• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mivera Audio DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not making anything under $10000 anymore. Not worth my time.
Can you ever answer a question with a direct answer? Geez.

Mivera

Major Contributor
In a way you are suggesting a $325 test equipment one should buy to judge other DACs and yet you aren't trashing it. How beautiful.

What I'm suggesting is if you need a $325 device in order to improve the audio gear, the Audio gear is shit. Don't buy the audio gear.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Can you ever answer a question with a direct answer? Geez.

Well I'm doing custom work based on the clients needs. So the price will vary based on what's actually built.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I'm doing custom work based on the clients needs. So the price will vary based on what's actually built.
Well, there are two options, have a website that has the base cost and has an options cost or have complete units with a cost. I just asked dac/pre price and get a rude response of nothing is < $10k as it's not worth your time. Really?

Mivera

Major Contributor
Well, there are two options, have a website that has the base cost and has an options cost or have complete units with a cost. I just asked dac/pre price and get a rude response of nothing is < $10k as it's not worth your time. Really?

My website hasn't been updated yet to reflect my next gen options. I don't see that as a rude comment. I'm just saying that the entry price for any of our future gear will start at $10000.

pinkupanda

What I'm suggesting is if you need a $325 device in order to improve the audio gear, the Audio gear is shit. Don't buy the audio gear.

The $79 DAC Amir measured doesn't show any measured improvement, neither in his listening impression. So that's a great DAC. Have you tested your gear with ISO-R and found not to improve subjectively (obviously you don't have any objective data and neither will) ?

Superdad

Audio Company
The big difference with Alex and his power supply is he's claiming it blocks leakage current and has extremely low ripple, yet measured results don't reflect it. The only measured result I share from my DAC is the phase noise of the clock. Anyone can feel free to measure the phase noise of my clocks if they wish and share results.

Hi Mike:
(Preamble as we have not exchanged in a while. I don't dislike you as much as you might think. And you have some good instincts. But your mouth and ego betrays your own interests and smart and mature people find that obnoxious. Other than that, it really is good to see you...)

Anyway, be careful about playing things from both sides. We all know that Amir is always measuring from the DAC, and anything he can't see he says we can't hear. And anything he sees he sometimes says must be bad. But he did not measure our power supply in any proper way directly. It is a very low noise, extremely low output impedance supply, and it does block leakage. (We will prove it.)
He measured from his DAC with his setup. He would measure your DAC from its outputs with his J-test.
--Alex C.

Mivera

Major Contributor
The $79 DAC Amir measured doesn't show any measured improvement, neither in his listening impression. So that's a great DAC. Have you tested your gear with ISO-R and found not to improve subjectively (obviously you don't have any objective data and neither will) ?

Well if you only gauge gear based on this 1 variable then I suppose that $79 DAC is great.

I have clients that tried the old regen with my Mivera Stack and claimed it only degraded quality. But since the Purestream doesn't have internal GI, if used with a noisy computer I can see the ISO-Regen improving things. But not when used together with my Superstream streamer.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Hi Mike:
(Preamble as we have not exchanged in a while. I don't dislike you as much as you might think. And you have some good instincts. But your mouth and ego betrays your own interests and smart and mature people find that obnoxious. Other than that, it really is good to see you...)

Anyway, be careful about playing things from both sides. We all know that Amir is always measuring from the DAC, and anything he can't see he says we can't hear. And anything he sees he sometimes says must be bad. But he did not measure our power supply in any proper way directly. It is a very low noise, extremely low output impedance supply, and it does block leakage. (We will prove it.)
He measured from his DAC with his setup. He would measure your DAC from its outputs with his J-test.
--Alex C.

Well if you didn't piss me off in the first place on both CA and Headfi, I wouldn't have anything bad to say about you. I understand your method of marketing is what's required to sell gear to audiophiles. I'm just not a salesman.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well if you didn't piss me off in the first place on both CA and Headfi, I wouldn't have anything bad to say about you. I understand you're method of marketing is what's required to sell gear to audiophiles. I'm just not a salesman.
LOL. Says the guy who says that a customer should just listen to his dac as measurements don't mean anything. You really are funny!

pinkupanda

Well if you only gauge gear based on this 1 variable then I suppose that $79 DAC is great.

I have clients that tried the old regen with my Mivera Stack and claimed it only degraded quality. But since the Purestream doesn't have internal GI, if used with a noisy computer I can see the ISO-Regen improving things. But not when used together with my Superstream streamer.

I don't know what Superstream is but I am assuming its similar to microRendu or SoTM sms-200. Does you Superstream has GI on the USB output ? If not, then how can you blindly claim ISO-R is ineffective ?

Mivera

Major Contributor
LOL. Says the guy who says that a customer should just listen to his dac as measurements don't mean anything. You really are funny!

Measurements do mean something. But if we start talking about proper measurements that are meaningful with today's audio, it will be like talking in another language that most won't understand. It will only confuse people.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I don't know what Superstream is but I am assuming its similar to microRendu or SoTM sms-200. Does you Superstream has GI on the USB output ? If not, then how can you blindly claim ISO-R is ineffective ?

We take a different approach and isolate the entire computer board, rather than the USB chain.

pinkupanda

We take a different approach and isolate the entire computer board, rather than the USB chain.

what computer board you have and what mechanism you use to isolate it ? The GI on ISO-R/Intona is pretty loud and clear as to how it does it at a very broad level.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1. Its also called hypocrisy.
To openly bash another manufacture about their business practice and then basically do the same exact thing just boggles my mind. I don't see how any reasonable person can read this any other way. I will say this, while the UpTone products have their purpose (not in my system) and I wasn't able to return the Iso Regen as I missed the cut-off by a couple of days I don't think it's right to say something against again UpTone while preaching the same exact sales tactic. What I want is for ALL companies in this hobby to be open and present their scientific data. Sadly, it's full of bullshit and gullible consumers so that will never happen regardless of the specific equipment. This is the reason I'll only deal with certain manufactures these days. Period.

Superdad

Audio Company
Well if you didn't piss me off in the first place on both CA and Headfi, I wouldn't have anything bad to say about you. I understand your method of marketing is what's required to sell gear to audiophiles. I'm just not a salesman.

What "method" is that? If you mean we design products, show the boards, explain the theory, build and ship them on time with a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 3-year warranty, and are available to support, answer questions, and be friendly--then yes, that is my devious "method." And apart from the $3K/yr. I pay to sponsor a forum section at CA, I've yet to spend a dime on marketing. Our happy customers do that for us.

Mivera

Major Contributor
what computer board you have and what mechanism you use to isolate it ? The GI on ISO-R/Intona is pretty loud and clear as to how it does it at a very broad level.

I use fiber optics and a good supply that has extremely low leakage current to isolate things. The computer board has a dedicated USB bus powered direct from the main supply. No switching regulators in the USB path.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use fiber optics and a good supply that has extremely low leakage current to isolate things. The computer board has a dedicated USB bus powered direct from the main supply. No switching regulators in the USB path.
Is the board an in house design or off the shelf board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom