• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 must be stopped

D

Deleted member 46664

You'd rather be hacked?
Don't start ... I've already been through this with every #$%# Microsoft Fanboy on here.

I've been running Win7 like this for 10 years and never once had a problem.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been running Win7 like this for 10 years
LOL! OS are not like antique cars. Wait! Wait! They actually are and their performance... become dated.
Some of us are ticked off because our systems are locked out of upgrading from Win10 to Win11.
But based on what you are saying we must be missing out on the 'virtues' of Win7. We must be truly out of touch.:D
Why beat a dead-horse while those who are wincing while reading are not going to extol the virtues of the tool that is being used... to keep beating that dead horse?

D

Deleted member 46664

LOL! OS are not like antique cars. Wait! Wait! They actually are and their performance... become dated.
Some of us are ticked off because our systems are locked out of upgrading from Win10 to Win11.
But based on what you are saying we must be missing out on the 'virtues' of Win7. We must be truly out of touch.:D
Why beat a dead-horse while those who are wincing while reading are not going to extol the virtues of the tool that is being used... to keep beating that dead horse?

Go bother someone else.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if your Logitech keyboard is faulty/misconfigured and it trying to launch Instant Messaging? You could try having a root around in Settings/Apps/Default Apps for things associated with Teams. On my system Teams is just associated with the ms-teams URL type (I do have MS Teams setup as I use it occasionally)...

View attachment 206515

The IM Protocol link type happens to be set to Zoom...

View attachment 206517
I figured it out. Found a site where other people were having the exact same issues. Turns out the popups are triggered by finger swipes across the edge of the track pad. Logitech has a software (freeware) called SetPoint. Downloaded it, went to the tab entitled "My Mouse" and the side tabs took the third one down which is "Wireless Trackpad Setting". On the right hand side of the screen there are check boxes enabling "Edge Gestures", I unchecked all three, aannnnddd. FIXED!!!!!! :);):cool: No more popups! Set point also has a number of other setting for controlling all Logitech keyboards, wirless mice, etc. So not bad. Paid $20 for the K400 keyboard 5 years ago, and it still works, flawlessly now.

Still think it's pretty f*cked up that popups for things like weather widgets and Microsoft Teams occur on Windows even after you unininstall the Teams software, disable widgets, and go to privacy setting to deliberately disable the setting for "helpful suggestions" from Windows, etc. I actually installed Teams and it still popped up asking me to put my contact lists in Teams and sync up every device in my possession, and that made me pause big time. First thing I did was create a local account, so the last thing I wanted to do was turn over the keys to my life to Microsoft.

Microsoft is completely out of control.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was pulling for you guys to stop Win 11, because I have some hardware that isn't fit for Win11, and Win10 is okay. But I think so far, Windows 11 rolls on in spite of your efforts. ;)

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Win11 will probably be the last time Microsoft can try to drive this artificial model.

There is zero benefit to it. The operating system no longer matters. It makes no sense. It's just a money making scam based on stopping security updates that are packaged into the OS, and a questionable policy when it comes to updating stuff.

The honest thing to do would be to kill the OS versions and go for a subscription model... let's say $2 a year per device. If the OS gets too resource intensive, let people decide if they want a faster device... or a faster OS. The model is totally broken right now.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Win11 will probably be the last time Microsoft can try to drive this artificial model.

There is zero benefit to it. The operating system no longer matters. It makes no sense. It's just a money making scam based on stopping security updates that are packaged into the OS, and a questionable policy when it comes to updating stuff.

The honest thing to do would be to kill the OS versions and go for a subscription model... let's say $2 a year per device. If the OS gets too resource intensive, let people decide if they want a faster device... or a faster OS. The model is totally broken right now.
I like the present model. I use my box about ~6 to ~12 hours a day and I get what 2 or 3 hardware repairs (? I forget) before I have to buy another OEM Win OS. It's so stable these days and the hardware seemingly lasts with me as @ stock clocks or overclocked I have not had issues. :D

JSmith

Master Contributor
995b1f9f8844fc5267d71c6af6955f018b57c7703ebf903080b506c399af59ea_1.jpg

... won't someone please think of the children!

JSmith

D

Deleted member 46664

I was pulling for you guys to stop Win 11, because I have some hardware that isn't fit for Win11, and Win10 is okay. But I think so far, Windows 11 rolls on in spite of your efforts. ;)

Easy solution ... stay with win10.
As you saw from all the fuss, I stayed with Win7 and haven't had any problems.
Nothing forces you to upgrade.

D

Deleted member 46664

I like the present model. I use my box about ~6 to ~12 hours a day and I get what 2 or 3 hardware repairs (? I forget) before I have to buy another OEM Win OS. It's so stable these days and the hardware seemingly lasts with me as @ stock clocks or overclocked I have not had issues. :D

My current personal use computers are 5 years old... no hardware problems so far. Just the usual twice a year hit with compressed air to get the dust out.

What I rally wish Microsoft would do is offer a stripped down version of Windows ... really just enough to get to the desktop and explore files. Everything else should be a user installed option. None of this "we're going to tie up 500mb of space for speech recognition, whether you used it or not" crap ... just the Core OS and let us decide how to bloat it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My current personal use computers are 5 years old... no hardware problems so far. Just the usual twice a year hit with compressed air to get the dust out.

What I rally wish Microsoft would do is offer a stripped down version of Windows ... really just enough to get to the desktop and explore files. Everything else should be a user installed option. None of this "we're going to tie up 500mb of space for speech recognition, whether you used it or not" crap ... just the Core OS and let us decide how to bloat it.
It might be possible that the stuff for the disabled is cost shared with the mainstream software of Windows versions. I use Chrome, My Pictures, My Docs, My Downloads and other than the security suite I never go anywhere else other than Steam for my games. Windows 10 is so easy to use and never seems to need repairs or whatever.

D

Deleted member 46664

I would suggest the opposite ... go back where they were with Windows 2000 (with the modern codebase, of course). You buy the OS, you install it and from there on, it's yours, it freestands and it's up to you to either enjoy it or trash it of your own volition.

The problem, even though so many deny it, is that the invasive nature of the OS is stress inducing. Updates at inconvenient times, things they have to accept, accounts they need to open, data being mined, and on and on... Nobody is actually happy with the current "phone home" version and certainly not with the SAAS versions of other MS packages.

D

Deleted member 46664

It might be possible that the stuff for the disabled is cost shared with the mainstream software of Windows versions. I use Chrome, My Pictures, My Docs, My Downloads and other than the security suite I never go anywhere else other than Steam for my games. Windows 10 is so easy to use and never seems to need repairs or whatever.

I don't use any of the pre-made folders... another of my controversial choices, I suppose... I have my disks partitioned in the old "System on C, Data on D" scheme that's always worked pretty well for me.

And, well, we've already had the argument about the stability of Win7.

JSmith

Master Contributor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem, even though so many deny it, is that the invasive nature of the OS is stress inducing.
I find it very easy to operate a box these days. WIN95, 98, XP and Vista had issues. I formatted and reinstalled with each fairly often.

Updates at inconvenient times
Yes, they pop up at times when I forget to maintain the box.

things they have to accept
One gets pretty good at realizing when they are coming and how it should be reacted to. I use Bitdefender for a security suite and so the firewall popups don't occur with this system. It all automatic. I haven't permitted a connection with Bitdefender in many years. Bitdefender just chugs away in the background and it's not noticed at all.

Nobody is actually happy with the current "phone home" version
I disabled all the phone home stuff as it is easily reached for @ one window and during installation. A bit of scrolling was all that was required.

I am a FPS gamer and so Windows is where it's at for me. No other choice available for hardware and games compatibility.

D

Deleted member 46664

I find it very easy to operate a box these days. WIN95, 98, XP and Vista had issues. I formatted and reinstalled with each fairly often.
Yes, they pop up at times when I forget to maintain the box.
One gets pretty good at realizing when they are coming and how it should be reacted to. I use Bitdefender for a security suite and so the firewall popups don't occur with this system. It all automatic. I haven't permitted a connection with Bitdefender in many years. Bitdefender just chugs away in the background and it's not noticed at all.
I disabled all the phone home stuff as it is easily reached for @ one window and during installation. A bit of scrolling was all that was required.
I am a FPS gamer and so Windows is where it's at for me. No other choice available for hardware and games compatibility.

Don't get me wrong ... I actually like Windows. I figure it's the best scenario we're going to get. What I dislike is having to put up with stuff I either won't use or is counter to my goals.

Win7 is still the go-to system for sound quality, at least from what I can tell with just service equipment to test with. So when I set up an HTPC with it, I typically go through Scheduled Tasks and Services and rather brutally shut down everything that's not needed for the job.

LOL... Your eyes would pop if you ever saw how many Services and Events I have disabled...

But it all works a treat and thanks to Windows native file management and file associations it's super easy for my people to use; just click on a file to play it... easy peasy.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't get me wrong ... I actually like Windows. I figure it's the best scenario we're going to get. What I dislike is having to put up with stuff I either won't use or is counter to my goals.

Win7 is still the go-to system for sound quality, at least from what I can tell with just service equipment to test with. So when I set up an HTPC with it, I typically go through Scheduled Tasks and Services and rather brutally shut down everything that's not needed for the job.

LOL... Your eyes would pop if you ever saw how many Services and Event I have disabled...

But it all works a treat and thanks to Windows native file management and file associations it's super easy for my people to use; just click on a file to play it... easy peasy.
Long ago I used Black Viper's service configurations and had some success. Now I never look at services. I have heaps of power in the box. This box better last me 7-8 years at minimum. :D

Wasn't the change over/upgrade to Win 10 a situation of loosing software too that was useful? Fax, pictures viewer, media player and others?

D

Deleted member 46664

Long ago I used Black Viper's service configurations and had some success. Now I never look at services. I have heaps of power in the box. This box better last me 7-8 years at minimum. :D

Some of my friends have been asking about the new ultra-compact computers so I have a couple of them coming in to play with. I figure my current htpc design is good for another year at most. Then I'll have to do something, or be left behind. So, might as well get on the job now.

For example: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09GFHF75K

My current design...
HTPC1.JPG
htpc3.jpg

Wasn't the change over/upgrade to Win 10 a situation of loosing software too that was useful? Fax, pictures viewer, media player and others?

Yep... that was part of it. But there's tons of freeware out there to make up for it.

Top Bottom