• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Doctor Who - The 14th Doctor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the difference between exploring contemporary issues in ways which are organic and form part of good stories, along with inclusiveness, and trying to shoehorn a story onto an issue of the moment in a way which feels forced and false. I don't think anyone objects to the first case (well I'm sure some do, but most don't), while for the second case it is too easy to dismiss critics as '-ists' and '-phobes' which people quite reasonably object to. I've seen very little negativity towards Ncuti Gatwa (yes, there is some, but it's a small minority based on my reading of DW fan sites) and most comment has been extremely positive and there is a real sense of excitement in the air. Which kind of indicates most people really aren't interested in arguing about Ncuti's race or sexual orientation (whatever it is) and are really wishing him and RTD well.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
I think it might just be a little unfair or presumptuous to the actor to assume he has been picked for the role due to a particular physical or unknown sexual attribute, when it may well just be based on his experience and/or worth as an actor. What is needed for a good tv show is an excellent lead actor, good supporting actors, excellent writing and a willing audience. Let's hope this new actor as the Doctor can act well, show some charisma and respect the legacy of the role in the process... not an easy task as #14. Let's also hope Russell T Davies can turn this sinking ship of script writing around... that last Sea Devils episode by Chris Chibnall was shit.

JSmith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it might just be a little unfair or presumptuous to the actor to assume he has been picked for the role due to a particular physical or unknown sexual attribute, when it may well just be based on his experience and/or worth as an actor.
Well, the assumption it's not totally without reason given that the BBC has a diversity quota in place:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As an American who has thus far unsuccessfully attempted to get into Doctor Who which version would you recommend I try? I rather liked the twelfth doctor but found the thirteenth somewhat lacking. For some context, I was a fan of Blake's 7 when it ran late night on PBS many, many years ago and am a huge fan of the Hithchiker's Guide to the Galaxy BBC radio and TV series. Which doctor is your favorite?

Martin

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it might just be a little unfair or presumptuous to the actor to assume he has been picked for the role due to a particular physical or unknown sexual attribute, when it may well just be based on his experience and/or worth as an actor. What is needed for a good tv show is an excellent lead actor, good supporting actors, excellent writing and a willing audience. Let's hope this new actor as the Doctor can act well, show some charisma and respect the legacy of the role in the process... not an easy task as #14. Let's also hope Russell T Davies can turn this sinking ship of script writing around... that last Sea Devils episode by Chris Chibnall was shit.

JSmith
The female Dr. wasn't chosen for skills as an actress and I believe the replacement was chosen firstly because he was black. It's not that which bothers me. I like the new Strange New Worlds which had a variety of people in the ethos of the 1st Star Trek. It's when choices are made to tick the boxes I don't like. I believe such thinking went hand in hand with why the Whittaker shows were so awful. More of the same it would appear. It's a very small minded cookie cutter way of thinking.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Well, the assumption it's not totally without reason given that the BBC has a diversity quota in place:
I have heard about that before and am sometimes of two minds about it on occasion like yourself. However from what I understand they wish to better represent the community on telly these days, which is pretty fair I suppose considering what tv entertainment was like in the past actors wise.

I don't think it regularly becomes a situation where people are not picked on merit and ability though, even within that 20%... and really, as long as the quality is there who cares? :)
Which doctor is your favorite?
Probably Tom Baker, then Sylvester McCoy or Jon Pertwee... hard to pick. David Tennant from the newer 2005 onwards ones.

JSmith

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As an American who has thus far unsuccessfully attempted to get into Doctor Who which version would you recommend I try? I rather liked the twelfth doctor but found the thirteenth somewhat lacking. For some context, I was a fan of Blake's 7 when it ran late night on PBS many, many years ago and am a huge fan of the Hithchiker's Guide to the Galaxy BBC radio and TV series. Which doctor is your favorite?

Martin

The classic and modern shows are probably best approached separately. Personally I prefer the classic series, for me Tom Baker remains the definitive Doctor, but all of the classic Doctors brought their own stamp to the role.

In the modern show my favourite is Matt Smith, in some ways he reminded me of Tom in that he could go from comedic to dark and powerful seamlessly and had an air of being a brilliant non-conformist. If he had been given better scripts I think Peter Capaldi could have been the best of either of the eras. He was utterly compelling, but script quality was already rolling downhill

Of all of the Doctors the only one I actually dislike (as the Doctor, nothing personal) is Jodie Whittaker.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
The female Dr. wasn't chosen for skills as an actress
Well they had wanted the Doctor to be female at one point since the late 70's to replace Tom Baker though and it had been 12 male Doctors in a row. I gather from there she was picked on merit, marketability etc?

1654003298814.jpeg

... anyway, I thought Whittaker was fine as an actor, but the writing by Chibnall has been woeful. o_O
More the same it would appear.
I hope not mate... some of the episodes have been such sloppy writing, forcing some issues instead of weaving them in naturally to the story.

JSmith

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well they had wanted the Doctor to be female at one point since the late 70's to replace Tom Baker though and it had been 12 male Doctors in a row. I gather from there she was picked on merit, marketability etc?

View attachment 210043
... anyway, I thought Whittaker was fine as an actor, but the writing by Chibnall has been woeful. o_O

I hope not mate... some of the episodes have been such sloppy writing, forcing some issues instead of weaving them in naturally to the story.

JSmith

I believe Chibnall wanted Whittaker and she didn't have to go through the usual process of selection.
I think it is true most of the blame should go to Chibnall, but I found Whittaker very unconvincing, I think she was seriously miscast. I think Jo Martin who played the fugitive Doctor would have been a much better choice.

JonK99

I'm all for diversity, but maybe next regeneration we could get an American Doctor? I'd even settle for Chiwetel Ejiofor doing an American accent.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
I gave up on it when it was just not fun to watch anymore. Justs like Top gear is not Top gear without the Boys.

And maybe it's just me? But it's weird how they keep saying "first person of colour"
Its as weird as me going to FiJi and saying "Oh LOOK! African Americans! Likewise if I greeted People of color with "Bula Bula!" in America. Saying their all Fijians Or "Hey MON!" to everyone in Canada being Jamaican people of color.

And this is why this pissis me off. Hello! We already HAD a FIRST PERSON WOMAN OF COLOR BBC! You damn nitwits! You could not write an article to wash your socks!
doctorwho2.jpg

And the comic too!
STL226704.jpg

She rocked! Arguably, it was one of the more exciting episodes of the 13th doc.
And boy, can she act! She Had the Charisma of the Doc. Something that Jodi just could not pull off IMO.

She's a great actor i'm told. But to the rest of the world? She's just not a Dr. Who material. I don't think she ever really got into character. In fact, they wrote her to be some weird generic shoe in. A Ditz. I'm sorry. But that's what all of her facial expression portrays in the very same media they portray her as.
Look:
1472202.jpg

That same stupid facial expression is in almost every episode. Even with reviews of the show, its like they took the Doc and tried to make it "Another Teen Movie".
1654001374064.png

They took what could have been the very best Doc to date, and flushed it down the toilet.

Oh LOOK ITS BILL AND TED!
1654001873072.png

From the BBC itself. "I'm a FISH!"
mqdefault.jpg

Compared to the Eye Contact docs. (Best one in the middle btw)
intro-1581343103.jpg

And the episodes are so full of plot holes. Sucky writing. Instead of making the doc our girl hero? They showed her full of failure. Multiple deaths. Everyone just forgetting about the big death of someones mom and wife. And just going on about it like it never happned. No reflection. Nothing. The doctor would not let someones mom and wife die like that.

They took so much Promise, and RUINED IT. Even the effects were lame. And the same stupid "OMG ITS MY MOUTH AGAIN! I am Jesus Doc!
Jodie-Whittaker-as-the-Doctor-in-Doctor-Who-1.jpg

I am Whuuuut? doc.
tumblr_pk6ibdLyse1y2af9oo1_1280.jpg

I Love AIR! Doc...
4E69CC4800000578-5972583-Finally_In_the_30_second_video_it_sees_the_actress_36_as_the_leg-a-89_1532049074110.jpg

My paycheck CLeared DOC!
tumblr_pc4t7yGjBM1szcorco7_540.gif

now compare all those looks to just one photo of this person and realize that they wrote the thirteenth doctor to be a complete doofus.
2nXNyXGQhFq92UPo2PTHFN.jpg

if they want Doctor Who to succeed again, they need to sit down in the writing room and actually think of good storylines and start forgetting about what everybody else wants and start focusing on what made Doctor Who, Doctor Who!

How about less "OH SHIT" and more "I got this". Why is it like this?
2021.01.05-03.28-boundingintocomics-5ff485873d040.jpeg

Jodi as the 13th Doc Never even WATCHED Dr. Who!
In fact, she states she never even watched a single episode of it. And it should all make some sense why she keeps making this face you see above.

Even her wardrobe and look was picked out of some fashion catalog back in 1998 she says. And its starts to all dawn on you that Jodi was thrown into a role she did not care for. Neither did she ask for.
And that's why no one else really cared either. Even she stated she Screwed it up.

Is it too much to ask to get a Dr. Who Fan to PLAY the Doc? I mean it can't be that hard can it?
And if the BBC cares? Maybe get people on the show that care more about the show then what color you are. What's between your legs. Whatever current stupid world view is being peddled when your trying to tell a story about the universe?

The BBC is not making a show for everyone to enjoy. They are making it for themselves. If you want to do that? Do that on your own time. Or just go all in and make everyone "Colored" and stop dicking around with it. That would actually be a great episode. The ENTIRE universe is COLORED. Even the Robots!
Hell go full out and get rid of all men. All straight people. Make everyone Queer. No more gas cars. Everything electric, Everyone is a Vegan. There is no money. There is no government. Its just one BIG universe of Free everything!

Had they did this? They would have made TV History. But no one wants to take charge of this show and put it where it needs to be. So we get Lumpy oatmeal Dr. Who until someone has the amazing idea to be Original.

Attachments

• 1654001335270.png
    1654001335270.png
    834.9 KB · Views: 47

iMickey503

Forum Donor
I'm all for diversity, but maybe next regeneration we could get an American Doctor? I'd even settle for Chiwetel Ejiofor doing an American accent.
This just in, TOM cruise will be playing Dr. Who.
doctortom.png

No really. Back in 2007, Cruise himself was going to be the Next Doctor.

But as of 2017? The BBC was serious about Tom being in the role. And talks are still on for him being one of the next Doctors in 2022 in the future. So there may be a chance!

1654007167492.png

Newman

Major Contributor
Top Bottom