• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

noobie

It is more than perfect for someone new. One box solution and you are done with better performance than countless other solutions.

Yes. New units ship with updated firmware. There is an update for older units.

I have not tested Bluetooth but reports seem to be that it works.
Does the new firmware eliminate clicking, or reduce it?

Received my unit, installed the latest Topping drivers, updated the DX3Pro FW, and I still hearing, but only when bitrate (?) changes (44.1 to 88 or 96) (I exclusively usevTidal). Not a big deal at all to me as the clicking is mild and relatively rare.

Veri

Master Contributor
Does the new firmware eliminate clicking, or reduce it?

Received my unit, installed the latest Topping drivers, updated the DX3Pro FW, and I still hearing, but only when bitrate (?) changes (44.1 to 88 or 96) (I exclusively usevTidal). Not a big deal at all to me as the clicking is mild and relatively rare.
It used to be all the time, as soon as stream is paused (for example every time youtube video starts/stops playing). Now it is only once when sample rate changes, and then connection stays open until change. Much better and hardly annoying.

Klenfo

If you have to use Bluetooth, you should wait for the new firmware when they correct the click issue for Bluetooth. If they plan to fix it. Now it clicks every play/stop

Yuno

If you have to use Bluetooth, you should wait for the new firmware when they correct the click issue for Bluetooth. If they plan to fix it. Now it clicks every play/stop

If you use bitperfect then it does, if you use DirectStream then it only clicks once on startup. I know this is probably obvious but worth clarification because not everyone cares about bitperfect.
I don't know about bluetooth though, I haven't even checked this on my unit, other than checking that it is listed as available device on my smartphone.

Klenfo

If you use bitperfect then it does, if you use DirectStream then it only clicks once on startup. I know this is probably obvious but worth clarification because not everyone cares about bitperfect.
I don't know about bluetooth though, I haven't even checked this on my unit, other than checking that it is listed as available device on my smartphone.
I used aptX and aptX-HD 44.1 and 48 and always clicked at playback start and stop. Obviously, these are unnecessary clicks - there is no sample rate switch.

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
So the unit definitely works with a Harmony Hub, I picked up the Elite yesterday on sale and I'm happy with it.

Only problem is with Activities, the dx3 has different inputs than the Dx7s and the Dx7s is the only Topping product in the Harmony database... So when you change activities in Harmony and it cycles through the dx3 inputs you end up on the wrong one. I assume it's because Dx7s doesn't have Bluetooth and the the dx3 does. So activities are out until we get the Harmony database loaded with dx3 pro data. Does anyone know how to do this?

Otherwise with pure manual control the Harmony works perfecto with dx3 pro

Veri

Master Contributor
I used aptX and aptX-HD 44.1 and 48 and always clicked at playback start and stop. Obviously, these are unnecessary clicks - there is no sample rate switch.
I think it's the connection from qualcomm bluetooth to the 4493 chip. For USB there is XMOS in between, for the qualcomm there is little software to play with only the relay to protect from popping sound, which apparently makes it click constantly instead. I doubt they can solve it without hardware revision.

Klenfo

to protect from popping sound, which apparently makes it click constantly instead
I see that it for protect from popping sound may be. But this realization is not good, every sound means click - any notification - click, music play stop - click. Just like it was via USB. Now USB works fine, Bluetooth still not.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
3. How well does the Bluetooth work and is it an improvement over 4.2
You have to know Bluetooth 5.0 does NOT bring any improvement about Sound Quality. It's all about range and power consumption (or bandwidth). But in the other hand, the Aptx-HD codex is supposed to be a better audible solution.

Veri

Master Contributor
I see that it for protect from popping sound may be. But this realization is not good, every sound means click - any notification - click, music play stop - click. Just like it was via USB. Now USB works fine, Bluetooth still not.
Yes, I see the problem of course and I agree. One thing, click emanates from within device so from a distance it's not too bad. But I think, unless Topping DX4 or DX3S comes out, it will be hard/impossible to fix Bluetooth.

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Sent request to the best of my ability to have the DX3 added officially to the Logitech Harmony database so we won't need to piggy back off the Dx7s entry

https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D55A00008I3oeaSAB/please-add-topping-dx3-pro-hex-codes If anyone sees any problems with my post on Logitech's board please add to the discussion, lets' get this added properly so we can use it in activities on the Harmony.

It pretty much eliminates the 0db line out surprise. Nothing was playing, but one of our cats hit the line out button of the stock remote while we were in the living room, heard the hiss and jumped to turn off the power amp lol. You can bury the line out button to the last option of the device menu on the Elite remote, so someone would need to specifically select the amp on the remote, go into the actions, scroll to the bottom and select line out, it won't happen lol. When you're just watching TV or listening to music you just use the hard buttons on the remote and don't even need to interact with the screen stuff.

Last edited:

hrbngr

gwertheim

I think that the best thing you can do would be to buy the DX3pro from a reputable seller w/a legitimate return policy or perhaps from a Amazon seller that also allows returns. Get the unit, update the firmware if needed, tryout BT, etc and use the unit heavily for that 30 day window. It does seem like the unit is more reliable as a DAC only at this point if you have any concerns about longevity, but of course, ymmv.

Good Luck!

Wolven

My DX3pro just turned itself off for no reason whatsoever, running in pure dac mode.
I was able to turn it back on without a problem. However, this doesn't inspire confidence.
I have had the unit for almost 2 months. I like the sound but common you have to be kidding me.

gypsygib

My DX3pro just turned itself off for no reason whatsoever, running in pure dac mode.
I was able to turn it back on without a problem. However, this doesn't inspire confidence.
I have had the unit for almost 2 months. I like the sound but common you have to be kidding me.

Approx how many hours of use? I plan on 'stress testing' mine before I decide to keep it (thinking maybe 100hrs with some cheap headphones at 10 hr intervals), I know JBL tests their monitors for 100 hrs at full power prior to releasing to market for QC, guessing/hoping that would be sufficient). My amazon return window would terminate after 30 days.

gwertheim

So the unit definitely works with a Harmony Hub, I picked up the Elite yesterday on sale and I'm happy with it.

Only problem is with Activities, the dx3 has different inputs than the Dx7s and the Dx7s is the only Topping product in the Harmony database... So when you change activities in Harmony and it cycles through the dx3 inputs you end up on the wrong one. I assume it's because Dx7s doesn't have Bluetooth and the the dx3 does. So activities are out until we get the Harmony database loaded with dx3 pro data. Does anyone know how to do this?

Otherwise with pure manual control the Harmony works perfecto with dx3 pro
That's amazing

Top Bottom