• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Refreshing movies worth watching

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope I am not the only one noticing that hollywood product has sank down to just superhero movies and special effects. Or the junk, covid-era, low budget nonsense that would not even pass high-school drama class as far as acting and story line. I miss unusual, unique movies that made you sit up and admire the creativity, acting, cinematography, etc. We stop more movies at the start than we watch now despite having thousands available on demand! No, I am not talking about some artsy movie with subtitles either. Just fresh, pleasant entertainment.

So I thought I create a thread and post the few gems that are the exception in the above. Such was the movie, The Banshees of Inisherin. Here is a trailer that gives away some of the story so I suggest not watching it and just go and find the movie instead:

It is a story set in 1930s island off the coast of Ireland. It starts kind of strange and slow but picks up steam with cleaver and at times dark/funny dialog. Cinematography is near excellent with beautiful shots that suit the story. And the soundtrack is wonderful as well (available on Tidal). I suggest turning on the subtitles as the English accent (to me anyway) is quite authentic irish with local words that are unique there, making it hard to understand at times.

Rotten tomatoes score is 97% so critics agree with quality of the movie.

Set aside a couple of hours to enjoy this unusual movie and superb acting by Collin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson. And supporting cast as well.
Watched it a couple nights ago and was pleasantly surprised-odd but well written and acted. It is the #1 movie listed for 2022 on The Daily Beast.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything about this movie was top notch until about halfway through where it veered off the rails in my opinion. In the end I found it so pointless and ridiculous it ruined the entire viewing experience. It was like the scriptwriters had a bump on the head in the middle. I'm definitely in the 3 % who gave it a thumbs down.

About the Irish accent. I once was on a big project and a team of fellows from Ireland were sent over to straighten out some problems. It took a few days for me to understand them. At one point I was in an elevator with them and a co-worker. We were discussing an issue and they exited the elevator two floors before I and the coworker did. The coworker said, "I didn't know you could speak their language". I say "Aye, I can". He said "what language is that?" I said, "English".

So the accent in the movie isn't the full on Irish accent, but yes, many people may want sub-titles on. The movie will seem better for it.
I have to admit I was a bit put off by the seemingly clueless Colin Farrell character. I Googled a synopsis and was surprised it had parallels to the Irish Civil War.

olbobcat

I hope I am not the only one noticing that hollywood product has sank down to just superhero movies and special effects. Or the junk, covid-era, low budget nonsense that would not even pass high-school drama class as far as acting and story line. I miss unusual, unique movies that made you sit up and admire the creativity, acting, cinematography, etc. We stop more movies at the start than we watch now despite having thousands available on demand! No, I am not talking about some artsy movie with subtitles either. Just fresh, pleasant entertainment.

So I thought I create a thread and post the few gems that are the exception in the above. Such was the movie, The Banshees of Inisherin. Here is a trailer that gives away some of the story so I suggest not watching it and just go and find the movie instead:

It is a story set in 1930s island off the coast of Ireland. It starts kind of strange and slow but picks up steam with cleaver and at times dark/funny dialog. Cinematography is near excellent with beautiful shots that suit the story. And the soundtrack is wonderful as well (available on Tidal). I suggest turning on the subtitles as the English accent (to me anyway) is quite authentic irish with local words that are unique there, making it hard to understand at times.

Rotten tomatoes score is 97% so critics agree with quality of the movie.

Set aside a couple of hours to enjoy this unusual movie and superb acting by Collin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson. And supporting cast as well.
If you check out the Film4 Production company website it will amaze you how many good movies they have made over the years.

beeface

In terms of stuff that's come out in the past couple of years, the following stand out to me. Mind, I haven't had the time to watch as many new releases as I usually do.

Drive My Car (97% on RT)

The Power of the Dog (94% on RT)

Station Eleven (98% on RT)

Station Eleven is a limited series, but let's just pretend it's a long movie for the purpose of this thread.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Banshees of Inisherin are on my list to watch. Sometimes a documentary works for me. I recently watched Sidney and thought that quite good, and today something I'd not noticed before called Dads that I quite enjoyed.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Just plain fun, and charming.

BDE4B459-71A0-4E26-8286-64E1C5FF9C6B.jpeg

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I enjoyed Triangle of Sadness
Indeed, watch it without any clue/trailer. I always watch movies without knowing anything.

“Druk” is also great.

1671692559877.jpeg

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Barry Lyndon

The Gentlemen

Isle of Dogs

Grand Budapest Hotel

The great beauty (subtitles); Youth

Le Mans ‘66 (Ford vs Ferrari)

The lives of others (subtitled)

Her

Gattaca

Watching “Mad Men” series now. Exceptional!

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
anglophilic (celtic loving)

I don’t think that’s what the word means. The Angles were a Germanic people, not a Celtic one. ;) Regardless, not my point.

If I look at my favourite filmmakers, their best movies (according to me) don’t exactly fit the topic. Except perhaps for Lasse Hallström, almost all of his films are uplifting and can be watched many times over. I’ll offer for your consideration Chocolat and The Hundred-Foot Journey.

Then there is Wes Anderson, I believe the Budapest Hotel or Moonrise Kingdom will warm anyone’s heart with lovingly and meticulously crafted weirdness.

Lars von Trier doesn’t do much in the way of family entertainment, although Melancholia is a rare slip in that regard. It’s the most watchable and poignant end-of-the-world movie, that‘ll keep you coming back and back.

Other fare (fitting the subject) that I occasionally admit to loving includes The Sound of Music, True Lies, The Fifth Element, Avanti! and Driving Ms Daisy.

Last edited:

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Coda, Power of the Dog, and Where the Crawdads Sing are standouts for me in the past couple of years. Too many great older films to list but here’s a few favorites of mine: Harold and Maude, Bagdad Cafe (1987), Big Fish, Bullets Over Broadway, My Cousin Vinny.

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Coda, Power of the Dog, and Where the Crawdads Sing are standouts for me in the past couple of years. Too many great older films to list but here’s a few favorites of mine: Harold and Maude, Bagdad Cafe (1987), Big Fish, Bullets Over Broadway, My Cousin Vinny.

How could I forget Big Fish by the inimitable Tim Burton!

Top Bottom