• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any of you have experience with the ATC SCM300ASLT or PSLT?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Self noises cues are a type of environmental cues, specifically tailored to our studio design's environmental response. I don't understand what you don't understand. How is this confusing?

If many of these are well known to you, then I guess you read them. Which makes you not putting two and two together all the more surprising.

You're in the troll category I fear. I have no interest in having any sort of conversation in here. There's nothing to be gained.
Self noise would be, coughing, sneezing, heavy breathing ( eyebrows raised) belching, farting, hiccuping and profound sighing.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

A customer has a pair of 300’s are they passive he was sold a huge amp to go with them.
Keith

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Self noises cues are a type of environmental cues, specifically tailored to our studio design's environmental response. I don't understand what you don't understand. How is this confusing?

If many of these are well known to you, then I guess you read them. Which makes you not putting two and two together all the more surprising.

You're in the troll category I fear. I have no interest in having any sort of conversation in here. There's nothing to be gained.
Your design puts noises generated by the operator such as heartbeats or respiratory or gastric beats back to a normal level. If I remember, you explained that it was the role of the diffusers located above the operator.
Remove the anechoic character at the listening position
Did I summarize well?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Simply as you didn't show till now any concrete research basis on which exact environmental cues are used, what their psychoacoustic relevance is and measurements how you optimise them in your studio design. Just throwing a couple vague buzzwords and expecting others to explain your "invention" for you is not any conversation but this strategy is rather witnessed in snake oil audio marketing.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Simply as you didn't show till now any concrete research basis on which exact environmental cues are used, what their psychoacoustic relevance is and measurements how you optimise them in your studio design. Just throwing a couple vague buzzwords and expecting others to explain your "invention" for you is not any conversation but this strategy is rather witnessed in snake oil audio marketing.
I don't want to step into this argument, but I understand why he's hesitant to reveal exactly what he does - no doubt his competitors (and others) are trying to figure out what the Northward "secret sauce" is.

Besides that, this is so beyond off-topic.

I've heard the 200s in a decent (WSDG) room and every ATC from the 50 on up has about the exact same sonic character - better dynamic behavior than most, relatively limited LFX for their size but with good control, generally pretty even-handed with regard to mids and treble. I can't say I'd recommend any of them in anything other than a flush mount design.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't want to step into this argument, but I understand why he's hesitant to reveal exactly what he does - no doubt his competitors (and others) are trying to figure out what the Northward "secret sauce" is.
Acoustics is engineering, no alchemy. :p
Seriously now, no one expects a company to reveal exact how their solutions are implemented, but in serious engineering based solutions and companies a problem is described, the related science is quoted and used and comparison results of the situation before and after solution are shown and compared, all missing in this case.
The excuse of not revealing anything and just throwing few buzzwords because of the fear of alleged copying comes usually when their is no seamless substantial basis behind.

Last edited:

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously now, no one expects a company to reveal exact how their solutions are implemented, but in serious engineering based solutions and companies a problem is described, the related science is quoted and used and comparison results of the situation before and after solution are shown and compared, all missing in this case.
The excuse of not revealing anything and just throwing few buzzwords because of the fear of alleged copying comes usually when their is no seamless substantial basis behind.
Why is this so hard for you to understand? Discomfort in anechoic spaces is by definition subjective, and has been reported probably a million times. Hundreds of commentators have explored it, including your man Toole, and concluded that the absence of reflected sounds coming from the person themself is the cause. That one such commentator calls it "self noise" strikes me as admirably concise, and not in the least controversial. That he provides reflections that relieve the discomfort without compromising overall acoustics strikes me as a fine thing. None of this needs detailed explanation, surely?

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Plenty of companies in a plethora of fields, whether that be food, chemical, formula 1 racing, agriculture, etc, rely heavily on science to engineer solutions but do not disclose the details of how they arrive at their solutions to any given problem so as to maintain their advantage in a competitive environment. I’d prefer everything to be open source with no secret formulae, but that just does not fly in the capitalist system.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is this so hard for you to understand? Discomfort in anechoic spaces is by definition subjective, and has been reported probably a million times. Hundreds of commentators have explored it, including your man Toole, and concluded that the absence of reflected sounds coming from the person themself is the cause. That one such commentator calls it "self noise" strikes me as admirably concise, and not in the least controversial. That he provides reflections that relieve the discomfort without compromising overall acoustics strikes me as a fine thing. None of this needs detailed explanation, surely?
It surely does as there is no principles explanation how this is achieved, nor measurements that show/prove it and comparisons to existing designs.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Plenty of companies in a plethora of fields, whether that be food, chemical, formula 1 racing, agriculture, etc, rely heavily on science to engineer solutions but do not disclose the details of how they arrive at their solutions to any given problem so as to maintain their advantage in a competitive environment. I’d prefer everything to be open source with no secret formulae, but that just does not fly in the capitalist system.
As I wrote above he doesn't need to disclose details but for example show comparisons to competing designs which also the other industries you mention do, no company will be successful on the long run just by vague claims which aren't proven by hard facts.

goat76

Major Contributor
It surely does as there is no explanation how this is achieved, nor measurements that show/prove it and comparisons to existing designs.
Why don't you just take a look at his website, there are many pictures you can see of the rooms he made. Hint: look for the positions of the diffusion panels. :)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why don't you just take a look at his website, there are many pictures you can see of the rooms he made. Hint: look for the positions of the diffusion panels. :)
Could you please post a couple here as the media tab doesn't seem to work here (tested on 3 different browsers)?

caught gesture

Forum Donor
As I wrote above he doesn't need to disclose details but for example show comparisons to competing designs which also the other industries you mention do, no company will be successful on the long run just by vague claims which aren't proven by hard facts.
How about the supplement industry for example. Massively profitable with hardly any hard facts. Profitable for decades. You ask Northward for measurements, but he works for clients so that is privileged data which requires the customer‘s permission to publish. Maybe he is not comfortable asking his customers to do this just to prove a point to an anonymous poster in a thread on a niche website. He is under no obligation. Businesses needing a solution spend money with him to meet their needs. He’s happy to work with ATC, once again for reasons he has stated.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about the supplement industry for example. Massively profitable with hardly any hard facts. Profitable for decades.
You come to my point, also snake oil audio is also similar.

You ask Northward for measurements, but he works for clients so that is privileged data which requires the customer‘s permission to publish. Maybe he is not comfortable asking his customers to do this just to prove a point to an anonymous poster in a thread on a niche website. He is under no obligation.
I wrote above my opinion about those excuses, of course he is under no obligation, on other hand we are luckily also free to discuss here discrepancies from bold statements and lack of hard facts.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
You come to my point, also snake oil audio is also similar.

I wrote above my opinion about those excuses, of course he is under no obligation, on other hand we are luckily also free to discuss here discrepancies from bold statements and lack of hard facts.
Your point was, no company will be successful on the long run just by vague claims which aren't proven by hard facts. That point is demonstrably untrue (The global dietary supplements market size was valued at USD 151.9 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.9% from 2022 to 2030). I’m in full agreement that specious claims are used in probably all industries to generate sales. Even when the data is made available, it will be tilted towards the positives and not any negative consequences (Roundup anyone!). If you really want to know about his designs, why don’t you contact one of his clients as listed on his website. Ask them if they can provide the measurements that you need.

goat76

Major Contributor
Could you please post a couple here as the media tab doesn't seem to work here (tested on 3 different browsers)?
No, the media tab doesn't work, I think you can click on the next tab after the media tab, and under that choose “media”.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your point was, no company will be successful on the long run just by vague claims which aren't proven by hard facts.
You are right there, I should had added "in serious engineering competitive fields like the ones you mentioned above" where of course homeopathy etc don't count to.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
You are right there, I should had added "in serious engineering competitive fields like the ones you mentioned above" where of course homeopathy etc don't count to.
Looking at your original comment that I commented on you clearly state, in serious engineering based solutions. I moved the goalposts when I introduced health supplements! Sorry about that.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at your original comment that I commented on you clearly state, in serious engineering based solutions. I moved the goalposts when I introduced health supplements! Sorry about that.
No problem and thank you for checking again and correcting! :)

Top Bottom