• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Sorry for somewhat off topic question, but if I got a Harmony Hub could I program the thing to change inputs on the dx3 and adjust the volume? I've been looking for an excuse to get a Harmony Hub and eliminating the wifey risk of 0db accidental mode might just be the nudge I need.

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Look up the thread on DX7s remote and it was documented how to do that....
Looks like someone got the codes to Logitech for the DX7S and if I read correctly the remote of the Dx7s is effectively the same as the dx3 pro so we should be off to the races

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Looks like someone got the codes to Logitech for the DX7S and if I read correctly the remote of the Dx7s is effectively the same as the dx3 pro so we should be off to the races
Correct. I have used my DX3 Pro to control the DX7s.

Yuno

Out of curiosity, did someone ever experience their dx3 powering off out of nowhere? Obviously we are talking about it powering off when it's connected via USB to PC that is running. It happened to me on 2 occasions since I bought it. I suspect it's something with auto suspend malfunctioning. Clicking on power button brings it back no problem, so not a big deal anyway.
I have all possible power management USB suspend options disabled and high performance preset in windows 10.

Stein

Out of curiosity, did someone ever experience their dx3 powering off out of nowhere? Obviously we are talking about it powering off when it's connected via USB to PC that is running. It happened to me on 2 occasions since I bought it. I suspect it's something with auto suspend malfunctioning. Clicking on power button brings it back no problem, so not a big deal anyway.
I have all possible power management USB suspend options disabled and high performance preset in windows 10.

Do you mean the LCD display shows a dot?

Klenfo

I had it 2 times too. Directly during playback, the device turned itself off. Could this be due to overheating? The device's case is cold outside btw. If it is not overheating, then apparently some other device design error.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Is it the same even if connected to another USB port?
You need to connect to another PC and test it. I think that some setting or software is affecting

MattG

I have mine connected to a Raspberry Pi via USB, used as a standalone DAC, playing 24/7. One time it seemed like it mysteriously shut down on its own... but it hasn't happened since, so I figured maybe I did something and forgot. But since you and others are mentioning it, now I'm back to thinking it did shut off on its own. Since I'm using it only as a DAC, I don't see how heat could be an issue. More likely software glitch.

chrisliuboy

Happened to me once, when I was watching Youtube in chrome, >.>

cooleskimo

Do I have to??? :) I have so much to test and DX3Pro is my music listening DAC so I hate to put it to test right now....
Would amirm please say whether a 3.5 headphone jack has to be inserted fully or part way into his DX3Pro to get audio to both left and right. My Sony WH-1000X M3 jack which is a 3.5 TRS only receives audio to the left side when fully inserted. The jack has to be withdrawn 4mm to get audio to both channels.

Veri

Master Contributor
Would amirm please say whether a 3.5 headphone jack has to be inserted fully or part way into his DX3Pro to get audio to both left and right. My Sony WH-1000X M3 jack which is a 3.5 TPS only receives audio to the left side when fully inserted. The jack has to be withdrawn 4mm to get audio to both channels.
Mine has no problems with 3.5mm using my HD650. I remember much earlier in the thread someone having the same problem though (with full insertion).

Yuno

Do you mean the LCD display shows a dot?
Yes. Same as if it went into suspend.

Is it the same even if connected to another USB port?
You need to connect to another PC and test it. I think that some setting or software is affecting
Haven't tested it on anything else. This is honestly too minor of an issue to bother, was just curious if it's just my unit but I see a lot of people reporting it.

I have mine connected to a Raspberry Pi via USB, used as a standalone DAC, playing 24/7. One time it seemed like it mysteriously shut down on its own...

Happened to me once, when I was watching Youtube in chrome, >.>

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for confirmation. Do any of you use auto-suspend feature? For the record, I'm using it and I was also thinking that very likely this might be the cause of it. It just somehow bugs out and suspends dac despite getting connection via USB.

Stein

Haven't tested it on anything else. This is honestly too minor of an issue to bother, was just curious if it's just my unit but I see a lot of people reporting it.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for confirmation. Do any of you use auto-suspend feature? For the record, I'm using it and I was also thinking that very likely this might be the cause of it. It just somehow bugs out and suspends dac despite getting connection via USB.

Mine had exactly that issue three times, before it got stuck into standby mode. I'm planning to return it to the AliExpress vendor this week soon. I hope this doesn't happen to yours :(

chrisliuboy

Yes, I use auto-suspend by default, it only happened once so I am not concerned that too much, but it will be suck when the audio just gone in the mid of a shooting game. o_O

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would amirm please say whether a 3.5 headphone jack has to be inserted fully or part way into his DX3Pro to get audio to both left and right. My Sony WH-1000X M3 jack which is a 3.5 TRS only receives audio to the left side when fully inserted. The jack has to be withdrawn 4mm to get audio to both channels.
It should work when fully inserted. What you are doing is feeding one channel to both headphone drivers which is NOT right. Please test with another headphone to be sure the problem is in DX3Pro as opposed to headphone cable.

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
For those who have reported issues, all of them have been with the headphone amp is that correct?

If that's the case, whatever it sucks, but if this thing breaks after warranty is gone, if the line out and DAC work just fine, then it'll make a good DAC that you could pair with something like a JDS Atom or something... That's obviously not ideal but it's a decent measuring DAC and from my understanding no one has had that part of the unit die on them.

MacDac

(...) However, I would just use an inexpensive and just as transparent D30 if an amp wasn't needed.

Apart from being equipped with different DAC chip, looks like D30 is also far from perfect. According to some Amazon customers, at least...

Btw, perhaps removing the entire headphone amplifier section from future versions of DX3Pro and providing the DAC with better quality parts instead would make more sense, than releasing more versatile, albeit faulty devices? ;)

gwertheim

Hey all, been lurking around the forums for the last couple of weeks and just finished reading all 88 pages of information here and I have a couple of questions that if possible answered in the most layman possible:

1. Is this a good dac/amp for someone who is just getting into hi fi audio?
2. Did topping address the initial clicking problems in later batches of the dx3 pro?
3. How well does the Bluetooth work and is it an improvement over 4.2
4. Is this better than the mx3?

I am just trying to cut through the noise of the thread and get the answers most non/new people to hifi audio are looking for

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
1. Is this a good dac/amp for someone who is just getting into hi fi audio?
It is more than perfect for someone new. One box solution and you are done with better performance than countless other solutions.

2. Did topping address the initial clicking problems in later batches of the dx3 pro?
Yes. New units ship with updated firmware. There is an update for older units.

3. How well does the Bluetooth work and is it an improvement over 4.2
I have not tested Bluetooth but reports seem to be that it works.

Top Bottom