• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap DAC with good SINAD measurement.

Łukasz

First and foremost I would like to say hi to everyone.

Three years ago I chose my first DAC based on reviews published on the ASR, which is Topping E30. I am delighted by this device. I am looking for an additional DAC with RCA connectors. I examined the reviews published on the forum and I chose Topping E70. The DAC has a 122.8 dB SINAD score. However, if I understand correctly I should use measurements for RCA outputs. For the DAC this is 120 dB. Is this correct?

Furthermore, I noticed that some cheaper DACs have the same measurement for RCA output. e.g.
  • Topping E50 (SINAD 120 dB)
  • SMSL D-6s (SINDA 120 dB)
My current understanding is that all these devices are equally good when it comes to RCA outputs. Could somebody confirm this, please?

Additionality, I wonder why SMSL D-6s scores are not present in the recent SINAD bar chart, e.g. here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts/best-streamer-audio-review-2023-png.281722

Many thanks for all Your answers in advance.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My current understanding is that all these devices are equally good when it comes to RCA outputs. Could somebody confirm this, please?
The sound quality will be virtually the same between the better brands at the lower prices when using RCA terminations.

Thanks for making a very well put together request for info. Very pro...

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had all those, the E50 is excellent and the D-6s is too but makes a slight tick when changing bit rates. The E70 is really good, but unless you have an amp that doesn't clip with a 5 volt DAC and might perform better, save the money and stick with the E50.

Ecaroh

The E50 and the SMSL are virtually identical in price, and the SMSL supports Bluetooth and does not require an external power supply. Just pointing out things you probably know already. The tick mentioned by Dunring may or may not apply in your application.

OP
Ł

Łukasz

Thanks for all replies
I've had all those, the E50 is excellent and the D-6s is too but makes a slight tick when changing bit rates. The E70 is really good, but unless you have an amp that doesn't clip with a 5 volt DAC and might perform better, save the money and stick with the E50.
I am going to use D-6s to play Tidal therefore I expect frequent changes of bit rates. Does anybody know if the tick problem has been solved by a newer firmware version?
The E50 and the SMSL are virtually identical in price, and the SMSL supports Bluetooth and does not require an external power supply. Just pointing out things you probably know already. The tick mentioned by Dunring may or may not apply in your application.
I prefer SMSL due to decent Bluetooth codecs. But to be honest I will be not using Bluetooth too often.

linesplice

Are there any other DAC's that compete with or 'better' the E50 or D-6s for less than $200?

Skelethor

Hi Dunring,
I have these two models as well, and with me both via XLR do exactly the opposite.
The E70 emits slight annoying ticks, while the D-6s is completely silent.
There are some devilish things
Hugs

Skelethor

Obrigado por todas as respostas

Vou usar D-6s para jogar Tidal, portanto espero mudanças frequentes nas taxas de bits. Alguém sabe se o problema do tick foi resolvido com uma versão de firmware mais recente?

Eu prefiro SMSL devido aos codecs Bluetooth decentes. Mas, para ser sincero, não usarei o Bluetooth com muita frequência.

Thanks for all replies

I am going to use D-6s to play Tidal therefore I expect frequent changes of bit rates. Does anybody know if the tick problem has been solved by a newer firmware version?

I prefer SMSL due to decent Bluetooth codecs. But to be honest I will be not using Bluetooth too often.
Hi Łukasz.
My experience with this dac is different from some users I've seen here.
My D-6s connected via xlr is completely silent, no pop at all.
The bit rates change and it's completely silent
That's why it's fantastic for me

Top Bottom