• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 14.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 258 81.9%

• Total voters

Stereodude

I think he's trying to complain that the A50 III wasn't also tested since the D50 III and A50 III are sort of a set and suggesting that Topping is trying to hide something by not sending it. Or, maybe that the A50 III was tested, but the results weren't released because the results are bad.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Or, maybe that the A50 III was tested, but the results weren't released because the results are bad.

@amirm would not do such a thing. As he has shown over many many reviews, he always publishes the results even if they cause headaches for him later.

In my opinion If people want the A50 iii tested they should let him know, either by contacting him directly (I did about the D50 iii), or by creating a thread about it and pining him in it.

Stereodude

@amirm would not do such a thing. As he has shown over many many reviews, he always publishes the results even if they cause headaches for him later.

I wasn't suggesting it myself, but trying to interpret ssn22's post. I likewise believe that amirm would post the results regardless whether they are poor or not.

Edit: It looks like I might have a Topping A50 III in a few days with no companion D50 III for about a month thanks to Shenzenaudio Store (via Aliexpress) selling me an "in stock" D50 III that they don't actually have and wanting an extra 30 days to ship. Maybe I can send the A50 III to Amirm to measure.

Last edited:
Reactions: TZT

Bleib

Major Contributor
Or, maybe that the A50 III was tested, but the results weren't released because the results are bad.
That's very doubtful, Topping has made superb headphone amps for quite some time by now. Amir has not tested Topping's DX9 either but it's their top product so I doubt it wouldn't be top of the class as pre-amp, headphone amp and DAC.
Similarly SMSL DL200 likely provides the same performance as D6s from the same company.

Bleib

Major Contributor
But back to the DAC. 1.21 is installed, remote is paired, antenna is installed. It can sometimes take a long time for the unit to respond to volume changes. Seems the BT is in some sort of sleep mode? Does this happen to others?

JOCoin

But back to the DAC. 1.21 is installed, remote is paired, antenna is installed. It can sometimes take a long time for the unit to respond to volume changes. Seems the BT is in some sort of sleep mode? Does this happen to others?
Mine does this as well, I'd assume the remote goes to sleep as the AAA batteries would die much faster if BT was always connected.

JOCoin

@amirm I would love to see measurements for the a50 iii. Mine arrived about 2 weeks ago and I love it. Design and build are excellent. It's like a runaway nuclear reactor in terms of power output for such a small device. Absolute overkill for my Sen HD600.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Mine does this as well, I'd assume the remote goes to sleep as the AAA batteries would die much faster if BT was always connected.
That kind of defeats the purpose of having a "better" remote. OK, no need to point it at the unit but you still have to wait quite a bit before it responds. Hardly ideal.
Don't know why Topping struggles with this, remotes have been around for ages

JOCoin

That kind of defeats the purpose of having a "better" remote. OK, no need to point it at the unit but you still have to wait quite a bit before it responds. Hardly ideal.
Don't know why Topping struggles with this, remotes have been around for ages
I rarely use the remote as I keep it set at 0 db output and use the knob on the a50 iii generally so it's fine but I do miss controlling volume with the remote on my dx3 pro +

Labjr

Major Contributor
Maybe they should have RF remotes like satellite receivers did. Or a remote app for your phone that works over bluetooth.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Maybe they should have RF remotes like satellite receivers did. Or a remote app for your phone that works over bluetooth.
Or just normal infrared like SMSL and LG products (like my OLED TV). Both respond better.
Denon RCD-N8 is a lot more responsive as well

JOCoin

Or just normal infrared like SMSL and LG products (like my OLED TV). Both respond better.
Denon RCD-N8 is a lot more responsive as well
My topping Dx3 pro + had an IR remote which was great but a lot of people on here complained about having to point the remote directly at the unit otherwise it wouldn't work. So seems like Topping kept that in mind when designing the D50iii.
Can't please everyone I guess, I'm just happy to get a remote at topping prices in reality.

ssn22

I wasn't suggesting it myself, but trying to interpret ssn22's post. I likewise believe that amirm would post the results regardless whether they are poor or not.

Edit: It looks like I might have a Topping A50 III in a few days with no companion D50 III for about a month thanks to Shenzenaudio Store (via Aliexpress) selling me an "in stock" D50 III that they don't actually have and wanting an extra 30 days to ship. Maybe I can send the A50 III to Amirm to measure.
There are many similar examples, such as A50III, BHA5, DX9
There is an old Chinese saying that ——lies cannot be told and the truth must not be told completely.
Show you only the good side and strategically avoid “certain things”
Not the way a scientist should behave, I think?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
There are many similar examples, such as A50III, BHA5, DX9
There is an old Chinese saying that ——lies cannot be told and the truth must not be told completely.
Show you only the good side and strategically avoid “certain things”
Not the way a scientist should behave, I think?

What in the world are you going on about? If you're just going to make vague accusations, go somewhere else to do that.

fatoldgit

1715464566946.png

Did we ever resolve this quandary?

1- that PEQ is only available on the USB input

OR

2- PEQ is available on all inputs but PEQ for 192/32 is only available on USB

Peter

Bleib

Major Contributor

Benesyed

Would love for topping to make this with some nice pretty materials and cool design. Would pay extra for that as long as the bones remained solid like they are here.

JOCoin

Would love for topping to make this with some nice pretty materials and cool design. Would pay extra for that as long as the bones remained solid like they are here.
They're fairly nicely made already. It's an aluminum housing, feels much more solid than pictures would make you think.

pillowaudio

Very nice, purchased on recommendation. Anyone playing around with Toping Tune EQ profiles willing to share/export? Unfortunate about the USB only EQ

Top Bottom