• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 97 20.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 371 76.3%

• Total voters

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
But V3 is not like cpu that heatsink drops directly on top. Just like ZA3 that needs to slide to put in place. Thus rubbing the thermal paste and not maximizing it's heat desipitating quality.
The place for Arctic Silver would be between the chip and the heat spreader block as the heat transfer is over a small area. The much larger area between the heat spreader and the case is less critical, and the rubbing removing the thermal paste is probably helps in avoiding there being too thick a layer of paste.

Lee T

I've just noticed that Zeos of Zreviews posted the following 6 days ago.
"I have an issue with one [of my V3 Monos] right now. Need to see if its the amp or the Opamps I put inside."
Reply to @andrewdoan1525 which is the 4th most recent comment at time of me posting this
I thought it was worth noting as along with Erin managing to smoke one, that might be 2 dead reviewer amps in just a few weeks out of about 10 reviews (20 amps) I'm aware of.

Sputnik

"I have an issue with one [of my V3 Monos] right now. Need to see if its the amp or the Opamps I put inside."
Reply to @andrewdoan1525 which is the 4th most recent comment at time of me posting this
I thought it was worth noting as along with Erin managing to smoke one, that might be 2 dead reviewer amps in just a few weeks out of about 10 reviews (20 amps) I'm aware of.
Erin tortured that poor little amp to death, and Z has been poking around in it with his greasy sausage fingers.

If another reviewer smashes 2 more units with a hammer, you're gonna tell us '4 out of 20 died'?

quocheiser

Do you have a timestamp for when he says that?

Lee T

Erin tortured that poor little amp to death, and Z has been poking around in it with his greasy sausage fingers.

If another reviewer smashes 2 more units with a hammer, you're gonna tell us '4 out of 20 died'?
I'm inclined to agree that there's not much so far to indicate fault with the amps themselves. I don't know how far or reasonably Erin tried to stress the amps or how ham-fisted Zeos was or whether the issue isn't with the op-amps.

I'm more raising this as a sort of "note and move on" thing. I'd be interested to know more about Erin's test and what Zeos concludes. I think it is worth being aware of these examples in case a pattern emerges. I'm not expecting it will.

Do you have a timestamp for when he says that?
He said it in a comment after the video was put up, not in the video itself.

quocheiser

I'm inclined to agree that there's not much so far to indicate fault with the amps themselves. I don't know how far or reasonably Erin tried to stress the amps or how ham-fisted Zeos was or whether the issue isn't with the op-amps.

I'm more raising this as a sort of "note and move on" thing. I'd be interested to know more about Erin's test and what Zeos concludes. I think it is worth being aware of these examples in case a pattern emerges. I'm not expecting it will.

He said it in a comment after the video was put up, not in the video itself.
Gotcha.
Yeah from what I could gather from all the available reviews, the V3Ms get a bit warmer than their other models.
Looking forward to Fosi's reply to Zeos on the issue.

EddNog

Honestly, bro-dawg probably just yoinked an op-amp (swap). It's not hard to do, even with an IC extractor.

-Ed

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Gotcha.
Yeah from what I could gather from all the available reviews, the V3Ms get a bit warmer than their other models.

"a bit warmer" - my both the units have broken this barrier already, but I use in totally ventilated position for complete air flow it might need.

Guddu

Can you explain this more?
I just meant mine are running more than warmer (more like a bit hot) as so much that I do want to put them in proper ventilated place.
Can this be an issue- I don’t know but probably not. (*** My AVRs have been running hot but still work even after 2 years ***).

But they, Fosi v3 mono, do their job very well that running a bit hot doesn’t bother me much, but doesn’t mean it won’t others.
While saying warm or a bit hot are subjective, a quick comparison for me is Fosi ZA3 which runs just warm in comparison.

quocheiser

I just meant mine are running more than warmer (more like a bit hot) as so much that I do want to put them in proper ventilated place.
Can this be an issue- I don’t know but probably not. (*** My AVRs have been running hot but still work even after 2 years ***).

But they, Fosi v3 mono, do their job very well that running a bit hot doesn’t bother me much, but doesn’t mean it won’t others.
While saying warm or a bit hot are subjective, a quick comparison for me is Fosi ZA3 which runs just warm in comparison.
That's great insight to have!
My ZA3 runs as warm/hot as I would like tbh... hmmmm...
Hopefully the V3M's heat is just the chassis doing its job as a heatsink...

Guddu

Anyone know the model # for the Fosi 48V 10A power supply?
Note some photos show the HuntKey HKA30048063-7D, which is actually a 48V 6.3A.
I have close pictures of the unit as well as PSU here:

(The Kickstarter page is not showing the model number... there is some chance they will change or tweak the power supply before shipping)
It is not uncommon.

Last edited:

tjd

Cause of amp death: Greasy sausage fingers.

johnmartmill

The place for Arctic Silver would be between the chip and the heat spreader block as the heat transfer is over a small area. The much larger area between the heat spreader and the case is less critical, and the rubbing removing the thermal paste is probably helps in avoiding there being too thick a layer of paste.
Given how cheap these amps are, how quick the tech is improving, the time/cost associated with the aftermarket thermal paste, the potential to messing up the unit and the likelihood of never needing it, why would anyone go down this path?

Reactions: MCH

Lednek

This is a follow-up on the 48V/10A power supply. Our supplier Huntkey has provided us with a test report for this power supply, along with a video of the actual test, which you can review below. This power supply can indeed operate stably at a 10A current.:cool:

Noise & ripple test also included. @SMen

View attachment 368520View attachment 368521View attachment 368522View attachment 368523

Thank you! @Fosi Audio. Could you please post the same information for the 5A power supply? I'm interested to see if the ripple spec is equally good. Impressive!

Cal_Cobra

Given how cheap these amps are, how quick the tech is improving, the time/cost associated with the aftermarket thermal paste, the potential to messing up the unit and the likelihood of never needing it, why would anyone go down this path?
Probably a five minute job that provides cheap insurance if one is concerned about the thermal dynamics of the V3 mono, if not, party on.

redstang

Considering one of the "rewards" to kickstarters is an op amp chip, many of us might be "poking" around in it with our sausage fingers, so the anecdote about Z is noteworthy. Not at all a serious concern, unless quite a few others mention the same issue.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Might be worth applying something like Arctic Silver. It's used for CPUs and claims to have superior temp reduction capabilities than generic heatsink grease.
No, do not use Arctic Silver. It is outdated, has a short working life and is conductive. Use MX-4 or MX-6 which guarantees a 8 year working life, lower thermal resistance than Arctic Silver and it is not conductive.

EDIT: Arctic Silver Ceramique is very outdated and is not conductive but has a short life and not very good thermal conductivity.

Last edited:

Lee T

Well, I've got the best part of a 14g tube of Noctua paste so I'll be using that if I take the Zeos punt and swap my op-amps.

Earlier today I was looking at small heatsinks I could use instead of the supplied rubber feet. I figured getting more air circulation under the amps and more effective case surface area can only help. Would 5mm slab of metal sheet sat on top of the amps help too?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is good stuff although it does not have the 8 year guarantee rating. I have used Noctua in a pinch and it performed very well for a PC overclock.
Earlier today I was looking at small heatsinks I could use instead of the supplied rubber feet. I figured getting more air circulation under the amps and more effective case surface area can only help. Would 5mm slab of metal sheet sat on top of the amps help too?
Replacing the rubber feet with small heatsinks seems a futile effort to me. Placing a metal sheet across the top will reflect the heat back and will stop air flow that is cooling the case and interior of the amp. If you want to cool it very effectively make sure nothing is on top of the unit and there is free air flow all around the amp. If you want even better cooling then get a small fan and have it blow over, under or across the amp.

Top Bottom