• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Noticed an odor in one of my Eurocave units. So today I pulled everything out and discovered fluid pooled at the bottom. Not wine but something that smells sort of like gym socks. It appears to have leaked up from the cooling unit and run down to pool at the bottom. Has anyone had experience with this or otherwise know what it might be? The service center is closed weekends, so calling did no good.

20220122_132804.jpg020220122_132737.jpg20220122_132728.jpg
My guess is a coolant leak? It appears to have stopped and the unit remains fully functional and has been in cycle with the one next to it so I'm holding out faint hope.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wish I could help but have never seen that. Any luck yet?
Yes, and there was some good luck, happily. It turned out the drain tube for condensation had become blocked. This allowed the same to accumulate over an unknown period of time which eventually led to the presence of 'pink mold' (not actually mold but bacteria nonetheless). So the good news is there's nothing wrong with the unit itself. The bad news, obviously, is the problem was one of cleanliness as my girlfriend so helpfully pointed out...

The occasion did lead me to open a 2006 Camartina. Super Tuscans are decidedly not my thing but it had mellowed sufficiently to be somewhat enjoyable.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
With fondue on Saturday night. I'd nominate Steve Edmunds as the best winemaker in California.

735D2E9A-C4DB-4398-A8E5-35376CFCA218.jpeg

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Drinking Hungarian wine in Romania. The Laska was a treat - still might be the only varietal Laska bottled, although others around Hungary have started to cultivate it as well. József Szentesi has spent the last 20 years reviving near-extinct Hungarian varieties. The Szerelmi Hárslevelű was wildly good as well, which was not surprising. I have yet to try a Demeter Zoltan bottle I wouldn't buy a case of if I could.

Harslevelu.jpeg

Laska.jpeg

PinotFurmint.jpeg

Reactions: SIY

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Don’t worry, had plenty of that. And Rara Neagra. Gotta love the value. But I can’t help it, I’m energized by Hungarian wine.

Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Don’t worry, had plenty of that. And Rara Neagra. Gotta love the value. But I can’t help it, I’m energized by Hungarian wine.
I keep thinking Feteasca would do great here, but no-one seems to have planted it.

One Hungarian wine I had when visiting and loved but can't find here at all is Kéknyelű. If you could sneak a few bottles back and drop by, I'll make it worth your while.

MalinYamato

Wine and audio go well together and those two are my passion of life...
a man of my dream has to know what I enjoy the most and take me there.... whine, music love and romance.

Here is a Spanish wine I tend to enjoy the most...very good value about USD 20 - among Riojas the best price/perfomrance
433676_800.png

Last edited:

Old Listener

IMG_20220210_093937896.jpg

A 2005 Syrah from the slope next to Dry Creek Valley outside Healdsburg, CA. A friend grew the grapes and his partner made the wine. We've had a number of bottles of this wine (2004 and 2005 vintages) over the years. Still quite good.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Latest delivery. Drank another bottle of the 2018 Michel Rolland and liked it. Wonder about the MR Napa Valley Cabernet S.

Attachments

• 69C4401E-4F6C-448E-8B89-04798D1EE7E3.jpeg
    69C4401E-4F6C-448E-8B89-04798D1EE7E3.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Karu

Forum Donor
Gamay Wednesday

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 46

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wine and audio go well together and those two are my passion of life...
a man of my dream has to know what I enjoy the most and take me there.... whine, music love and romance.

Here is a Spanish wine I tend to enjoy the most...very good value about USD 20 - among Riojas the best price/perfomrance
View attachment 187026

I’ve had a few bottles of that Priorat but it was a few years ago. Funny you linked to ”Systembolaget”. :)

MalinYamato

I’ve had a few bottles of that Priorat but it was a few years ago. Funny you linked to ”Systembolaget”. :)
NOOO! I don't like the government-imposed concept of systembolaget at all which restricts us from getting whine during weekdays only and I hate the govt that puts extreme taxes on it. However, the staff there are very knowledgeable and are excellent guides. Sweden is terrible for us who love whine and I am going to be a refugee soon to escape to a country where we have the freedom to enjoy good whine at any time at reasonable prices.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NOOO! I don't like the government-imposed concept of systembolaget at all which restricts us from getting whine during weekdays only, but the staff there are very knowledgeable. Sweden is terrible for us who love whine and I am going to be a refugee soon to escape to a country where we have the freedom to enjoy good whine at any time at reasonable prices.

Well you can always buy from other sources and keep a good stock to drink whenever you like. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Picked up a 4L box of Bodacious Smooth red. It's tasty and smooth. :D
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Top Bottom