• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Help] Solving our Topping E30 DAC issue once and for all !

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So even if the Windows update was for free, we still wouldn't do it without being sure that our Topping DACs can get detected with ASIO4ALL. Is it really so difficult for ANY of the ASR members to perform that test ?... Because we'll just keep kindly asking, sorry.

Win 10 and a Topping D10

If that is of any help.

And here's a picture if this is of any help.

1607054482927.png

1607054793210.png

I have no idea what I had to do, if anything, to get to this point, since it was a long time ago.

raif71

Major Contributor
Because he probably has a lot of customizations and doesn't want to spend days getting it back to normal again...
Of course if asio4all and e30 do work in win10 then I'm sure he will be more than happy to spend days to upgrade to win10 and getting it back to normal again, right?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course if asio4all and e30 do work in win10 then I'm sure he will be more than happy to spend days to upgrade to win10 and getting it back to normal again, right?

If he knew it would actually solve his problem, then why not? It seems pretty important to him. While he still doesn't know, it's potentially a huge waste of time.

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks to all of you for your replies ! This is becoming interesting. :D

Yes, @maverickronin got my point. I'd be happy to spend a lot of time (on an old PC, let's not forget that part) if I was certain of the result. Plus it's not even my laptop, it's my GF's, and she's currently writing a professional thesis on it. So it's not that I can't have it for some hours or even a day. It's that I can't risk that something goes wrong at some point (even if it's unlikely) that would affect her work afterwards (i.e. Office not working, Internet not working, etc.). I'll be talking with her in the next few days and we'll see if we can find a solution.

@RayDunzl , your message is really helpful ! :D It proves that somehow on Windows 10, A4A can actually detect Topping DACs (at least a D10, but it should be the same with a E30). That would definitely solve my problem. So unless A4A developer answers my emails, maybe upgrading to Win 10 is the next best solution. We'll see. :)

This inherently doesn't work without the syncing between the two dacs. The XMOS interface is asynchronous. You can force it to work for a while and maybe you are lucky the oscillators are closely matched then you may not see issues. But this should require a real multichannel dac with dsp.
Thanks for chiming in John :) The sync issue has been talked several times already :
  1. The two headphones are independent (it's two people listening to the same music at the same time). So if one headphone happened to be slightly our of sync vs. the other, nobody would ever notice unless that drift became close to a second or so, which is unlikely.
  2. Pressing "stop" in the player stops the audio feed and resets audio drift to 0, right ? So simply pressing "stop" after each song would do the trick. ;)
  3. What would be the audio drift for a single typical song ? I have no precise data, but somebody on ASR suggested that average audio drift between two DACs could be close to 2 samples per second (maybe you have more accurate data). That means 480 samples for a typical 4-minute song. It's smaller than most audio buffers (A4A buffer is 1024 samples, foobar2000 buffer can be as big as the whole song).
  4. Even if the audio delay became bigger than A4A buffer, what would happen exactly in worst case scenario ? An occasional audio glitch ? That would be a really small price to pay IMHO.
Let me know if I'm wrong of course :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Yes, @maverickronin got my point. I'd be happy to spend a lot of time (on an old PC, let's not forget that part) if I was certain of the result. Plus it's not even my laptop, it's my GF's, and she's currently writing a professional thesis on it. So it's not that I can't have it for some hours or even a day. It's that I can't risk that something goes wrong at some point (even if it's unlikely) that would affect her work afterwards (i.e. Office not working, Internet not working, etc.). I'll be talking with her in the next few days and we'll see if we can find a solution.

I'd wait.

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Small update : on another laptop (Win 7), I installed ASIO4ALL and connected a Topping DAC. ASIO4ALL doesn't see it either. Probably because Windows can't even activate it (as seen on the Device Manager : "code 10 - couldn't activate the device" - exact same problem as in Win 8.1).

So, don't ask me why, but it seems that (at least according to my own tests) :
  • Only Windows 10 USB driver can activate Topping DACs (without their own driver),
  • Only on Windows 10 can ASIO4ALL detect Topping DACs (according to RayDunzi, the only one who has reported something).
  • In previous Windows versions, with or without Topping drivers, ASIO4ALL can't see Topping DACs.
I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

threni

Major Contributor

threni

Major Contributor
Thanks for the heads-up... did you change your avatar? Previously was some rabbit, right?

Yes, it was not really very visible though.

threni

Major Contributor
That's CentOS 8 though - 7 is still supported until 2024 which should be plenty of time to let the dust settle and see how the alternatives to 8 come out. Unless you think RH/IBM are going to change the EOL on 7 too...

I doubt it; it should continue to get maintenance updates until then.

Rock Rabbit

20201214_092122.jpg

It works on Win10 and foobar2k but it default to internal DAC, select external DAC on ASIO4ALL, in foo2k change to another driver (Topping driver), revert to ASIO4ALL and now it takes the correct output
Saludos

Atanasi

Forum Donor
JACK Audio
I tried Jack on Windows a few times, and it didn't work reliably. Maybe I had a buggy version. In principle Jack supports combining audio devices and has an ASIO bridge. Clock drift is corrected with resampling (linear by default, sinc is the best).

Last edited:

Rock Rabbit

Win10: ASIO4ALL works only on single USB DAC at a time, works on foobar2k but not on AIMP

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Win10: ASIO4ALL works only on single USB DAC at a time, works on foobar2k but not on AIMP
Hi everybody :)

Well, I think it is time to close this thread properly, and I have some exciting revelations to make. So here we go !

Enjoy ! ;)

Top Bottom