• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can dx3 pros sound improve with better power supply? I use it with monitors, so as dac and preamp. If so, which one to buy? Thanks
I couldn't say with this specific unit. But, these times, we tend to see highly competents DAC which cannot be upgraded with a different PSU: Benchmark DAC3, ADI-2 DAC, Chord Qutest...

kukocz

Forum Donor
Hi,
Mine Dx3 pro arrived today (bought on 11.11). Device looks very solid but remote is made from cheap plastic. I'll have to order aluminium DX7's remote in the future :)
BTW, have you seen upcoming D70 and D50s dacs? I've found a little brochure inside the box showing new models.
6C94A1F5-6C88-4A9A-8720-F2376CD14376.jpegBA366EAF-0218-47E9-9582-2ADA0FACB774.jpeg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
Mine Dx3 pro arrived today (bought on 11.11). Device looks very solid but remote is made from cheap plastic. I'll have to order aluminium DX7's remote in the future :)
BTW, have you seen upcoming D70 and D50s dacs? I've found a little brochure inside the box showing new models.
View attachment 18123View attachment 18124
There is already a D70 topic here. Never heard about a D50S, though. Seems very similar with added BT.

mikehoopes

Hi,
View attachment 18123View attachment 18124
The spec sheets don't show this, but hopefully the Bluetooth audio will include AAC support; I'd venture to guess that Bluetooth will be much more common method than USB for iOS devices to interface with these units, and SBC would be a disappointing codec for such ostensibly high-performing DACs.

Krunok

Major Contributor
The spec sheets don't show this, but hopefully the Bluetooth audio will include AAC support; I'd venture to guess that Bluetooth will be much more common method than USB for iOS devices to interface with these units, and SBC would be a disappointing codec for such ostensibly high-performing DACs.

It supports APTX HD, so why would you wish for AAC which is inferior?

https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/bluetooth-audio-guide/page-2

Krunok

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, iOS devices do not support any flavor of aptX. They would fall back to SBC in the absence of AAC.

If you read the second article I linked you wouldn't use the word "unfortunately".. :p

Codecs and Bitrates Comparison
  • AAC: 250 kbps
  • SBC: 328 kbps
  • aptX: 352 kbps
  • aptX HD: 576 kbps
  • LDAC: 990 kbps

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
AAC is a far more advanced codec than the others. It has a psychoacoustics model so is able to compress audio to far greater level and still maintain fidelity. The rest are "dumb" in contrast so require far higher bitrates for quality.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

yue

I asked Topping to confirm playback from MacBook and they did (it is failing on my MacBook Pro).

Unlike iOS devices, Macs should support both AptX and AAC just fine. Be sure to check your software configuration and make sure either one is selected.

I canceled my DX3Pro order so I have no way to test it. But I believe it should support iPhones and Macs as this is what csr8675 capable of.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you read the second article I linked you wouldn't use the word "unfortunately".. :p

cuz 320 kbps mp3 is better than 256 kbps AAC for fidelity, amirite?

Varenyk

Bought it on Ebay about a week ago, this is the email I've received from the seller. Seems like the demand is greater than supply at the moment.

Hi,sorry to bother you,

We have to tell you some information about Topping DX3 PRO.

This product has just been listed, manufacturers can not give us the goods so quickly, our staff has negotiated with them, they said they will ask the factory to provide a batch of goods as soon as possible, as far as possible to issue this week.

Now, every company is urging them, because everyone has no goods to send, but all machines will choose to be delivered by DHL, which takes about seven days,please wait for patiently.

In addition,eBay will ask us to fill in the tracking number, the tracking number is correct, but if you can't track it next week, please contact me, I will contact the courier and check it for you.

Thanks for understanding.
Thank you.
Regards.

Varenyk

On a different subject, to those who already have the unit.

How warm to the touch does it get?

In your opinion is this a neutral, warm, or bright sounding device?

I live in an area where summers are brutal so it would be nice to know. Thank you.

ngs428

Bought it on Ebay about a week ago, this is the email I've received from the seller. Seems like the demand is greater than supply at the moment.

Hi,sorry to bother you,

We have to tell you some information about Topping DX3 PRO.

This product has just been listed, manufacturers can not give us the goods so quickly, our staff has negotiated with them, they said they will ask the factory to provide a batch of goods as soon as possible, as far as possible to issue this week.

Now, every company is urging them, because everyone has no goods to send, but all machines will choose to be delivered by DHL, which takes about seven days,please wait for patiently.

In addition,eBay will ask us to fill in the tracking number, the tracking number is correct, but if you can't track it next week, please contact me, I will contact the courier and check it for you.

Thanks for understanding.
Thank you.
Regards.

Which eBay seller is that? Are they still showing that they have stock on eBay? Hopefully they come through for you.

Not all sellers are authorized resellers for Topping on eBay. Hopefully you picked the right ones.

eBay authorized: http://en.tpdz.net/contact/c=1&i=11&comContentId=11.html

Last edited:

Varenyk

Which eBay seller is that? Are they still showing that they have stock on eBay? Hopefully they come through for you.

Not all sellers are authorized resellers for Topping on eBay. Hopefully you picked the right ones.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/topssale

How would I know if they're authorized and how would it affect me?

Their Ebay product page says "More than 10 available" but according to that email, they most definitely do not.

ngs428

https://www.ebay.com/usr/topssale

How would I know if they're authorized and how would it affect me?

Their Ebay product page says "More than 10 available" but according to that email, they most definitely do not.

I just put the link in my post above. I don’t see topsale on that list for eBay. But they are an authorized seller on amazon.com. So it may be an omission from the eBay page.

Here is the amazon authorized seller list: http://en.tpdz.net/contact/c=1&i=9&comContentId=9.html

These links are at the bottom of the Topping home page.

If you don’t buy from an authorized reseller I assume you would not have a warranty. For whatever that is worth...

Varenyk

Thank you for the explanation, this all seems rather unnecessarily complicated.

How else would anyone be selling a DX3 if it hadn't come from Topping?

Fakes or stolen? Highly doubt it considering the product has only been out for a month.

Top Bottom