• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need to listen flac. Which approach is best to use?

Digital_Thor

I use an Allo Digi One player:
https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione-player.html
Copy my FLAC files on a USB stick (500GB) and stick it in. Run Picoreplayer and control it on my phone via WIFI. Any other software than picoreplayer might work just as well. You simply chose the one you like, that also fit with the Allo digi one.

Tried to connect my CD player via spdif too, so I could switch between the two. Started the same CD as I had ripped to FLAC. I could not hear a difference, if my life depended on it.
So using the Allo is pure convenience... rather than popping in a disk :cool:

staticV3

Master Contributor
As for WIIM, I don’t understand why it is better for me. I'am going to transfer high-quality sound from the computer via wires. If I or my friend need to play something from his phone, then Bluetooth is more convenient than installing the WIIM application.
The WiiM has Bluetooth. Your friend doesn't have to install an App.

The advantage over EQ on your PC is that no matter if you play via your PC, the network, or Bluetooth, the room correction will be applied.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as you have a headphone output on your Android 'phone, you don't need an extra DAC as there's already a perfectly good one in the 'phone. That will allow more budget for loudspeakers, and I would earnestly suggest you get some active 'speakers that you can drive directly from the 'phone.

S.

Yes and heck, with addition of a 1TB memory card (~$100 US) to his phone, he'd have his whole collection at hand.

OP
S

Steiners

3-4m listening distance is huge and not recomendable at all, especially if the distancee between speakers is not also similar. Reverberated sound will dominate causing confusion, and imaging will suffer due to atypical listening triangle. Whatever the gear in use... Worst posible choice small studios monitors of course...

Сan you be a little more detailed? I can move the speakers 3 meters apart, and sit about 3 meters from their front. I had doubts about monitors precisely because of this. But here on the forum they said everything will be ok. In any case, I'll try to listen to them before purchasing.

Toni Mas

Сan you be a little more detailed? I can move the speakers 3 meters apart, and sit about 3 meters from their front. I had doubts about monitors precisely because of this. But here on the forum they said everything will be ok. In any case, I'll try to listen to them before purchasing.
Good stereo imaging requires the loudspeakers and listening position forming an equilateral triangle ( 3 x 60º angles).

Also more than 3m is probably beyond the critical distance in your room.

Also small nearlfield monitors are stressed too much to sound loud enough as distance increases.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Only possible difference between "studio monitors" and home "HiFi speakers" is dispersion width. Wider it is it will bounce more from walls and lose less dB with distance increase, you would also get wider ideal coverage area (with very expensive one's that keep that property in highs with let's say berilium twitters). But this comes with expense of more refractions and less direct sound received. To say it simple in small room it's better not to have wide dispersion speakers. It's simple really create less problems not to have to deal with them more. It's good if you can move speakers wider but let tham have at least 50 cm from side wall each. Equal triangle is not that important regarding distance from speakers. Important is that tweaters are in line with ears vertically and that horizontal angle is such that reception of highs is as good as achievable and as much as possible in line with target.

Toni Mas

Equal triangle is not that important regarding distance from speakers.
2 meters between speakers and 4m listening distance no good at all. Especially if beyond critical distance. Side wall reflections not really an issue if carefully balanced side to side.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
2 meters between speakers and 4m listening distance no good at all. Especially if beyond critical distance.
Achievable is 2 m between speakers at 2.8 m distance (20 cm behind speakers and 1 m behind listening spot in 4 m long room and 3m wide).
Critical distance equal triangle and such are nonsense, if that's true you would never have good large concert hale or live open sounding done sound system. Which is achievable with in line areas of dipole sub's and long loaded horns. 3~4m isn't really that very far and you do distance room correction and that's perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Toni Mas

Achievable is 2 m between speakers at 2.8 m distance (20 cm behind speakers and 1 m behind listening spot in 4 m long room and 3m wide).
Critical distance equal triangle and such are nonsense, if that's true you would never have good large concert hale or live open sounding done sound system. Which is achievable with areas of dipole sub's and long loaded horns. 3~4m isn't really that very far and you do distance room correction and that's perfectly fine.
That's your book. Not mine.

Btw it is hard to find an affordable good seat at any concert hall ( most are a real pain...), and regarding live open space PA assisted events if you call this HIFI...:facepalm:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quick note;
There's theory: speakers pulled out from the walls, in an equilateral triangle with the listening position and the listening position well away from walls ... and then there is the real world. Unless you are very lucky, there will be compromises. Your music can still sound fantastic, and usually does.

Enjoy the music

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
That's your book. Not mine.
That's my personal experience that I can confirm with measurements, physics and so on. Ideal doesn't exist, you work with what you have. You can't recommend someone to buy a new hause with bunker spherical shaped large ideal listening room.

Toni Mas

You can't recommend someone to buy a new hause with bunker spherical shaped large ideal listening room.
Nobody has done this... Just been commenting about listenning position and loudspeaker placement in real life limited conditions...

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Quick note;
There's theory: speakers pulled out from the walls, in an equilateral triangle with the listening position and the listening position well away from walls ... and then there is the real world. Unless you are very lucky, there will be compromises. Your music can still sound fantastic, and usually does.

Enjoy the music
You simply can't have good ratio of back to front refractions in a small room (no such treatment for 100 Hz and lower exist and one's that are half way successful to 170~250 Hz range are tick cages). So you go for next best thing that delay is as small as possible between them putting speakers close to wall behind them.
Bermude triangle...

Toni Mas

So you go for next best thing that delay is as small as possible between them putting speakers close to wall behind them.
Agree on this... But side walls issues can also been dealed with, if symetry can be maintained side to side.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Since a lot of others are posting "if you can stretch your budget" recommendations, how about some "if you want to entirety blow your budget and go crazy" recommendations?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
More seriously, though, this may help:

No it won't, it will brake things out and make them completed.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
No it won't, it will brake things out and make them completed.
Please explain.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Read the discussion. He was rather limited budget so keeping it simple makes it work.
Clearly you did not watch the video.

The OP stated in the first post "Budget is 500-600€". This video covers simple options from $530 - $1,120, so covers that budget.

The OP stated "Android phone + LDAC -> amp -> speakers" and "Computer -> (dac -> amp) -> speakers" as options. The video provides options for that.
I'm new to the HIFI world and trying to get the approach is right for me before I buy anything. I would like to hear the opinions of experienced in this topic.
This video was made by a very knowledgeable engineer to address your specific question.

Top Bottom