• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Millivolt Meter Recommendation for Audio

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
You are 100% correct. Input levels, playback levels and final stage levels are all adjusted before messing with any VU trims.
I think we're getting to the same end. Admittedly I'm not familiar with this particular model, but I've calibrated zillions of Studers. The VU meters need to read zero for a particular output voltage, one way or another. How you get there is up to the user.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
So I'm not sure what to make of these results.

First, a DC battery test with a D cell battery. The packaging says 1.5V; I have no idea how loose D cell battery tolerances are.

View attachment 83831

6.7% off spec. Is it the meter or the battery? No idea...

Moving on the to the calibration tape.

View attachment 83832

The default reference fluxivity for the PR99 MK II is 250 nWB/m = 0 VU

So it's expected that a 355 nWb/m tape gives this result for a 1 kHz tone.

View attachment 83833

Looks like the left channel is about 0.5 dB too low.

When measuring the 1 kHz test tone at 355 nWb/m = +3 VU, we get this output at the XLR line out jacks, in CAL (calibrated / fixed) mode:

View attachment 83834

So the next part is where my math is making me less than confident.

At 0 VU on the meter, the output should be +4 dBU at the XLR jacks, which = 1.23 VAC, I think.

So +3 dB on the VU meter should be.....+7 dBU, which = 2.24 VAC??

Is that math correct?

If so, either the output is a little hot, the meter is off by .01V, or my measuring is doing something wrong.

Or my math is wrong.
Use this

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You are 100% correct. Input levels, playback levels and final stage levels are all adjusted before messing with any VU trims.

I think we're getting to the same end. Admittedly I'm not familiar with this particular model, but I've calibrated zillions of Studers. The VU meters need to read zero for a particular output voltage, one way or another. How you get there is up to the user.

Isn't the manual implying you can't accurately calibrate the output to a reference standard without first calibrating the input circuit?

Maybe if you're only doing playback, calibrating output alone would be okay, but if we're trying to calibrate the record and monitor circuits, too, don't we need both input and output adjusted?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
2.25 V RMS = 9.3 dBU

I'm not sure what that tells me relative to operating levels, if 0 dB on the VU meter is supposed to correspond to +4 dBU / 1.23 V RMS at the line out.
1.23V is +4dB above .775V which is equal to 1milliwatt into 600 Ohms. There is a rather complicated history why the +4 came about, but that's probably too far down in the weeds at this point.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Isn't the manual implying you can't accurately calibrate the output to a reference standard without first calibrating the input circuit?

Maybe if you're only doing playback, calibrating output alone would be okay, but if we're trying to calibrate the record and monitor circuits, too, don't we need both input and output adjusted?

At this point, I'd just follow the manual step by step if you're not already familiar with calibrating pro machines. They're basically all the same in the end. You just want the VU meters to equal a known output voltage from the line out jacks. Then they are basically your reference.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Absolutely. Otherwise it's a circle of confusion.

Follow the manual. The steps are the same for all tape decks, be they open reel or cassette, two head, three head or six head. It gets really fun when you have bidirectional autoreverse three head decks or switchable 2/4 track decks, all with their own rec and playback amplifiers.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Absolutely. Otherwise it's a circle of confusion.

Follow the manual. The steps are the same for all tape decks, be they open reel or cassette, two head, three head or six head. It gets really fun when you have bidirectional autoreverse three head decks or switchable 2/4 track decks, all with their own rec and playback amplifiers.
Well, two head decks that have a combination record/play head are a particular pain in the ass!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Also this.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-gainloss.htm

I will be first to admit I haven't calibrated one of these decks and I don't know the circuit implementation and where the adjustments are, playback gain, vu level adjustment.

My take on it would be that if 250nW is 0dB for that deck then 355nW played back from your reference cal tape is going to be +2.74dB on the VU meters.

This is 6.74dBu and 1.68 V RMS.

So set replay gain to give output of 1.68 v rms and meters to read +2.74dB

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Also this.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-gainloss.htm

I will be first to admit I haven't calibrated one of these decks and I don't know the circuit implementation and where the adjustments are, playback gain, vu level adjustment.

My take on it would be that if 250nW is 0dB for that deck then 355nW played back from your reference cal tape is going to be +2.74dB.

This is 6.74dBu and 1.68 V RMS.

So set replay gain to give output of 1.68 v rms and meters to read +2.74dB

The VU meters seem to match the expected reference fluxivity, but based on what you wrote, the output voltage seems too high in comparison at 2.25V.

Then again, it's entirely possible I was measuring it wrong.

I was using alligator clips directly on the XLR pins at the line out.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
And then +3 on the meters =......?

That would be +7dB above 0.775V (after you've calibrated them so they mean something).

20 log Vout/Vin.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The VU meters seem to match the expected reference fluxivity, but based on what you wrote, the output voltage seems too high in comparison at 2.25V.

Then again, it's entirely possible I was measuring it wrong.

I was using alligator clips directly on the XLR pins at the line out.
Indeed, I may be missing something here. It's probably very obvious ;)

The VU meters are behaving exactly as expected, minor trim issue.

Well we know that 0dB on the VU meters is 1.23 volts (+4dBu)
1.23 volts + 2.74dB is 1.68 volts. So where is the issue :)?

Can you measure again to be sure?

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Thanks..... it's the log scale to voltage I always forget.

I'm too used to thinking in bits and digital reference levels.
SEE that's why digital stinks and analog rules. :D

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Indeed, I may be missing something here. It's probably very obvious ;)

The VU meters are behaving exactly as expected, minor trim issue.

Well we know that 0dB on the VU meters is 1.23 volts (+4dBu)
1.23 volts + 2.74dB is 1.68 volts. So where is the issue :)?

Can you measure again to be sure?

Is there a better way to measure than attaching alligator clipped probes to the #2 and #3 pins of the male XLR line out jack?

XLRConnectors.gif

But for now, I need to cook a pork chop for dinner.

Top Bottom