• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

macOS vs. Windows vs. Linux

Which OS do you prefer?

• macOS

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • Windows

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • Linux

Votes: 30 25.4%

• Total voters

DonR

Major Contributor
For those who use a Mac, what mouse do you use?
My daughter uses a Logitech wireless on her iMac. I use a wireless Apple mouse on my old mini.

As for the OP, I use Android now more than anything.

OP
K

Kain

Any comments/opinions on the Magic Mouse?

Martini

Forum Donor
I use the Logitech Master MX S3 for Mac. I also have the MX Anywhere, because it packs easier, it currently stays in my backpack. I also like the Apple TrackPad, which has some useful gesture control. It's linked to my Mini. I do have the Apple Magic Mouse, and while I like the touch surface control, it is an uncomfortable mouse with the sharp edge around the perimeter. Apple obviously went with esthetics over comfort. It lives in a drawer nibbling cheese.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Logitech MX Master 3S works excellent and is my fav mouse. You can do wireless USB (comes with dongle) or bluetooth. Software and customization are excellent. Wireless USB is especially great if you dock/swap multiple computers at the same workspace (swapping bluetooth pairing sucks). I swap back and forth between my personal and work laptop, and wireless USB is seamless.

To the original question: Mac for Desktop, Linux for everything else (I'm a geek and run lots of stuff).

OP
K

Kain

With the MX Master 3S, do you guys use it over Bluetooth or the supplied USB receiver? Is there any latency/responsiveness difference between the two options when on a Mac?

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
With the MX Master 3S, do you guys use it over Bluetooth or the supplied USB receiver? Is there any latency/responsiveness difference between the two options when on a Mac?
I use USB because I switch between 2 different MacBook Pro's on my desk, so the mouse is tied to the USB chain instead of being paired to the computer. Thus the wireless connection floats seamlessly between computers when I swap them out. I also perfer the lower lag of wireless USB. That said, I would not call the BT lag objectionable.

khensu

I’ve used a magic mouse for several years. It takes 2-AAs rather than being rechargeable, so thankfully, I don’t have the problem with the charging port. I like it well enough, but it did take a bit of getting used to at first. I most likely would not buy another. As is the case with all Apple products, it is over-priced. The difference with this mouse is there’s no compelling reason to buy one. It’s a mouse

milw50717

It's horses for courses for me with no one preferred OS. I use what I feel is best for the use case:
  • Linux - Debian/Proxmox nodes + Redhat + Rocky for the 7x24 server and infrastructure stuff
  • Windows 10 Pro for one legacy piece of hardware that I will eventually wean myself off.
  • MacOS for desktop and laptop. A nice GUI with Unix under the hood for scripting, SSH, etc. I switched from Windows before WSL was a thing, but have no regrets other than the more expensive hardware.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Explain what you mean by this?
Many organizations entrust security and many other causes to Microsoft due to their “support”. But using Microsoft has not hardened networks. Quite the opposite.

AudiOhm

Linspire/Lindows anyone?

Ohms

milw50717

Logitech M570 Ergonomic mouse with thumbwheel. Now discontinued but I stocked up when they went on clearance. Works well across all of the platforms I use.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor

If you want my highest recommendation of input devices, I'd say Apple's Magic Trackpad on the left, 10 keyless mechanical keyboard in the middle, and the MX Master 3S to the right. Having a trackpad to the left is a revelation, and once you try it you'll wonder why you haven't always been doing it. It does not take long for the left hand to get competent at using it. Both input devices have their advantages, and splitting the use of a pointing device between L/R hands reduces stress on the dominant wrist.

IMG_2895.jpeg

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say depends on the use case and the version of Windows. I have been a long time Windows user. Recently however I prefer MacOS for day to day use and for work - I actually have a Windows work laptop and use MS Remote Desktop from the Mac to use it. Some apps I like better on Windows though - like VS Code, REW so weekends I use Windows PC. I'd say W95, XP, W10 and W11 are good. For every other Windows version, I'd prefer MacOS. Linux is for headless machines in my world. No, I kid. I have a Linux desktop machine but I rarely ever use it. There is not reason for me to use Linux really. If MS does what some people claim they are gonna do with W12, I might switch to Linux though.

Last edited:

dguillor

Forum Donor
One can take that further...serious work, process and resource management and a proper network stack requires UNIX. Linux is UNIX-like, but it is NOT UNIX.
Doesn’t a Mac have Unix? It’s not hard to get to the Unix system.

Top Bottom