• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Doctor Who - The 14th Doctor

JSmith

Master Contributor
Actor Ncuti Gatwa will take over from Jodie Whittaker as the star of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced.
The 29-year-old will become the 14th Time Lord on the popular science fiction show, and the first person of colour to play the lead role.
Scottish actor Gatwa, who was born in Rwanda, is best known for starring in Netflix's sitcom Sex Education.
_124639359_se_104_unit_00368_final.jpg

A solid choice... I just hope the writing improves somewhat.

JSmith

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
For starter, the writer is NOT Steven Moffat.
Russell T. Davies, the writer and producer who revitalized Doctor Who in 2005 and ushered in a new era of the classic sci-fi series as a global fandom phenomenon, is heading back to the TARDIS. The BBC confirmed that, after more than a decade away from the series he helped revive, Davies will return to Doctor Who in 2023, the 60th anniversary of the classic series, to once again serve as showrunner.

Davies replaces outgoing writer and producer Chris Chibnall, who joined the series alongside Thirteenth Doctor Jodie Whittaker in 2018. Both Chibnall and Whittaker announced earlier this year that they'd be departing the series after a string of specials in 2022 to finish out the Thirteenth Doctor's journey, clearing the way for a new creative team to move in.

JSmith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The guy is a solid actor, so I’m still intrigued what he can do. I couldn’t care less that he’s gay or black. I just want a good story. RTD coming back hopefully gives enough counterweight to the woke BBC nonsens. I won’t be holding my breath though.

Loathecliff

I've not tuned-in for a while.
Why is it in colour?
Where is William Hartnell?
The gorgeous Wendy Padbury? - (My first love.....search..... ****! ...she's older than me now :facepalm:)
proxy-image.jpeg

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am really excited about it. The last five years have been awful, dire writing, a lead who has spectacularly missed becoming the Doctor and a show runner obsessed with obscure show lore whilst simultaneously taking a dump all over that lore.
I am still unsure about the wisdom of Russell T Davies returning as I find that returning to the site of former glories seldom ends well but I think he is several orders of magnitude above the dire Chibnall in talent, Ncuti Gatwa seems to be a talented and charismatic lead and the change in tone in DW coverage has been remarkable. I am hoping Davies restores the show after years of decline and brings an audience back.

Loathecliff

Sadly, that was always the case... funny how time works, isn’t it…
:rolleyes: No no no. It cannae be! I'm nay havin it!
Time? Tis but the fourth dimension. An illusion. - Wendy is not so pretty either in retrospect:facepalm:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually he has never publicly stated his sexuality... not that it matters either, however in the Netflix show he plays a gay character I believe.

JSmith
I really don't think anyone cares about his sexuality. He seems to be a talented actor with a very likeable personality. He responded to a Sylvester McCoy YouTube video with one of his own which seemed genuinely heartfelt and full of warmth, I think he may very well be just what DW needs.

0bs3rv3r

I am afraid, as a long time fan, I just could not even finish the last series. I suppose I will give the new one a try, but if it continues in the same direction, I will give up.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Great threads on the Planet Mondas and Caprona forums discussing this.

Looks as if David Tennant with Donna are extensively filming, recently in Wembley, London with on-set pics posted (it's all on twitter too if anyone looks it up). RTD2 has some interesting 'stuff' going around and about to try to resurrect interest. I'm sure Ncuti will take the reigns at some point, but no idea if he is currently filming..

I've known this show ever since December 1963, so well versed in Dalek lore (especially the Dalek chronicles which Terry Nation ripped up in the mid 70's), lost touch when I was working in the late 70's (caught up now ;) ) and have carried on through even these dire recent seasons ending up with a TV actress with no gravitas whatsoever playing the lead role! It's too far inside me to ever fully give it up, so I'll carry on carrying on watching it.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
The wokeness involved in choosing the new actor. The same reason I only watched a couple shows with Jodie Whittaker.
How is being a Scotsman woke? It’s almost a DW tradition!

DSJR

Major Contributor
The BBC have had to 'tick a load of boxes' in recent times and Doctor Who is no exception...

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The wokeness involved in choosing the new actor. The same reason I only watched a couple shows with Jodie Whittaker.

I am really not worried about that. I think we can all expect RTD to be right on and with the trend on social issues, that was the case in his first stint, but he is an extremely talented writer and he writes inclusive drama (i.e. whatever his feelings he wants to attract the widest possible audience). My issue with Chibnall and Whittaker wasn't wokeness, it was the unrelenting awfulness of it all. I really don't mind good, well written and performed material that panders to the current thing, I just want to be entertained and enjoy what I am watching.

Newman

Major Contributor
There’s nothing wrong with ticking boxes as long as you build solid quality all around them.

Top Bottom