• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 19.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 364 76.3%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn’t help myself and added 2x V3M and the SP601 speakers to my previous pledge for 3xV3M.

I have a 5.1 setup with a Marantz S6012 as receiver. My speaker setup is as follows:
- Fronts: Monitor Audio GS10 (relatively modest speakers)
- Center: Monitor Audio GSLCR
- Surrounds: the idea is to put the SP601 as surrounds.

Now, with 5 V3 Mono’s to play with, should I go for:
A. Each speaker its own amp
B. Bi-amp the fronts, and drive the surrounds with the S6012’s internal amp?

Of course I’ll experiment, but happy to hear your thoughts on this
A.

Bi-amping is a waste of money, both on amplification, and on cable. There are no audible benefits to be had, unless you are removing the crossovers from the speakers, and going fully active with digital crossovers upstream of the amps.

SMen

My humble opinion is to run these with lower voltage to be safe and have peace of mind,somewhere in the 35-40V region and no more.
Unpopular opinion,I know but I have learn to respect limits and a little extra that this.

(note that the above charts shows power at 10% THD which is ridiculous,no one will push the amp to such a limit,even if the chip allowed to do so)
I think you might be right on this - especially with 8 ohm speakers. I think that I am right that 8ohm speakers favour amps as a priority? I might be wrong.
I'm using another 3255 happily with 36v. I'm going to do a comparison with matched gain to see when the v3 monos arrive, and see if I detect any difference at up to 14 khz ... my limit I am pretty sure at 57! ...

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you might be right on this - especially with 8 ohm speakers. I think that I am right that 8ohm speakers favour amps as a priority? I might be wrong.
I'm using another 3255 happily with 36v. I'm going to do a comparison with matched gain to see when the v3 monos arrive, and see if I detect any difference at up to 14 khz ... my limit I am pretty sure at 57! ...
higher Ohm need higher voltage because theres more resistance.

you can see that in amirs review on page1 too.

most amps struggle with lower Ohm because you need to push more current to achieve the same power which means more heat

quocheiser

A.

Bi-amping is a waste of money, both on amplification, and on cable. There are no audible benefits to be had, unless you are removing the crossovers from the speakers, and going fully active with digital crossovers upstream of the amps.
The value of time and money is in the ear of the beholder.
Feel free to listen to this video where the poster (ironically) can't hear a difference.
Despite the poor room acoustics and recording quality, to my ears and on my modest listening setup the bi-amping off the same AV receiver (rather than via separate monoblocs etc) is better. There is more depth, separation and weight to the different layers in the music which I'm sure would show up via a FR graph.
In saying that, I'd say most people (80-90%) won't hear the difference or enough of one.
Furthermore, synergy between the different parts of the audio chain will have a big say on the end result.
FWIW I'm definitely planning on a bi-amped system if/when I upgrade my speakers and would happily share measurements of the results when that happens.

Lednek

What do you guys think about setting these amp upside down with some taller adhesive feet and applying these heatsink over the chip? Also considering applying new thermal compound to the chip itself. @Fosi Audio, any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240506_135953_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240506_135953_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 18

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say most people (80-90%) won't hear the difference or enough of one.
I'm saying there is nothing to be heard in the sound waves reaching your ears. If you are hearing what you are saying you are, it is most likely happening in the wetware between them.

There is no physical way for an audible difference to happen - unless in the single amped case, the relatively small amount of power going to the tweeter is pushing the amp over the edge of its power capacity. This seems to me to be a fairly unlikely edge case, and can be solved by using an appropriately rated amp.

Last edited:

quocheiser

I couldn’t help myself and added 2x V3M and the SP601 speakers to my previous pledge for 3xV3M.

I have a 5.1 setup with a Marantz S6012 as receiver. My speaker setup is as follows:
- Fronts: Monitor Audio GS10 (relatively modest speakers)
- Center: Monitor Audio GSLCR
- Surrounds: the idea is to put the SP601 as surrounds.

Now, with 5 V3 Mono’s to play with, should I go for:
A. Each speaker its own amp
B. Bi-amp the fronts, and drive the surrounds with the S6012’s internal amp?

Of course I’ll experiment, but happy to hear your thoughts on this
If you wanna be a real G then bi-amp the fronts, and give all other speakers their own amp

quocheiser

I'm saying there is nothing to be heard in the sound waves reaching your ears. If you are hearing what you are saying you are, it is most likely happening in the wetware between them.

There is no physical way for an audible difference to happen - unless in the single amped case, the relatively small amount of power going to the tweeter is pushing the amp over the edge of its power capacity. This seems to me to be a fairly unlikely edge case, and can be solved by using an appropriately rated amp.
I hear you, and even if that is the general consensus on ASR, I respectfully disagree on the first point. Maybe when I'm in my 50s I won't hear a damn difference but for now, I will enjoy the last slivers of my hearing.

On your 2nd point, yeah I personally don't fully understand how it actually works as I am no acoustician/physicist/EE etc. but in my experience, having extra reserves of power often improves dynamics. In the above video, that's not even a proper bi-amping setup (it's somewhere between bi-wiring and bi-amping) as they are using just one (1) AV receiver(!) and yet hey it works. My best guess is that the power demands of each driver are easier to serve with a dedicated channel of power if the speaker's crossover is designed well.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Lednek

8ohm speakers need voltage, low impedance speakers, amperes.

Rafaille

The value of time and money is in the ear of the beholder.
Feel free to listen to this video where the poster (ironically) can't hear a difference.
Despite the poor room acoustics and recording quality, to my ears and on my modest listening setup the bi-amping off the same AV receiver (rather than via separate monoblocs etc) is better. There is more depth, separation and weight to the different layers in the music which I'm sure would show up via a FR graph.
In saying that, I'd say most people (80-90%) won't hear the difference or enough of one.
Furthermore, synergy between the different parts of the audio chain will have a big say on the end result.
FWIW I'm definitely planning on a bi-amped system if/when I upgrade my speakers and would happily share measurements of the results when that happens.
I would happily have a look at these measurements, good luck on your quest :)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Despite the poor room acoustics and recording quality, to my ears and on my modest listening setup the bi-amping off the same AV receiver (rather than via separate monoblocs etc) is better.
Are you using your receiver to power the tweeters (or woofers) and a separate power amp to power the woofers (or tweeters)? Just trying to figure out exactly what you mean by the words “off the same receiver.”

quocheiser

Are you using your receiver to power the tweeters (or woofers) and a separate power amp to power the woofers (or tweeters)? Just trying to figure out exactly what you mean by the words “off the same receiver.”
In that video, they're using one AV receiver and then using one speaker output per driver.
I honestly thought it was a pointless idea until I listened to it.
I mean, if there is more power reaching each driver, especially from an underpowered AV receiver, it can't be too hard to imagine that an improvement might be had, surely?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe not about power but is there not always a (tiny) bit of crosstalk between channels when powering up both tweeters and woofers off a single amp? (genuine open question)
No. When bi amping both amps still amplify all the frequencies, and deliver them as a power signal to the terminals of the speeker. So the terminals of the speaker see the exactly the same regardless of whether it is delivered by one amp, or two.

It is only in the crossover that the frequencies are separated - and it is here that any imperfections exist.

quocheiser

That’s not how electricity works, unfortunately.
Apparently it is?

quocheiser

No. When bi amping both amps still amplify all the frequencies, and deliver them as a power signal to the terminals of the speeker. So the terminals of the speaker see the exactly the same regardless of whether it is delivered by one amp, or two.

It is only in the crossover that the frequencies are separated - and it is here that any imperfections exist.
See previous post.
Even the OPs decline from making too many absolute statements.

Top Bottom