• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YG Sonja discussion

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have only heard YG speakers at shows... They were not my cup of tea. I agree with Ron, for $107,000 I'll take one of these:
iris

Martin

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I hope it measures better than the Elac DBR62 reviewed on this forum ...
Stereophile has measurements! As usual you have to read between the lines to come to conclusions. I'm not very good at reading graphs so I have to rely on JA to explain, but he seems to say everything measures well so I have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Also since these speakers are so heavy, and so expensive, I think Amir will have more chance of winning the lottery then getting a pair in for measurement.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/yg-acoustics-sonja-13-loudspeaker-measurements

If anyone wants to analyize these measurements with a more critical take, be my guest.

OP
S

smodtactical

LOL you guys are funny... of course no one pays MSRP. Supposed you could get a Sonja 2.3 for 50% off.

Also in general are you guys saying you wouldn't spend more than say $50k? What if you spent $50k-70k to get a $100-200k msrp speaker that you love?

Davelemi

Forum Donor
LOL you guys are funny... of course no one pays MSRP. Supposed you could get a Sonja 2.3 for 50% off.

Also in general are you guys saying you wouldn't spend more than say $50k? What if you spent $50k-70k to get a $100-200k msrp speaker that you love?
I just read your review at sonicvisions and this quote stood out- "Finally R showed me differences that can be made from changing something simple like the DAC power cable". What objective differences could be made by changing the power cable?

Here's a PSAudio DAC review posted here last November- https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...f-ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-dac.9100/

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't have that kind of budget for speakers. I spent $2,500 to get my dream speakers several years ago. They are 18 year old Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSEs. I'd love to get a pair of VR-5 Anniversaries. I don't want to spend the approximately $6,000-8,000 they would be today.

But yes, if I had the funds to play with the budget you're playing with, I'd buy a new pair of Von Schweikerts or Børresens. As the only component that has a sound speakers are a very personal decision. You either like them or you don't. Go with what you like.

Martin

OP
S

smodtactical

I just read your review at sonicvisions and this quote stood out- "Finally R showed me differences that can be made from changing something simple like the DAC power cable". What objective differences could be made by changing the power cable?

Here's a PSAudio DAC review posted here last November- https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...f-ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-dac.9100/

Its definitely possible it was a placebo but I definitely heard a difference. It was not a blind test so take that remark with a grain of salt.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have only heard YG speakers at shows... They were not my cup of tea. I agree with Ron, for $107,000 I'll take one of these:
iris

Martin
Lol, that would be sweet, but I'd probably get myself killed in one of those, with my lead foot and all! Besides, if we had that kind of money, it had dang sure first be spent on a kitchen remodel.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereophile has measurements! As usual you have to read between the lines to come to conclusions. I'm not very good at reading graphs so I have to rely on JA to explain, but he seems to say everything measures well so I have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Also since these speakers are so heavy, and so expensive, I think Amir will have more chance of winning the lottery then getting a pair in for measurement.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/yg-acoustics-sonja-13-loudspeaker-measurements

If anyone wants to analyize these measurements with a more critical take, be my guest.

From someone who does measure a lot of speakers here, they do seem to measure excellently from the midrange up (I don't trust JA's measurements for low frequencies, although from the method he uses and these measurements it can be inferred that these speakers' bass is shelved down slightly).

I would expect them to sound very clean and revealing, though possibly slightly on the lean/bright/overly detailed side, based on these measurements.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Also in general are you guys saying you wouldn't spend more than say $50k?
What planet are you on? Anyone who would spend that kind of money on loudspeakers has quite literally more money than sense. I find the idea quite offensive. Knock at least two zeros off that and you would be in the ballpark for most people.

Top Bottom