• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starting with turntables

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I first setup my turntable it was on top of a pine chest of drawers in close proximity to one of the speakers.

The chest functioned as a very effective sound box, resonating in the bass frequencies. I was possible to hear them ringing after tapping the chest.

Solved pretty effectively by an offcut from a solid oak door sized to cover the top of hte chest. Damping material (car sound proofing) between it and the chest. Then a pad of the same damping material between each foot of the turntable and the oak.
Turntables are indeed mechanical vibration detectors. How and where they are set up can definitely impact how they sound. Glad you were able to make the siting work.

I’m fortunate in having a decades-old heavy MDF “stereo cabinet” upon which I can place my turntable on top. Weighted with components, it serves as a very good vibration control device but falls short of my spouse’s expectation of interior decoration.

liquidman101

Conversely, you can focus on CDs. The market may have abandoned the format but they still have real advantages over LPs as regards sound quality and durability. And you might not have to get up every 20 minutes to flip a disc, but you still have to swap out the CDs every 30 minutes to 80 minutes anyway. Best of all, they're practically giving them away these days. I got 34 spotless classical CDs at a library sale yesterday for $3.00. Try finding clean LPs for that kind of money. If you don't already have a CD player already you can find one for about the same money as one of the cheaper LP spinners. I'm using a BluRay player's digital out into a Topping E30, best digital sound I've ever had. The BluRay player was bought used for $8, the DAC was $130. Got a remote online for $10.
Hi Robin L - hope you don't mind me asking you a question. Agree with your post re: the advantages of cds - although one day when I can afford it I will subscribe to a decent streaming service I guess. I was in a store recently that sells LPs that are for the most part in very good condition. I didn't buy any but one thing I did think about while browsing was that some of the old LPs would be worth buying for the cover art work alone.

My question is regarding your set up - I also use a blue ray but I run mine via optical out to Topping Dx5. I'm using presonus studio monitors (looking to upgrade these asap). What speakers do you use with your setup?

thank you,

Paul.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Hi Robin L - hope you don't mind me asking you a question. Agree with your post re: the advantages of cds - although one day when I can afford it I will subscribe to a decent streaming service I guess. I was in a store recently that sells LPs that are for the most part in very good condition. I didn't buy any but one thing I did think about while browsing was that some of the old LPs would be worth buying for the cover art work alone.

My question is regarding your set up - I also use a blue ray but I run mine via optical out to Topping Dx5. I'm using presonus studio monitors (looking to upgrade these asap). What speakers do you use with your setup?

thank you,

Paul.
Infinity Primus 250 mini towers. Got this crazy cheap deal at an Amvets thrift store, a full set of surround speakers, the Infinity 360 towers, the 250s and the matching center speaker, all for $79. Far as I can tell, the 250s are 2 way speakers with two matching 5" mid/woofer drivers and 3/4" domes with waveguides. They are powered by a Yahama RX-V461 AVR that predates HDMI. I've got the Topping E 30 DAC connected via Optical Toslink to a Sony BDP BX-57 Blu Ray player. The analog output of the E 30 is connected to a Topping L 30 Headphone amp/preamp, then to the AVR. The AVR has a sub output that goes to a Sonus Son of Sub subwoofer.

I think the 250s are restricted to around 60/70hz on the bottom end, so the sub fills in the bottom nicely. It's all in a small room, so I don't need a big subwoofer. The reviews I've read concerning my speakers is that they really shine in the midrange, which is very important with classical music. They have limits as regards ultimate volume levels, but in the room where they're situated, it doesn't matter.

Top Bottom