• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 340 89.9%

• Total voters

Toku

Major Contributor
I have a D-6s connectes to computer by optical and XLR to actives.
I have come across this, when i power down my computer the dac goes into stand by mode, which is what i want but displays these 3 dashes, which is very annoyinhg,
Is there any way for DAC to remain in standby mode without those 3 dashes displaying.
Thanking you very much :)
7Heb656.jpg
Unfortunately, I don't think SMSL has the behavior you want.
I'm currently using Topping's E30ll and E50 connected to my PC, but with these products, when the PC is shut down and there is no input signal, it goes into sleep mode after a certain period of time and the display turns off.
If you restart your PC, it will return to normal operation.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got another D-6s and it's the perfect size for the Drop SMSL HO150X amplifier. They sound amazing and going to keep this pair as a daily driver. Using a Youkamoo 4.4mm to XLR adapter, and has all the inputs and outputs I need for when new stuff arrives and have to test for functionality.

SMSL D6S HO150x.jpg

redjr

I don’t know why I ever noticed the D6s. With such impressive specs I had to order one. The price was insane as well. I’ll have to put it up against some DACs I’ve diy’ed that are outstanding in their own right. Seeing how they are using the same chip, I doubt I’ll hear much difference - if at all.

redjr

Thanks, but this does not really answer if the preamp and the amplifier should be balanced as well as the balanced DAC. I am asking because I wonder if I should change all my gear to balanced equipment in order to take advantage of the performance of these balanced DACs. If so, so cheap after all! :)
Thanks, but this does not really answer if the preamp and the amplifier should be balanced as well as the balanced DAC. I am asking because I wonder if I should change all my gear to balanced equipment in order to take advantage of the performance of these balanced DACs. If so, so cheap after all! :)
Personally, I think balanced is overrated. Especially, if you don’t have long cable runs. All my gear has balanced I/O, but I still prefer the sound using RCA. Maybe it’s just me. I do have my FiiO K9 Pro connected to my pre using XLR, but RCA going to my Navis active speakers. Sound is wonderful. I do have a D-6s on the way, that I intend to hook up via XLR for the whole chain to the Navis. Maybe, directly to the Navis too, just to hear how that sounds.

redjr

Just a heads up, as of May 26th, the SMSL D-6S is now back in stock at APOS. It still ships from China though.

redjr

Do you need additional features this DAC has that your SU1 does not?

Or are you concerned about sound quality?

Because the SU1 is audibly transparent and lowering your noise and distortion from "audibly transparent" to "audibly transparent" will make no difference.
I use the SU-1 in my shop area, and you can't beat the performance for it's diminutive size and $79 price point. Sure I have other DACs in the house, and it competes very well.

redjr

No one has pointed it out, but I feel very uncomfortable with the model D-6s. D-6 and D-6s are both models planned and sold by Shenzhen Audio.
Looking at the contents of the D-6s, the DAC chip is new, but the rest is the same as the DO100 planned and sold by Aoshida. Is the D-6s the Shenzhen Audio version of the DO100?
Unfortunately, there have been many reports of problems with the DO100, where it suddenly makes a cracking noise and stops working after a certain period of time. Is the D-6s the improved version of that model? I have many things to think about regarding the birth of D-6s.

postscript
The display design of this DA-6S reminds me of SMSL's older model M9.
The DA-6S has a toy-like design that I don't like.
Do SMS design staff like this kind of design?
I've always thought the general design of the outward appearance of SMSL stuff is cheap and plasticky looking. Plus, those flat..ish plastic volume/encoder knobs they use really cheap'n the look - and feel. The D-6S looks better from a fit and finish aspect (I don't have mine yet.) It looks to have an aluminum chassis(I hope so), but I can't tell from the pictures. Personally, I don't mind the bumped out and up display area on the front. Gives it a distinctive look, and contrast the unit from the hundreds of little square boxes we so often see from the Chinese market.

redjr

I always keep my dacs on full. Just feels safer to me. I’ve never had a preamp volume fail.
An external preamp should be used for volume control - if you're using one. DAC/HP amps are different. Otherwise DAC should be used wide open. With all my roon end-points I build, I always config as fixed volume.

redjr

For a moment I forgot where I am - of course they all sound the same! ... :facepalm:;)

But yeah, apart from the preamp thing, a remote, the dual chip design, a very different PSU setup, the bluetooth and balanced output options (I could well do without) ... wait...
Actually, the SU-1 is a terrible deal these days.

I got the Smsl C100 for 100€ shipped, and still wished the Topping E30 II and Topping E30 II Lite had sounded a little more mellow/forgiving on my system, after comparing those units.
Topping just gets the UI done far better.

But the SU-1, I can't imagine why anyone would buy that thing, it's not cheap enough to chose it over say a Topping E30 II Lite.
To upgrade your tunes in the garage for peanuts. :)

nanook

I think balanced may be a real advantage when you have hooked up a lot of gear and Ground-loops start to get unavoidable and create hum. This is essentially where balanced connections in Audio were established. I don't think that you will notice the little bit smaller dynamic range when using RCA

The RCA outputs actually have an advantage too. Usually the stage subtracting the XLR+ and XLR- has an additional LP-filter and the implementation e.g. in the D-6s is built quite well (good resistors and OPA1612). The XLR output in many DACs is taken directly behind the individual I/V stages with some LP- filtering. Since many I/V stages (eg. D-6s) do not reference to the output Common-Mode signal but to a voltage divided from AVCC, the CM-noise and artefacts at the DAC chip outputs will show up at the XLR outputs and your differential pre-amp has to handle this small CM-portion in the signal. The AP analyzer will still measure perfectly fine having an excellent input stage, but I doubt my active speakers can compete... At the RCA output this subtraction is already done inside the DAC.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is audible, but from a system point of view it would be nice to remove the CM-portion already in the I/V stage and keep it from getting to the XLR output. Last not least - I'm a perfectionist.
The circuits shown in the datasheets of the ES9039q2m and the ES9039pro do this as far as I understood the circuit. They eliminate most of the CM-portion present in the chip- outputs, they do not require offset adjustment in manufacturing, but they might have a tiny bit more noise.

The "SINAD race" (also being fueled by this forum) again and again leads to technically disadvantageous design decisions to my opinion.
But this is going to be another thread.

Top Bottom