• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Hey BB,
I dare you to do 2 demi-tasse [=une-tasse?] shots of Turkish coffee, then comeback and tell us your auditory perception changes, that we were discussing before you rudely interrupted us.:facepalm:
What? What did you say? ;) I had Turkish coffee of some sort while in Istanbul, but that was 47-48 yrs ago(hated it).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Happy "National Coffee Day"!
Yes, I guess, someone picked September 29th to be THAT day!
I was NOT part of that selection committee >> Don't Shoot! I am just the (volunteer) messenger!;)

ELberto

Forum Donor
Cheers :)

crema.jpg

Eyesluna

most of my coffee is pour overs (v60) using the new varios that are basically forte's internally with the 54mm steel burrs I aligned myself, I was debating getting the fellow ode instead of the new vario but after seeing a fair number of people with tolerance issues (with the ssp burrs) and my own gripes with fellow I went the baratza route for my flat burrs, not been disappointed at all.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Pressure tests and descaling done.

Disappointingly, but also surprised... My machine is tuned like older Miss Sylvias with higher pressure. I get 12 bars with the guage. (I had seen mention that v1-v3 Sylvias were tuned high, but then they started setting the OPV at more appropriate levels from v4 and on. Clearly, no. *shrugs Was expecting it to be low.)

Pile o'work just came in that will keep the household tied up through next week. First opportunity I get will be adjusting the OPV to 9 Bars... That's the low hanging fruit. May have to adjust again when the Pump gets changed out, but not too worried.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Froth, urgh, microfoam only please, were not animals.
Sorry @Soniclife I am NOT such an advanced humanoid, I haven't graduated from the "froth" stage in my learning curve.
Heck, I am lucky if I can even get 45gms of regular milk frothing a third (by volume) but WITHOUT scorching it.

So, per @Count Arthur's original request, we must also explain to others WTF "WTMF" means!;)

dfuller

Major Contributor

Disappointingly, but also surprised... My machine is tuned like older Miss Sylvias with higher pressure. I get 12 bars with the guage. (I had seen mention that v1-v3 Sylvias were tuned high, but then they started setting the OPV at more appropriate levels from v4 and on. Clearly, no. *shrugs Was expecting it to be low.)

Pile o'work just came in that will keep the household tied up through next week. First opportunity I get will be adjusting the OPV to 9 Bars... That's the low hanging fruit. May have to adjust again when the Pump gets changed out, but not too worried.
Good news is it won't change with a new pump. Which reminds me, I need to worry about mounting that rotary pump again. Not quite sure how yet.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Good news is it won't change with a new pump. Which reminds me, I need to worry about mounting that rotary pump again. Not quite sure how yet.
Indeed, it won't.
It will just be a "blank slate" so to speak. Sometimes that pump sounds sick. I don't know how else to describe it.

I'm eager for a reset if I can get things working on an even keel. I will need to reset my whole protocol, it seems. The question is, will I go back to 20 g dose with an 8 g yield in 40s if I cant get a more "normal" approach to work?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you really going to starbucks in the AM, for your caffeine fix, while your machine is under re-construction?
Today, I ended up in some Coffee/Surf [?] shop in an industrial area 5 miles from the beach.
I really wanted to try out their Ethiopian beans but @$28 for 8 ounces just made me gulp... down their house-blend quad shots instead!;)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Are you really going to starbucks in the AM, for your caffeine fix, while your machine is under re-construction?
Today, I ended up in some Coffee/Surf [?] shop in an industrial area 5 miles from the beach.
I really wanted to try out their Ethiopian beans but @$28 for 8 ounces just made me gulp... down their house-blend quad shots instead!;)
There are a few... better quality... cafes I can visit before I stoop to starfcuks. :p

Changing the pump won't be much of a problem. I watched a YT video! :p Likewise, changing the pressure will be easy.
The one I'm more concerned with is the burrs on the grinder. I haven't searched yet to see if there are any service videos for that.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Never consumed it, don't get quite along with caffeine. But love the scent of it.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:p... :p... The one I'm more concerned with is the burrs on the grinder. I haven't searched yet to see if there are any service videos for that.
Do any of them YT videos caution to use care with "burr-adjustments"?
I am sure it also applies to installing them!
My burr-grinder manual cautions to only adjust the burrs while the grinder is RUNNING.
[I cheat, if it is a 'micro' adjustment.;)]

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Do any of them YT videos caution to use care with "burr-adjustments"?
I am sure it also applies to installing them!
My burr-grinder manual cautions to only adjust the burrs while the grinder is RUNNING.
[I cheat, if it is a 'micro' adjustment.;)]
Fining the grind (closing the burrs) while it is not running can be a problem as particulate matter in the burrs may prevent you from making that adjustment... if forced somewhat, I could see how the burrs could then lock up which is what I was always warned about in Barista training. Coarsening the grind, on the other hand (opening the burrs) should not result in any potential damage. I still always make that adjustment with no beans in the hopper.

For the changing of the burrs, I will have to disassemble some part of the grinder as a whole in order to access the motor. Needless to say, it will be empty, unplugged, thoroughly cleaned... then I will work to remove the burrs.

I did find some info on my grinder in home-barista.com. It does not sound like it will be a walk in the park. Fortunately, I have an idea of what to expect.

The one warning I have seen mentioned for changing Burrs, regardless of machine, is to make absolute certain that the mechanism be absolutely clean. Any remaining particulate matter can prevent the proper seating of the Burrs.

Booker

Forum Donor
I have been lurking around entry-level upgrades last two months, when used Lidl "espresso" maker, grinding with manual CeraMill for around three years. Finally, I decided to purchase a slightly modded Gaggia Classic New (not turning off automatically, OPV adjusted to 10 bars), accompanied by the 18g VST basket and Eureka Manuale as the grinder. So far very satisfied with my shots.

Overall it is a very similar hobby to music listening when you can tinker with gear, read a ton of reviews, compare them, and at the same time think about the next upgrade of any kind :)

ELberto

Forum Donor
I have been lurking around entry-level upgrades last two months, when used Lidl "espresso" maker, grinding with manual CeraMill for around three years. Finally, I decided to purchase a slightly modded Gaggia Classic New (not turning off automatically, OPV adjusted to 10 bars), accompanied by the 18g VST basket and Eureka Manuale as the grinder. So far very satisfied with my shots.

Overall it is a very similar hobby to music listening when you can tinker with gear, read a ton of reviews, compare them, and at the same time think about the next upgrade of any kind :)
Agree! I chased the perfect espresso for a long time after having a shot in a Portland, Oregon cafe that was unlike anything I had before. Like listening to a high end setup at a shop and being blown away. Over the years there's been 3 espresso machine and grinder upgrades-- each one a little better than the previous setup and now, finally, I'm at end-game status and coffee life is gooooood :D

Top Bottom