• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Help in building 2.1 system

kaloogi

Hi All,

First post but I have been reading reviews and opinions for quite some time seeking purchase advice for a 2.1 audio system.

I need help/guidance with the below :

Trying to build a 2.1 system primarily for music / audio . I already have a very old 7.1 AVR Harmon Kardon AVR-235 (uses a Cirrus CS 49400 DSP) along with a pair of Klipsch RP500M bookshelf speakers and a very old Infinity TSS-SUB750 (soon to be replaced) .

My question is should I
a) purchase a good DAC and continue to use the AVR as a power AMP (RCA from DAC to direct -in on AVR) , or
b) Purchase a current budget amp (potentially with an integrated DAC) .

Objective is quality sound within a very tight budget of <= USD $300

I have been eyeing :
1) AMPS :- SMSL AO200 MKII (AMP) or SMSL AO300

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd look at the Wiim Amp perhaps. Is there something wrong with just using the HK for now since money is tight? Does it not do something?

OP
K

kaloogi

I'd look at the Wiim Amp perhaps. Is there something wrong with just using the HK for now since money is tight? Does it not do something?
Hi @Chrispy

Thanks for your reply!

Continuing to use the HK as a power amp is certainly one path but it seems to be unable to decode higher quality flac files (e.g. 24 bit 192 khz flac).

So I will need a DAC no matter what as I see it.

Question is would audio experience be better just by adding a DAC more with new AMP (DAC bundled) ?

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For all the crap that AVRs get they really do a lot of things for the money. Maybe upgrade the AVR to get the functionality you need and then think about upgrading the speakers next time the upgrade urge & budget converge?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @Chrispy

Thanks for your reply!

Continuing to use the HK as a power amp is certainly one path but it seems to be unable to decode higher quality flac files (e.g. 24 bit 192 khz flac).

So I will need a DAC no matter what as I see it.

Question is would audio experience be better just by adding a DAC more with new AMP (DAC bundled) ?

I wouldn't worry about 24/192 files for sound quality vs 16/44.1 cd quality, you'd be challenged to hear any difference (aside from different mastering). Looks like your avr can do up to 96khz sampling for pcm in any case. I wouldn't spend the money personally to accommodate 24/192 but YMMV. If you use any processing in the HK it may convert it to 48 in any case....many avrs do.

Verig

I second that. Hi-res is nice to have while editing but it offers nothing as an end product.

AVR offers an adjustable crossover and proper sub out. That is much more meaningful for integration and good sound than external dac.
With a budget start from speakers and speaker placement and check if you can do anything to room acoustics.

HK is not high-end but their amps always come with enough power. My friend had one of those, no complaints there. It doesn't look very interesting on paper but it has a good power supply and conservative rating. Nowadays you could say it's Very conservative. AO200mkII doesn't have more power than you have now. Also, the sub out looks like it just has a cut off at 200Hz, it's not a true adjustable crossover like you get with an avr. It works with your sub adjustments, sure, but it's always bit of a hassle and rarely optimal.

Then again AO200mkII looks nice and tidy. So you're not wasting money with it. Will it sound different? I think it will to certain extent. Magic bullet? Not really, and comes with some extra work with the sub. I'd still begin with the speakers.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
a) purchase a good DAC and continue to use the AVR as a power AMP (RCA from DAC to direct -in on AVR) , or
If you want to use the high-resolution FLAC flies, that's they way I'd go.

OP
K

kaloogi

Hi All,

Many thanks for the constructive commentary and feedback.

Much appreciated !

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,
The usual starting point is that electronics don't make all that much difference and you get the biggest improvements by upgrading speakers - and by using room correction or EQ to adjust how your speakers interact with your room.

Your speakers are ok, and you can't upgrade them with your budget. Erin reviewed them https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/klipsch_rp_500m_i/
It looks like EQ would give you the best improvements, your speakers could use a little tweaking. Don't worry about 'hi-res' for now anyway, you can't hear the difference anyway :)

My thought ... try a WiiM Pro Plus (great streamer, very good DAC and basic but really useful PEQ) and use your HK as a power amp.
WiiM Amp isn't a bad idea either, completely replacing the HK and giving you rudimentary Sub control.

That's a pretty good foundation for any future changes

Top Bottom