• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AMP or DAC for new TV

Skrab

Hello everyone,

I just changed my old 2010 TV for a brand new LG C3, and I found out that there are no more analog output on these :facepalm:

I have an old Sony TA-161 amp with Wharfedale speakers ( s500 8ohms), I would really like to continue running at least the Wharfedale.

At first I was going for a super cheap DAC (20€ on amazon) to plug into my Sony, then I thought maybe I should put more money into it (was looking at SMSL DL200).

And now I've stumbled upon this forum, and saw a post talking about the WiiM amp.

As I'm a complete beginner, I'm not sure what to get.

- The WiiM Amp looks like it could replace the Sony TA161 easily, maybe outperform it ? It also have features that I could use (the audio streaming).

- Are there any other brand like WiiM amp that kinda does it all, that you would recommend ? around the same price point (can be higher, just not 2k€ like I saw on youtube, please :eek:)

- I would like to keep my setup fairly simple, I don't really want to get lots of equipment

Thank you

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!
- The WiiM Amp looks like it could replace the Sony TA161 easily, maybe outperform it ? It also have features that I could use (the audio streaming).

- Are there any other brand like WiiM amp that kinda does it all, that you would recommend ? around the same price point (can be higher, just not 2k€ like I saw on youtube, please :eek:)
The Wiim Amp is listed at 369€ in Amazon.de. (Which admittedly is a hefty premium over the US price of USD$299.)

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
A second hand STR-DB940 perhaps?

Good looking, powerful, indestructible, can be had for peanuts, and includes digital bass mid and treble EQ with variable F.

Dogen

Forum Donor
Does your new TV have a headphone jack? If so, you can use an adapter cable to send the sound to your amp. Bonus, its volume controlled.

OP
S

Skrab

If you only need the connection of the new TV and your amplifier, I would take something like this
Forgot to mention that the good old TA-F161 isn't in it's best shape, so that's why I started looking at things like the DL200

I also like the features of the WiiM because right now it's really a pain to stream audio from my computer to my amp. I could live without it though.

Does your new TV have a headphone jack? If so, you can use an adapter cable to send the sound to your amp. Bonus, its volume controlled.
only optical output

Welcome to ASR!

The Wiim Amp is listed at 369€ in Amazon.de. (Which admittedly is a hefty premium over the US price of USD$299.)
Yes I'm thinking about getting the WiiM, it fits the price range, and I like the features. But I'm more concerned if it's a good enough upgrade from the old amp, or if I should aim sligthly higher ?

Power output of the WiiM is higher, but I don't even use my current amp near a quarter of it's potential. SNR seemed (according to the spec) better on the TA-F161, but, will I ever notice the difference between 105dB and 96dB ?

A second hand STR-DB940 perhaps?

Good looking, powerful, indestructible, can be had for peanuts, and includes digital bass mid and treble EQ with variable F.
I'll have a look !

Zek

Major Contributor
Forgot to mention that the good old TA-F161 isn't in it's best shape, so that's why I started looking at things like the DL200
SMSL DL200 is just a DAC/headphone amp and you need an amplifier.

Antlestxp

the wiim is the best product at its price point. if size isn't an issue, the previous generation marantz slim avrs are another great option that won't be too expensive. Something like the nr1510 if you want surround or the nr1200 for stereo. all of the marantz devices have mature hdmi arc integration.

Top Bottom