• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many pairs of headphones do you need to cover all situations?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Like many of you, I have ended up with several pairs of headphones. Just wondering what phones you use for different genres/situations? I have a pair of HD800, Hifiman X Edition for planars, AKG K702, Sony WH-1000XM4 for wireless/NC, Sennheiser Momentum earbuds and Etymotic ER3SE earbuds. Are there other models folks might recommend for a different listening experience, or to bring out different aspects of source material (classical, jazz, classic rock, singer-songwriter)? Am I missing anything important with the phones I have? Has anyone bought strategically to cover different listening situations? Thanks!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A good open one, a good closed one, a portable one (IEM or other), maybe even a wireless one.
Possibly even 2 for each of them when you are in the mood for it.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use two. One for all-purpose use and one for travel (noise-cancelling).

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
A good open one, a good closed one, a portable one (IEM or other), maybe even a wireless one.
Possibly even 2 for each of them when you are in the mood for it.
Thanks! Which closed-back phones would people recommend? I don't believe I have a pair.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Which closed-back phones would people recommend? I don't believe I have a pair
Depending on the budget but a good recommendation would be Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT for $499.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the biggest thing about them is that they're comfortable and portable and have great quality and sound to boot.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends how many use cases you have. If you only ever listen to a desktop/full sized rig in solitude I'm sure something like the HD800 could easily be your only one. But then there's gaming, mobile, in the same room as others etc etc.

I reckon though you get a good open DD, good closed planar, good iem and maybe a wireless ANC over ear for travelling you are more than set.

Then there are perverts like me and you who accumulate for fun.

Zim

Forum Donor
Home (Comfort over isolation) - 1 Open, 1 Closed, 1 IEMs
Outdoors/Travel/Commuting (Isolation over comfort) - 1 TWS IEMs, 1 NC Closed Over-Ear.

That's what I have set up. Some days, my ears can't tolerate using IEMs so I use headphones, and vice versa.
Some days, closed headphones are too hot to used at home. Some days, open headphones don't have enough isolation at home.
I EQ all to the Harman curve as that's my preferred sound.

So for me, at the end of the day, it's all about some form of compromise between comfort and isolation. I have yet to find anything, IEMs or headphones, that have great isolation while having great comfort at the same time while wearing for long periods. But that's just me and my ears. In an ideal world, I'd just have 1 pair of headphones, and one pair of IEMs for both home and outdoor use.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the biggest thing about them is that they're comfortable and portable and have great quality and sound to boot.
I definitely agree that the comfortable thing is important. Great sound? I've never really understood the 'great sound' of headphones. To me, headphones are totally weird, sound-wise, when compared to regular 'open ear' listening. I'm not even sure what a good headphone is supposed to sound like, in reference to anything 'live'.

Personally, I use headphones more for other people's enjoyment. My AT phones when I play my guitar at night, so I don't disturb waifu. And when I play Doom Eternal, so I don't seem ridiculous-- so no one can tell what I'm doing when I'm at my PC. :)

tom_tom

I have 3 pairs - Philips X2HR for home listening, Audio Technica ATH-SR30BT for wireless and outside home, SPC Gear Viro for games.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a hoarder of headphones to say the least, I currently have six pairs which include 2 open back, 1 closed back and 3 IEMS. I cycle through my IEMs when traveling, Open backs are for music listening at the desk and closed when I'm working in office.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Like many of you, I have ended up with several pairs of headphones. Just wondering what phones you use for different genres/situations? I have a pair of HD800, Hifiman X Edition for planars, AKG K702, Sony WH-1000XM4 for wireless/NC, Sennheiser Momentum earbuds and Etymotic ER3SE earbuds. Are there other models folks might recommend for a different listening experience, or to bring out different aspects of source material (classical, jazz, classic rock, singer-songwriter)? Am I missing anything important with the phones I have? Has anyone bought strategically to cover different listening situations? Thanks!
There is no limit for perfection! The more - the merrier! :D
I mean, who's to stop me from buying a new ones, when I'm bored with my old ones?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no limit for perfection! The more - the merrier! :D I mean, who's to stop me from buying a new ones, when I'm bored with my old ones?
I think some things are similar in the 'have to have as many as possible', department. Guitars... you can never have too many of those. Not everyone's thing, but guns. I stay away from gun stores, because of that. It's why I try and avoid selling them. Because just after I do, I'm starting to regret it.

JoeBrooklyn

1 for home listening (open). I may add a closed
1 for work (wireless, boom mic, optimized for teams/zoom)
1 for airplane travel (ANC)
Infinite # of earbuds for running. Sweat, breakage, loss, accidentally run through washer. 2-6 per year.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'm not really a headphone guy... I prefer speakers.

I'd say I "need" 2 pair - I have a pair of Koss Porta-Pros in my laptop bag and I have a pair of Grado 225's for home listening. I upgraded the Grados with the larger pads to and they are more comfortable. (I don't know what this did to the sound.)

I bought the Grados to replace a dead pair of "similar" open-headphones from a different manufacturer (no longer available). I think the older ones had better sound, mainly more bass. (I don't fully-trust my "auditory memory".)

But I own more...

I actually have 2-pair of Porta-Pros because I was keeping a 2nd laptop at my girlfriend's place.

At one time I did a couple of DJ gigs so I needed closed headphones and I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-280's. I didn't buy them for sound quality but they actually sound pretty-good.

Then recently, I bought a pair of AKG K371's just because they are highly-rated for the price. But I haven't used them for any "serious listening".

And a few years ago I bought a pair of Superlux HD668B's because they were getting a lot of praise for being a bargain.

...Too many for a guy that rarely listens with headphones!

Zensō

Major Contributor
I agree with others who said it depends upon your use cases. It seems apparent for the majority of people one pair of wireless earbuds are enough. For myself, it’s a pair of open backs for mixing/mastering, a pair of closed backs for live performance, a pair of wireless noise cancelling over ears for conference calls, and a pair of wireless noise cancelling in ears for exercising and anything else outside.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
One other consideration is high impedance vs low impedance, depending on how you are amplifying. It's good to have at least one of each in your bag of tricks. I still love to use my old Sennheiser HD 414 and 420 phones, but at 600 ohms, even a decent headphone amp like the Schiit Magni is a little underpowered for them. My main AKG 361 and Sennheiser HD520 phones are much happier with the Schiit. But for older receivers or integrated amps, they have no trouble driving the Senns.

The AKG K361 phones are my current favorite "daily driver" phones, and they are such a bargain.

pk500

I own four pairs that get use in a regular rotation, with an emphasis on sonic variety, construction variety and utility:

HiFiMan HE-400se: Open-back, planar-magnetic driver. A wonderful all-around headphone for $150. Does nothing greatly, does nothing poorly. Other than a slight treble peak and some treble grain and congestion in complex pieces, these cans are such solid all-arounders. They work well with every genre. I may bid farewell to these soon, as I'm getting a pair of HiFiMan Edition XS today.

Sennheiser HD 6XX: Open-back, dynamic driver. Superb mids. Present bass. Rolled-off treble that creates the notion of a "Sennheiser veil." It's not veiled to my tinnitus-ravaged ears -- it's sweet relief. These are the easiest headphones to listen to for hours upon hours in my collection. Zero sonic fatigue. Small soundstage but nice detail and separation. These cans work great with rock, metal and EDM because of the rolled-off treble and solid, present bass.

Focal Elegia: Closed-back, dynamic driver. Detail monsters. Excellent midrange and treble. Great for acoustic, strings, classical, jazz, alt-country, Americana. Can be quite good with some EDM, as the bass punches without being bloated. Not great for rock, classic rock, metal.

Soundpeats wireless earbuds: Cheapo, original AirPods-style (hang from ear canal, not in it) buds that I use for podcasts and phone calls every damn day. Crap sound for music, but they work great for the spoken voice for $40.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A closed back for when I 'm around others at home (currently k371s), and open back when I'm on my own in my office (hd6xx) and tws iems for when I'm mowing the lawn or similar.

Top Bottom