• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I desperately need an amp, please help!

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
tone controls (for night and ambient listening)
Buongiorno! eh...Buona sera? Loved Italy, want to visit again.
A superior solution for that is Yamaha's variable loudness function. But you have to check-not all models offer it. I believe as you get more expensive it actually disappears.
- If you are so tight on space there is a powered version of your Klipsch (or similar model). Maybe no tone though.

Jake Cushing

I'd suggest the Yamaha R-N803:

Tone controls, variable loudness that's ideal for night listening. And well reviewed on this site. Tons of streaming ability.

Pure direct mode is best, unless you have the volume lower than normal.

OP
M

Mavison

Most reviews are just subjective babble. Properly designed stereo amplifiers by mainstream manufacturers do not have a sonic signature, and have not done for ages. What matters is power, output impedance and facilities.
Thanks for the info Willem and happy New Year!

OP
M

Mavison

Buongiorno! eh...Buona sera? Loved Italy, want to visit again.
A superior solution for that is Yamaha's variable loudness function. But you have to check-not all models offer it. I believe as you get more expensive it actually disappears.
- If you are so tight on space there is a powered version of your Klipsch (or similar model). Maybe no tone though.
Thanks for the feedback Head Unit, buongiorno! You are the second one that suggest Yamaha. Did not consider the brand but now will check the specs of the suggested models . My speakers are brand new, no need to embark me in changes now. I wish you a happy new Year!

OP
M

Mavison

I'd suggest the Yamaha R-N803:

Tone controls, variable loudness that's ideal for night listening. And well reviewed on this site. Tons of streaming ability.

Pure direct mode is best, unless you have the volume lower than normal.
Thanks Jake, but R-N8003 (d?) is more than 800,00 euro... I wish you an happy new year!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
M

Mavison

You already have DAC? Then why not Topping PA5 (€350) + Raspberry Pi streamer (approx. €100, Pi4 2Gb, with case and power brick) with latest (3.x) Volumio software (FusionDSP plugin supports equalization + FIR). This IS audiophile grade.
Thanks Martinvb, a little bit too...tricky for me but I'll study on the web your suggestion. Happy new year!!!

OP
M

Mavison

Pa5 is more like 85 watts into 8 Ohm, tone control is available in Volumio software (15 channel eq.).
Yes but can I control the eq also if I stream from my Mac/iPhone to the Denon? Don't know if my question is logically/technically correct but I think you understand.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Are you considering a multi-channel setup for your TV on the near future or it's strictly stereo? I am asking to see if you'd consider an AVR. One benefit would be that you'd get Audyssey for some room correction and EQing, but you (and me) need to write to Santa Claus to bring us one because they are costly, Denon x3700h for example will cost you some 1200 euro or more. EQing the Klipsch may be worth a shot (using for example Amir's recommendations) to see what kind of sound you like better, of course if you are pleased with how they play now, no need to bother.

Otherwise you need an integrated amplifier or a dac-power amp combo to be able to connect your TV, it's weird that Denon DNP-800NE doesn't have any kind of input at all. The good thing is that it has an optical out so you can use it as a streamer connecting it to whatever you get.

Happy new year @Mavison and to all of you!!!

OP
M

Mavison

Are you considering a multi-channel setup for your TV on the near future or it's strictly stereo? I am asking to see if you'd consider an AVR. One benefit would be that you'd get Audyssey for some room correction and EQing, but you (and me) need to write to Santa Claus to bring us one because they are costly, Denon x3700h for example will cost you some 1200 euro or more. EQing the Klipsch may be worth a shot (using for example Amir's recommendations) to see what kind of sound you like better, of course if you are pleased with how they play now, no need to bother.

Otherwise you need an integrated amplifier or a dac-power amp combo to be able to connect your TV, it's weird that Denon DNP-800NE doesn't have any kind of input at all. The good thing is that it has an optical out so you can use it as a streamer connecting it to whatever you get.

Happy new year @Mavison and to all of you!!!
Denon has digital output but not input. Happy new year to you too Triliza!!!

raindance

Major Contributor
Come on folks, stop suggesting streamers or tone controls done on a computer. He has a Denon DNP-800NE, which is a streamer.

It has a built in preamp mode with 4 volt output (through variable out), so it could be used directly with a power amp, but there'd be no tone controls.

It also has a fixed output allowing it to be used with an integrated amp. I'll add NAD and Marantz to the list of integrated amps to look at.

There's also nothing stopping the use of a stereo receiver or even a surround receiver if obtained second hand and setup appropriately.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thanks Jake, but R-N8003 (d?) is more than 800,00 euro... I wish you an happy new year!
Yes but you probably don't need all that model offers. As suggested before take a look at their SA line (as standalone amp only) and R-N one which come with same output stage as suggested already couple of times. I for instance have R-N402D (older model and discontinued) that doesn't have any DSP just simple bass/trable and analog input stage control's with which I am happy and got it second hand. The Denon suggested line also pair's great with what you already have and ain't bad.
The "desperately" depends on what ever you can obtain cheaper where you live and which will do it main purpose (power amplifier) well and has what ever you desire if you have time.

Martinvb

Yes but can I control the eq also if I stream from my Mac/iPhone to the Denon? Don't know if my question is logically/technically correct but I think you understand.
Depending on how you define stream: in the most typical case, using Volumio; yes. The audio signal is drawn from the internet, then processed by the Pi before it is handed off to the DAC. Volumio 3.x uses a new technique to pass the audio signal through one final common pathway, on which the plugins of your choice can have an effect (e.g. tonal balance, room correction filter). Thus, you do not have to stream via Bluetooth or Airplay, which indeed would bypass the audio prossessing pathway of the Pi. Volumio also supports streaming services like Spotify and Tidal. With a subscription you may also use the ‘Spotify Connect’ or ‘Tidal Connect’ option, which would stream the audio directly from your phone or tablet to the Pi. This results in the same (lossless) output, but also to battery drain on your device.

David James

I've been very happy with my Yamaha as301.
I bought it to keep the rest of my family happy with an amp for tv use that has a remote and won't get swapped out constantly when I find some new shiny box to play with.
To my surprise, I find it enjoyable for music also.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I've been very happy with my Yamaha as301.
I bought it to keep the rest of my family happy with an amp for tv use that has a remote and won't get swapped out constantly when I find some new shiny box to play with.
To my surprise, I find it enjoyable for music also.
There you go. Super easy and you like it already. A win/win. :)

OP
M

Mavison

Come on folks, stop suggesting streamers or tone controls done on a computer. He has a Denon DNP-800NE, which is a streamer.

It has a built in preamp mode with 4 volt output (through variable out), so it could be used directly with a power amp, but there'd be no tone controls.

It also has a fixed output allowing it to be used with an integrated amp. I'll add NAD and Marantz to the list of integrated amps to look at.

There's also nothing stopping the use of a stereo receiver or even a surround receiver if obtained second hand and setup appropriately.
Thank you raindance, didn't know i could use the Denon as a preamp. Happy 2022!

OP
M

Mavison

Here's a Silver A-S301. Digital input. 250 Euros.

Note however the digital inputs are optical and coaxial. If you must have a HDMI input only for a TV, then you probably need an AVR. Check what outputs your TV has!
Thank you Jake, TV has optical. I'm considering the A-S301 Although is a little bulky for my taste and for my living room. Happy new year!

Top Bottom