• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

macOS vs. Windows vs. Linux

Which OS do you prefer?

• macOS

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • Windows

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • Linux

Votes: 30 25.4%

• Total voters

Spyerx

Meh, you can have at it having to mess with building computers and windows. Ugh.
You are literally defending Apple for preventing you from upgrading, as if Tim Cook gives you shares or benefits or lollipops for defending Apple. As long as people like you exist, Apple will continue to rip off its customers and the entire Apple community is the one that loses. You would be better off protesting to Apple that you do not want to pay extortionate prices for RAM and storage, and that these should be upgradeable. If their users spoke up and it affected their bottom line, they would change. But no, every iteration of Mac gets less upgradeable and costs more, and it is people like you who are the reason why.
you literally have no idea what you’re going on about. Get over it.

droid2000

Meh, you can have at it having to mess with building computers and windows. Ugh.

Crazy fucks totally divorced from reality. Glad to see you call it out.

Keith_W

Major Contributor

Macworld wrote an article about Apple's overpriced RAM. Quote from that article:

"Are the new M3 Macs great computers? Sure. Are they expensive? You betcha. Does any excuse for Apple’s stingy 8GB RAM configurations or highway-robbery RAM upgrade prices? Absolutely not. This is pure corporate greed from the world’s biggest and richest technology company, and as Apple customers, we shouldn’t stand for it."

Now, Apple prices don't affect me as a Windows PC user. It affects YOU. This is the same ASR that thinks that a $1000 DAC is overpriced, yet some here are happy to pay $200 for 8GB of RAM. That's snake oil prices. Do you have an explanation for the double standard, or are you in the market for some overpriced cable?

droid2000

Macworld wrote an article about Apple's overpriced RAM. Quote from that article:

"Are the new M3 Macs great computers? Sure. Are they expensive? You betcha. Does any excuse for Apple’s stingy 8GB RAM configurations or highway-robbery RAM upgrade prices? Absolutely not. This is pure corporate greed from the world’s biggest and richest technology company, and as Apple customers, we shouldn’t stand for it."

Now, Apple prices don't affect me as a Windows PC user. It affects YOU. This is the same ASR that thinks that a $1000 DAC is overpriced, yet some here are happy to pay $200 for 8GB of RAM. That's snake oil prices. Do you have an explanation for the double standard, or are you in the market for some overpriced cable?

Bad look for you. Dumb arguments.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
>MacOS is okay for people who don't want to think and don't need to do anything fancy. It just works mostly.

Seeing so much of this^^^

They’re not wholly wrong though. I’d slightly tweak to “people who want to use computers to do other shit and not spend all day futzing with computers.”

That is to say, if the computer is just a tool to do other stuff, then one’s probably a Mac person.

However, if the computer is the thing you want to do, then there’s all the other ones.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor

Yikes! I was thinking of getting another 16GB for my daughter's 2011 iMac. C$25.

raif71

Major Contributor
1701585911173.jpeg

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm surprised nobody mentioned virtualization. That seems to me like probably the most complicated but also potentially the most flexible. Windows will get you great hardware support and virtualization will get you great enterprise level Linux/Unix support. With the huge hard disks and fast processors with ginormous RAM it seems like virtualization should be a slam-dunk. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to me for all you pro enterprise sysops you'd definitely be running virtualized everything under Windows and enjoy the best of both worlds?
"be running virtualized everything under Windows" (it's mostly the other way around, Windows running on virtualised platforms)

Actually, VMWare is the 'go to' product for a virtualisation platform. There are other virtualisation platforms such as KVM (native to Linux), ProxMox etc. etc. (these all depend on Linux and KVM one way or another).

And as far as complicated goes - well it's as easy as installing Windows these days.

In my last sysadmin role, I was running 10 Windows machines under VMWare, and a pfSense firewall as well. The host server barely broke out a sweat (and it wasn't particularly high spec either).

Any flavour of BSD (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD) has always been a bit niche IMHO - as a sysadmin of some 25 years, I rarely used it at all (apart from pfSense which is BSD based). Most BSD gurus I know are true hard core geeks.

OldTimer

If you want to use apple product in a reasonable price then buy used one. I will buy M3 Macs when M4 is available,

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The people that criticize macs are those that have never used one.

No idea what a reasonable pricing structure should be. But it doesn't matter to me. I have used macs, and, they're just not my cup of tea.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm surprised nobody mentioned virtualization. That seems to me like probably the most complicated but also potentially the most flexible. Windows will get you great hardware support and virtualization will get you great enterprise level Linux/Unix support. With the huge hard disks and fast processors with ginormous RAM it seems like virtualization should be a slam-dunk. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to me for all you pro enterprise sysops you'd definitely be running virtualized everything under Windows and enjoy the best of both worlds?

Virtualization comes with some compromises when running on a desktop system. I'm talking about useability, rather than technical limitations. For example, what happens to all your virtualized workloads when you put your desktop to sleep?

Personally, my desktop runs Windows 11 Pro (on the Insider Beta channel). I use a tiny 35W i3 based Dell micro PC as a Vmware ESXi host running virtualized and containerized workloads (on Ubuntu server VMs) and a couple of Synology NAS doing file, backup and media server (Plex) duties.

kysa

"be running virtualized everything under Windows" (it's mostly the other way around, Windows running on virtualised platforms)

Actually, VMWare is the 'go to' product for a virtualisation platform. There are other virtualisation platforms such as KVM (native to Linux), ProxMox etc. etc. (these all depend on Linux and KVM one way or another).

And as far as complicated goes - well it's as easy as installing Windows these days.

In my last sysadmin role, I was running 10 Windows machines under VMWare, and a pfSense firewall as well. The host server barely broke out a sweat (and it wasn't particularly high spec either).

Any flavour of BSD (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD) has always been a bit niche IMHO - as a sysadmin of some 25 years, I rarely used it at all (apart from pfSense which is BSD based). Most BSD gurus I know are true hard core geeks.

For homelab purposes, i run everything via Xen hypervisor because i really don't want to get hacked, And the security side of things is a valid concern for various -arr apps. Nextcloud, the supposed go-to selfhosted cloud replacement, is written in PHP, for instance...

Spyerx

do i tell you how to spend your money? Nope. Mac’s offer a better experience. It’s worth the money. dont Care about ram prices i never think about it.

cables? I have canare connecting a luxman 509x to harbeth speakers. Are you ok with that?
But, cables don’t matter. Computing platforms do.
you choose to have a hobby fking around with windows and hardware.
i choose to listen to music Via my Mac’s and get work done via my Mac’s.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't have to. I am literally running a mac mini from 2014 running dirac live 3 with DLBC and Roon because it doesn't need the junk you do. But enjoy spending time and money upgrading your stuff lol
So what are you doing about the current MacOS not being supported on your old Mac Mini? I know there are solutions to this, I use one on my old 2014 MacBook Pro, but heck it periodically is far more trouble than Linux or Windows. You appear to be two versions behind. Just going to stick with it for say 5 more years?

SSS

PCs used from DOS to Windows 10 now. Win 11 is not supported on my hardware. Had some Mac sessions in the busines long time ago to use with printers. It was a nightmare for me at least. Main problem, automatic settings, not knowing what the OS does and did. Some was hard to change then.
With some usage in Windows much can be adjusted fairly. This is my personal experience. Long time ago tried Linux. Easy OS but many application software not available. Most software vendors program for Windows and Mac and Android now. Not so much for Linux. So I need to stay with Windows

Spyerx

So what are you doing about the current MacOS not being supported on your old Mac Mini? I know there are solutions to this, I use one on my old 2014 MacBook Pro, but heck it periodically is far more trouble than Linux or Windows.
you can choose to run the latest os supported which does still get patches and support.
you could run linux on it
you can get open core legacy patcher. I have an old mini from 2011 running the latest os and it works fine. its Pretty seamless once installed.