• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 19.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 364 76.3%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
Between 48V/10A and 2*48V/5A Power Supply, which one should I get?
I wouldn't overlook this if I was about to choose:

Cal_Cobra

I couldn’t help myself and added 2x V3M and the SP601 speakers to my previous pledge for 3xV3M.

I have a 5.1 setup with a Marantz S6012 as receiver. My speaker setup is as follows:
- Fronts: Monitor Audio GS10 (relatively modest speakers)
- Center: Monitor Audio GSLCR
- Surrounds: the idea is to put the SP601 as surrounds.

Now, with 5 V3 Mono’s to play with, should I go for:
A. Each speaker its own amp
B. Bi-amp the fronts, and drive the surrounds with the S6012’s internal amp?

Of course I’ll experiment, but happy to hear your thoughts on this
I contemplated upgrading my package to their SP601 speaker/amp package, but I haven't been able to find anything on them aside from a factory youtube video. Were you able to get any additional details on them?

Cal_Cobra

What do you guys think about setting these amp upside down with some taller adhesive feet and applying these heatsink over the chip? Also considering applying new thermal compound to the chip itself. @Fosi Audio, any thoughts?
Might be worth applying something like Arctic Silver. It's used for CPUs and claims to have superior temp reduction capabilities than generic heatsink grease.

Cal_Cobra

My thoughts exactly.I have an unopened tube sitting at home.
I used it exclusively when I was in my PC build days, even on GPU chips. It's shocking how terrible of a job most factory thermal grease applications are. Redoing it with Arctic Silver is cheap insurance, and it's application has always returned measurable improvements in my experience (easy to measure on a PC CPU/GPU).

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd happily pay the extra cost for the slightly bigger enclosure.
I am guessing that since those power supplies are like a standard item for computers (I think??) integrating into a fairly larger enclosure might increase the cost more than we might think offhand. I'd be interested in @Fosi Audio's comments about that.

Fosi Audio Mono V3 amplifier power Reactive Voltage measurement.png
@amirm this should be titled "...dbW" at the top?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'll believe it's Vrms but unless I'm going blind it doesn't actually say that, like the one right below which says "(Watts)." ?!?
Correct. It's a graph with an unlabeled y-axis, which nonetheless shows Vrms.

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I am guessing that since those power supplies are like a standard item for computers (I think??) integrating into a fairly larger enclosure might increase the cost more than we might think offhand. I'd be interested in @Fosi Audio's comments about that.

@amirm this should be titled "...dbW" at the top?
For our V3 series, we will maintain the compact chassis design, but for other series, such as the ZA series, we will use larger enclosures.:)

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sorry, May 1st to 5th are holidays here, so we were unable to respond promptly to your inquiries. Our R&D colleague on duty today sent the test result for the 48V/10A power supply, indicating that it can operate stably at 10A.

Additionally, our supplier Huntkey will provide us with the relevant test report for this power supply after they resume work tomorrow, and we will post update then.

View attachment 367686
This is a follow-up on the 48V/10A power supply. Our supplier Huntkey has provided us with a test report for this power supply, along with a video of the actual test, which you can review below. This power supply can indeed operate stably at a 10A current.:cool:

Noise & ripple test also included. @SMen

1715223734093.png
1715223798316.png
1715223871499.png
1715223999367.png

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

jvdburgt

I contemplated upgrading my package to their SP601 speaker/amp package, but I haven't been able to find anything on them aside from a factory youtube video. Were you able to get any additional details on them?
Nope, not yet, so it’s a bit a jump in the dark.

However, on their KS page they stated more details will be released next week.

MCH

Major Contributor

fredreadrick

My thoughts exactly.I have an unopened tube sitting at home.
But V3 is not like cpu that heatsink drops directly on top. Just like ZA3 that needs to slide to put in place. Thus rubbing the thermal paste and not maximizing it's heat desipitating quality.

Lednek

But V3 is not like cpu that heatsink drops directly on top. Just like ZA3 that needs to slide to put in place. Thus rubbing the thermal paste and not maximizing it's heat desipitating quality.
I have seen a video with disassembly (Williston Audio Labs. You can see the thermal compound they used on the heat sink. It looks like there is enough clearance between the heatsink and enclosure. The appropriate contact is created when the two screws on the bottom of the case are tightened into the heatsink.

SMen

This is a follow-up on the 48V/10A power supply. Our supplier Huntkey has provided us with a test report for this power supply, along with a video of the actual test, which you can review below. This power supply can indeed operate stably at a 10A current.:cool:

Noise & ripple test also included. @SMen

View attachment 368520View attachment 368521View attachment 368522View attachment 368523

So that is interesting, thank you @Fosi Audio . It looks like noise @240Vac is much lower than spec. Excellent.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently it is?
No, it isn’t. The post I was responding to posited that biwiring speaker drivers using only the amp in a receiver would result in each driver performing more efficiently because it has a “dedicated source” (in this case, it’s not a separate source but instead a separate wire). However, that is not true. Take a basic Physics course to learn why.

Last edited:
Top Bottom