• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Overseas

Major Contributor
Not a great day for me :(
Streaming by phone - USB OTG - E50: Tidal (subscription) works with stops (?!), NOT WORKING - Spotify (free), Deezer (subscription), Tunein (free).

Swapped to E30: all apps work flawlessly, same cables, same setup.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Yeah, new observation: Tidal HIFI subscription is the only phone app that asks for permission to access E50 (?!?!?!). Once you grant permission, Tidal works, though it stops sometimes.

The rest of the music apps, free or subscription, do not ask for any permission, they play but no sound.
My conclusion: E50 not broken, but not a plug'n'play device for various non-laptop use cases. Looks like a complicated device that needs laptop acces, probably firmware update & shit. Not for the average non technical guy, sorry.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Figured it out, re. streaming by phone via USB OTG - all is fine but...
If you use Tidal, the phone app asks for your permission to lock to the E50 DAC (no mention for what, no mention of MQA - I have TIDAL HIFI non-MQA subscription), then it locks to the DAC and no other music app can play anything to the DAC unless you reset the connection (plug out the USB cable) !

This is then a Tidal MQA bug so to say, the more weird as I do not have the MQA sub and the permission notification says nothing about MQA. If you ignore the permission request, Tidal & any other app works just fine, anytime, no problem. fck.

Overseas

Major Contributor
It is a bug as user experience at least, as it affects a non Mqa Tidal subscriber.

Technically ok BUT both Tidal and/or Topping should print a warning/ instruction on the box: 'When you connect for MQA, the Tidal connection will act exclusively until connexion cable reset'.

But hey, technically it may be a bug, as long as it blocks the DAC even if you close the Tidal phone app.

Veri

Master Contributor
Sorry but this seems on MQA, with their multi-level unfolding unpacking. The E50 MQA decoding happens over the ESS chip which is active on all inputs. Topping has nothing to do with that besides having selected this particular DAC chip. Can't even turn it off. For older devices, MQA decoding is customer coded on a microprocessor.

Reactions: GPJ

Overseas

Major Contributor
I am talking about user experience, which is a mixed animal. I was about to return E50, but figured this whole MQA impact mess all alone and I am happy to keep the product. So the interested party in sales should be... Topping. It is not an engineering issue, it is a usage & client information issue.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Simple question for you (all), important answer to me:
as long as my E50 shows '44.1 PCM' rate, can I be sure I have cd quality signal to my stereo system, no matter what my source arrangement is that delivers optical signal to the e50 ?

Reactions: GPJ

Overseas

Major Contributor
E50 preamp function - check.
Bad news first: it was tested on the main in of AS1100, so it was compared to Yamaha preamp.
Good news: it works.
Not so good news: nothing more to add to the wording of the good news above.
Best news: I do not need E50 preamp, I only need the DAC.

arrow0309

E50 preamp function - check.
Bad news first: it was tested on the main in of AS1100, so it was compared to Yamaha preamp.
Good news: it works.
Not so good news: nothing more to add to the wording of the good news above.
Best news: I do not need E50 preamp, I only need the DAC.
I'm trying to understand what the bad news was.
I'm also using it in preamp SE to my active speakers (edifier s351db).

Overseas

Major Contributor
Does not 'sound' as good as AS1100 integrated. Would not use it with a power like AS1100. Now I am ready to take the blame for my non technical opinion.

arrow0309

Does not 'sound' as good as AS1100 integrated. Would not use it with a power like AS1100. Now I am ready to take the blame for my non technical opinion.
Well I assume you do have passive speakers that will always accept the Yamaha amp and the E50 in dac mode or the amp + E50 in dac and preamp mode, you cannot exclude the AS1100.
So I don't understand what audio won't sound "as good" as the AS1100 or better what configuration would that be?

Georgeadv

Does the wattage of the power supply matter?

Would it make a difference if i used an apple 5w adapter vs the 60 watt fast charger for example?

Troupster

I just got my E50! I saw the review and knew that this is the one for me. It sounds crisp, transparent, and exciting. I love it.

When the DAC is on, I hear a very quiet, yet audible high-pitched whine coming from the DAC (not from my headphones or speakers). It sounds to me like it's related to the LCD screen on the front of the unit. Granted, I had my ear right next to the unit. Should I be worried about this? Any info/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for everything you do Amir! I love your lil' project here and have seen so many of your reviews I've lost count. Happy holidays to the ASR community!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When the DAC is on, I hear a very quiet, yet audible high-pitched whine coming from the DAC (not from my headphones or speakers). It sounds to me like it's related to the LCD screen on the front of the unit. Granted, I had my ear right next to the unit. Should I be worried about this? Any info/advice is greatly appreciated!
Sometimes a SMPS transformer whines if there is a SMPS or the front display driver IC is whining. If me I would contact the seller and start a service claim.

JaccoW

I think I've posted about this before, but my E50 has a tendency to crash and go into "ERR IN" mode during certain base-heavy sounds.

For example, during playback of the 4K disc of Interstellar, the atmospheric entry scenes with their heavy bass will reliably crash the DAC.

Anyone else ran into this issue?

EDIT: See this post
Alright, about those sudden dropouts of the E50 that others have been experiencing.
The "IN Err" and "Err PNL" message. It happened to me today.

For some reason, this particular youtube video consistently triggers it for me. After the 0:22 mark there seems to be some windnoise that triggers it within 10 seconds. YMMV

Last edited:

Troupster

There are two E50s, but neither of them makes such a sound. It's completely silent.
Does your E50 make any noise whatsoever? Is it completely, totally silent, or just mostly? Mine makes a noise, but it’s very quiet. I’m wondering if I’m being overly sensitive, or if it’s a problem. I don’t like the idea of noise bleeding into the signal chain, or hearing it, for that matter.

Top Bottom