg. Denon made a recording of them playing it. Lots of videos on Youtube where you can see how it's done, with mixed quality to the performances.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Boulez is an interesting case. A great musician and conductor. A brilliant and sucessful politician -- he got himself IRCAM, which has mostly been a failure. I don't like much that he composed I like except Dialogue de l'ombre double, which is really lovely, and Répons, which I think works even while being a bit obvious. He's like a failed French national institutional attempt at producing a musical answer to Stockhausen, as though it was a Sartre vs. Heidegger rematch. (To be clear, I despise all this insitutional investment in producing national cultural heros, even if it sometimes produces good art.)

His star seems to have dimmed since he died. History is still sorting him out.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Xenakis is the best. My life-long hero. For newcomers to Xenakis I suggest Pléiades, a long ensemble percussion piece he wrote for Les Percussions de Strasbourg. Denon made a recording of them playing it. Lots of videos on Youtube where you can see how it's done, with mixed quality to the performances.

Then again, one of my theory teachers in college circa 1979 was adamant about him : "That's not music. That's architecture." :D

(I like his work.)

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Yes, the love of classical music and beyond really came to me also when I was over fifty.

My wife and I also really enjoy listening to Mahler. Last year we heard the 3rd and 9th symphonies in Dresden in the Kulturpalast, which has a very good symphony orchestra and acoustics. Conductors were Kent Nagano and Sir Donald Runnicles. I took a photo.

View attachment 257878

It wasn't sold out? How strange. Never seen a half empty concert hall.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Then again, one of my theory teachers in college circa 1979 was adamant about him : "That's not music. That's architecture." :D
I cannot imagine there are many academic music theorists that understand much of what they read in Formaized Music, if they even tried to. Here's mine. It's quite technically challenging.

IMG_20230117_175934.jpg

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
I cannot imagine there are many academic music theorists that understand much of what they read in Formaized Music, if they even tried to. Here's mine. It's quite technically challenging.

View attachment 257905
"Stockhausen serves Imperialism"

Originally published in 1974, Stockhausen Serves Imperialism is a collection of essays by the English composer Cornelius Cardew that provides a Marxist critique of two of the more revered avant-garde composers of the post-war era: Karlheinz Stockhausen and John Cage. A former assistant to Stockhausen and a champion of Cage in England, Cardew provides a cutting rebuke of the composers’ works and ideological positions, which he saw as reinforcing an imperialist order rather than spotlighting and serving the struggles of the working class.

I think I'll pass. :p

Top Bottom