• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Canadian Cabernet? The mind reels.
Yes, Canada has multiple wine growing regions. The Okanagan of British Columbia and The Province of Ontario have a lot of vineyards. The Okanagan is a extension of a desert that runs through the USA right up into Canada. We get vultures flying up from the USA and lotsa rattlers and stuff.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Black Box Cab. Joke all you want, but it is a darn nice wine and cheap enough to have on hand. It keeps on the counter top, where if I open a bottle, I have to do it in before it becomes salad dressing. I have bought plenty of $20 wines that can't touch it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Black Box Cab. Joke all you want, but it is a darn nice wine and cheap enough to have on hand. It keeps on the counter top, where if I open a bottle, I have to do it in before it becomes salad dressing. I have bought plenty of $20 wines that can't touch it.
A friend of mine swears by the least expensive Canadian domestics that he can find in those ~4L boxes(~4 quarts). That and gin and tonic cocktails. He can go all day long slurping that stuff up. :D

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I’ll look for that. The Weis cab franc barrel select from down our way is worth seeking out.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Niagara Cabernet Franc can be great. Pearl Morisette, for example. Seems like his style has been in flux a bit, but I’ve had some stellar bottles.
I don't see wines from Ontario in the beer and wine stores here. If they are from Ontario it doesn't indicate that. The Jackson Triggs Cabernet that I am sipping atm is decent. Not too acidic, leaves a grape flavor on the tongue and overall is a good experience for $10.00 a bottle.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Also... there's great Cab Franc and Pinot Noir here, but the signature red grape will be Saperavi for sure.

Linus

Niagara Cabernet Franc can be great. Pearl Morisette, for example. Seems like his style has been in flux a bit, but I’ve had some stellar bottles.
+1 for the wines of François Morissette. Especially if you can find bottles from a couple vintages ago. I feel they are getting a little expensive for what they are, but still worth trying. He also had a project under the same name “Pearl Morissette” in California, but don’t know what happened of it.
Thomas Bachelder in Niagara and Norman Hardie in Prince Edward County grow really good Chardonnay & Pinot Noir.
In a blind tasting with friends not long ago, everybody prefered County Chardonnay ‘14 from Norman Hardy over Meursault ‘18 from Roulot… Different styles, but still.
Cheers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sipping a 4L box of Bodacious Smooth Red. It's grapey, sweet'ishy and very red. Can you tell I am a nooB at wine? lol :D I worked a Italian restaurant for 2.75 years as the lounge bar waiter when I was ~12 years old and found some good wines but nothing serious about wine ever happened.
bodacious-smooth-red-4l.jpg

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sipping a 4L box of Bodacious Smooth Red. It's grapey, sweet'ishy and very red. Can you tell I am a nooB at wine? lol :D I worked a Italian restaurant for 2.75 years as the lounge bar waiter when I was ~12 years old and found some good wines but nothing serious about wine ever happened.
bodacious-smooth-red-4l.jpg
Like I always said, you gotta be careful going to work in a bar at age 12, you just might end up drinking 4L boxes of wine!

(Joking, of course - no need to discriminate as long as it's wine. Although I have also been known to contribute to the beer thread...)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like I always said, you gotta be careful going to work in a bar at age 12, you just might end up drinking 4L boxes of wine!
hehe. I developed a affinity for martinis at that job... like quadruples... :D

Krusty09

Forum Donor
I think you give a whirl. Of the ones I've had it's the best to me. Also a big fan of the Cake Bread .

I remember when it was like 15 or 20 now it's like 50 or 60 for the cheap ones. Time flies

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you give a whirl. Of the ones I've had it's the best to me. Also a big fan of the Cake Bread .

I remember when it was like 15 or 20 now it's like 50 or 60 for the cheap ones. Time flies
Wowow. I just can't see spending USD $50-$60 on a bottle of vino. I am into Italian dry red wine and domestics and usually spend about $8-$15 a bottle. :D

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Me too but just like my beer I like to spoil myself once in awhile . I work my ass off an I feel like I deserve something nice once in awhile. But that's just me .

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Me too but just like my beer I like to spoil myself once in awhile . I work my ass off an I feel like I deserve something nice once in awhile. But that's just me .
Btw gd fan I know your a New Yorker . With that said 8 know you like your beers as well. I was at a bar tonight on 19th and 8th and they had Maine Dinner not lunch on tap and it one of the best beers ever. I have had just about every big name great beer out there including Younger and I gotta tell ya you need to go down there and get you one . Also had about 5 different Tree houses in cans as well .

Bar was Crown Alley .

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Right on, thanks for the suggestion. That's not one that I'm familiar with so I'll happily seek it out.

P.S. I don't think I'm a New Yorker, I merely live here until I can finally return to California!

Top Bottom