• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
I love music, I love listening to music with audio gear, but ASR's primary reason for existence has little to do with those.
Just a thought, it may be better to start a new thread on this topic (a little unwelcoming) to discuss it further, rather than here in the Welcome thread? :)

JSmith

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1698916114380.png

Ofcourse anyone would be welcome, I have no issue with that, and I extend my welcome to @ChaunceyG sincerely.
What I said was in response to Jim's reply, that loving music may not be The Best reason to be here, though he meant well.
I argued that the best reason maybe something else, as although ASR has many threads for loving music, humour, photography . . . etc., but its main function is something else.
I argued that ASR's main function (not only function) is the Science behind the audio reproduction, Objective measured results, almost to exclusion of subjective opinions (not always, but mostly).
I learnt that the hard way (still learning).
@JSmith I think we better drop it. you are right, it got a bit un-welcoming.

pinger

I just joined about a week ago. Been reading the forums for several months. From NY. Listen to Classical almost exclusively. Old fashioned I guess since I like my CD player and have zero interest in streaming. I like the no nonsense approach here which calls out snake oil products. I do have a guilty pleasure though in reading Stereophile but mainly just to see the new products. Very impressed by the level of knowledge here

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just joined about a week ago. Been reading the forums for several months. From NY. Listen to Classical almost exclusively. Old fashioned I guess since I like my CD player and have zero interest in streaming. I like the no nonsense approach here which calls out snake oil products. I do have a guilty pleasure though in reading Stereophile but mainly just to see the new products. Very impressed by the level of knowledge here
Welcome .
Yes, seeing some devices from stablished brands, fall flat on their faces in tests, can really give you a WTF moment, while some cheaper stuff can shine so brightly.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello from the other side of the pond.

HiMu

Hello from Finland! Been lurking in the forums for some time and decided to finally register.

~4 years ago I started to build a small listening / media / synth noodling room. Set up my speakers in the room and said to myself "Well, sounds like S**t, how can I improve this?"
After that I've been more and more fascinated by the beautiful complexity of room acoustics.

Alb_listens

Hi everyone, I'm Alberto from Italy!
Lurking on the internet trying to build a hifi I stumbled upon this very cool forum. It's been a while since I registered on a forum, I'm so excited to have done it again!

I play guitar and love to listen (mostly) to metal, rock and jazz. Right now my equipment is a Fiio headphone amplifier and a pair of HifiMan HE400i, they bring a lot of joy to my life.

See ya!

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi everyone, I'm Alberto from Italy!
Lurking on the internet trying to build a hifi I stumbled upon this very cool forum. It's been a while since I registered on a forum, I'm so excited to have done it again!

I play guitar and love to listen (mostly) to metal, rock and jazz. Right now my equipment is a Fiio headphone amplifier and a pair of HifiMan HE400i, they bring a lot of joy to my life.

See ya!
Welcome to ASR. Please check out our new guitar thread and feel free to share if you'd like to! https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/show-us-your-guitars.49169/

slo642

Hi, I'm Scott from Las Vegas. I have enjoyed music my whole life, but I never considered myself an audio file. In the last few years, I have found sorces of the music I enjoy dwindling. About a year and a half to two years ago, I decided to build a system to solve my listening needs.
I have been looking for a group in hopes of some advice on things I have left for my system. Watching reviews didn't feel like an objective way to get information on equipment. I'm sure I already have parts that I could have gotten better value with something else.
I have been lurking for a bit, and finally, thought I should introduce myself before posting questions.

Thanks for any help in the future.

D

Deleted member 21219

Hi, I'm Scott from Las Vegas. I have enjoyed music my whole life, but I never considered myself an audio file

Hello, Scott! If you enjoy music, you're definitely on the right track, whether you consider yourself an "audiophile" or not. Glad to see you here! :)

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

xuxinglin517

大家好,我是中国人,网友推荐来到这里,想看一下学习下并且希望能找到一款有线耳机以及随身播放器,谢谢啦

Translated by moderator. Please post in English going forward. ;)

Hello everyone, I am Chinese. I came here as recommended by a netizen. I want to take a look and learn about it and hope to find a wired headset and portable player. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

HappyCamper

Hi. My name is Stef, and I'm from Toronto, Ontario. I was eagerly reading the AVR reviews with great interest, and decided to sign up and join. It's nice to see hard data and analysis with the numbers. Looking forward to participating in discussions here. Thank you!

gaz

Hi everyone, I'm gaz from Australia.

Firstly, thanks to Amir and the crew for creating this site. I support your evidence-based approach, I apply it wherever possible.

I've been interested in audio and electronics since I was a kid and cut the tip off a pin and shoved it in the cartridge of an old turntable, and played sample records. As a teenager I put together a system for my parents, including secondhand Spendor SA-1 speakers, which I thought were awesome. As a young adult I had a Rega turntable and Polk Audio Monitor 7 speakers; back then it was possible to audition speakers in several hifi stores. This century I have had 5.1 and 5.2 systems, and a 7.1 using Audyssey DSX, which I thought was a good addition, but has now been out-marketed by Atmos, and is difficult to buy.

I watch all types of movies, series and documentaries; if I think the visual side is really important then I look for HDR 4K. My present screen is a recent Samsung model and it is ridiculous the effort I have expended to calibrate it: requires technical expertise, and is very unfriendly for normal consumers, who probably leave it in default settings. Also have an Xbox One and like first-person shooters and racing games, but usually forget to use it. The music I listen to is heavy metal, rock, pop pre-2010?, blues, world and western classical. Enjoyed this recently: A Four Movement Sonata: Tsugaru Shamisen https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/program/video/fourmovementsonata/

For serious music listening I use my Denon AVR’s HEOS player with my PC as a server. Audyssey XT32 sounds great, have not checked it yet with measurements. With music reproduction, my goal is to reproduce what the mixing engineer intended, I don't want the source, electronics, speakers or the room adding adjectives. If I like an album, I usually buy a lossless file, but surprisingly, sometimes I am geoblocked from purchasing.

I've worked as an industrial chemist, a process engineer and an English teacher. I do not work for a company now, I do personal projects, and travel and teach English in exchange for accommodation. I have done this with individuals, a private school and a university—send me a message if you are interested.

My other interests are: travel, photography, vegan food, Chinese teas, coffee, walking, MotoGP, GT3 racing, computing, maths, rollercoasters,19th century English novels.

johnk1

Hi. John here. I have not been a serious hobbyist, but I do like music and movies to sound good. So glad to have found this place. I've spent too many hours over the last few weeks blasting through threads and learning.

I think over the years, the occasional skeptical post on other forums resonated with me, so I long ago embraced the idea that modern electronics could basically do their jobs roughly equally well. Also that money was best spent on speakers. (Was that from speaker companies, like "breakfast is the most important meal" from cereal companies?).

Two things drew me here: one, trying to figure out if Bluetooth was good enough, and two, learning about NAS. I have not ever streamed music, having just bought it. After reading here, I've decided to shift to a streaming service (TBD) through some Wiim-type box, and not bother with what was to me a fairly intimidating process of digital storage and access. The clincher for me was that there are reasonable streaming approaches, considering both cost and ease of use, that serve as a high quality source.

The Wiim is also appealing to me because it has EQ, which is a big missing part of my setup. If the most important drivers of quality sound are the source, the speakers and the room, I'll have the first two nailed down and will need to figure out the room. Thanks to the folks here who provide such thorough and sensible information.

jwdevos

Hello ASR community,

I am Jaap from the Netherlands. The HiFi bug was handed down to me by my dad. I'm in my thirties now. Up to a few years ago, I had only commercial components in my system. Then I converted to mostly DIY (except DAC's, those aren't worth it mostly with the cheap high performance gear available now). Eventually I'd like to DIY a pair of good 2-way speakers with digital crossovers. Today the setup is my old Mission M74i speakers, Wiim Pro Plus and DIY Neurochrome Modulus-86 power amplifier. Some other stuff I've built are a B1 buffer in some army surplus chassis, Neurochrome LM3886DR in the same type of chassis, and ICEpower 200AS2 in a Modushop Galaxy chassis. I also have a streamer built in a Streacom FC-10 chassis. The Mod-86 lives in a Modushop Dissipante chassis.

Profesionally I'm in IT. I'm not professionally trained in electronics or psychoacoustics so it can be hard to differentiate between useful and false information. That's why I joined ASR.

I'll attach a photo of my current system. The rack I have now is low and wide (2 meters wide). I'd like to switch to a 1 meter wide rack with more height, to get more space to try different speaker positioning.

Kind regards,
Jaap

lucabrasidu13

Hello everyone.

I would first like to point out that I am French, all my texts will be translated by an automatic translator.

I'm in my late forties, I've been a big fan of music and electronic/electrical equipment since I was very young.

As far as music is concerned, I listen to absolutely all existing musical styles, I enjoy everything.

As for equipment, I have owned countless of them, from the most expensive to the least expensive.

Today, I have a passion for these inexpensive little boxes, which sound very good and which make me regret many previous purchases.

I think the best forum for technical details on these is here, thanks for having me.

See you soon

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

LMac

Hi all, Lawrence here from Canada. Been reading the reviews & watching the videos for a bit now, have a background in industrial controls so most of the language and electronic principles make sense, but learning a LOT about audio here and occasionally need to refresh a bit of the theory to better understand the discussions. Love tinkering with audio equipment and not afraid to break out the soldering iron when the need arises.

Fantastic content, keep up the great work.

Cheers, LMac

Top Bottom