• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 19.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 366 76.4%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if there is more power reaching each driver,
But there isn't more power reaching each driver, unless the amp is being driven into clipping (the edge case I mentioned above). In which case the correct solution is to use an amp with enough power, rather than bi-amping.

In your case you already (will) have an amp with enough power. Don't waste them by using two per speaker.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
See previous post.
Even the OPs decline from making too many absolute statements.
Those are describing the case I mentioned above - where you remove the speaker crossover, and implement an active crossover filter UPSTREAM of the amps (between source and amp)

You are not proposing to do that.

Here is what the article YOU linked to (I suggest you try reading it) says about the passive bi - amping you are proposing...

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 23.00.05.png

quocheiser

But there isn't more power reaching each driver, unless the amp is being driven into clipping (the edge case I mentioned above). In which case the correct solution is to use an amp with enough power, rather than bi-amping.

In your case you already (will) have an amp with enough power. Don't waste them by using two per speaker.
That usually costs more (which is an important point).
These Fosi V3 Monos are affordable and the user can be as modular with how they build their system as they like.
So easy to get more power with two of these miniblocks on their own power supplies rather than one larger amp
Pretty cool option tbf.

quocheiser

Those are describing the case I mentioned above - where you remove the speaker crossover, and implement an active crossover filter UPSTREAM of the amps (between source and amp)

That's the most optimal solution, but again costs more.
But yeah would be cool to do that with these V3Ms.
Not sure if I'll personally go down that road though, purely based on cost and space factors.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So easy to get more power with two of these miniblocks on their own power supplies rather than one larger amp
Pretty cool option tbf
Read the passive bi amping section of the article you linked to. It explains why you won't even get more power.

And with that, I'm going to stop playing whack a mole with this discussion, and bow out.

quocheiser

Read the passive bi amping section of the article you linked to. It explains why you won't even get more power.

And with that, I'm going to stop playing whack a mole with this discussion, and bow out.

Here is what the article YOU linked to (I suggest you try reading it) says about the passive bi - amping you are proposing...

View attachment 368028
Cherry picking a little there, I'll refrain from doing that myself.
The OP tempers their statements really well on the last page, as do many of the commenters.
Don't forget to enjoy the hobby ;).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cherry picking a little there, I'll refrain from doing that myself.
The OP tempers their statements really well on the last page, as do many of the commenters.
Don't forget to enjoy the hobby ;).
I'm loving it.

I love it even more because I know I don't have to jump through a million and one hoops to generate top notch sound quality. This place is great for that. ;)

Rafaille

View attachment 368028
Or you go with a proper analog cross over in the speaker and feed channels with separate amps, hence my question about amount of existing crosstalk when only using one amp.
I actually read too fast I thought that is what @quocheiser had in mind.
Although I agree doing this upstream and in the digital realm (+ some DSP) is preferable and offer more control.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or you go with a proper analog cross over in the speaker and feed channels with separate amps, hence my question about amount of existing crosstalk when only using one amp.
I answered that above. Passive bi-amping doesn't change the frequencies in the amp. Both amps still amplify the full frequency band ( eg 20Hz to 20KHz), and deliver the complete frequency band to the speaker terminals. Separation is done in the crossover in the speaker, and that doesn't change whether you are bi-amping or not.

Rafaille

I answered that above. Passive bi-amping doesn't change the frequencies in the amp. Both amps still amplify the full frequency band ( eg 20Hz to 20KHz), and deliver the complete frequency band to the speaker terminals. Separation is done in the crossover in the speaker, and that doesn't change whether you are bi-amping or not.
True, fair enough I got confused re bi-amping (past midnight in the UK). Anyway let him have his quest, I am going the DSP and separate amps way for my part anyway.
Let us call it a day and get back to Fosi V3 mono.

jdg78

For the umpteenth time, I hereby testify that my two four year old A07s are still performing flawlessly after spending most of those years powered up 24/7 on 48VDC, despite their obviously deficient thermal design and 50V-rated Nichicon filter caps. Real world music listening is a far cry from rigorous bench testing with steady input from a signal generator, and in my particular use case (or others like it) even less-than-optimal little "chip amps" like my now-elderly A07s are likely to thrive long-term.
Same here. I've had a pair of these little A07's powering the front and rear channels of my HT setup going on close to 3 years now. I keep them powered on 24/7 and have had absolutely no issues at all during this time. They power my speakers as loud as I could possibly want in my medium size living room, delivering clean, punchy and transparent sound with absolutely no background noise or audible distortion. Dollar for dollar (I think I got them on sale for like $65 each?), I can't think of any better value in all my years of hi-fi.

If I were going to do it again today, I would probably get a bunch of these V3 monos if only because of the power standby mode, and because I don't really need a volume knob as I'm using these as pure power amps. But even then, I doubt they would sound noticeably better than what I currently have.

Overseas

Major Contributor
'Transparent sound' - what would that be in the absence of measurements? Can you tell by ear which one of 10 amps is 'transparent' or how does this work?

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
What do you guys think about setting these amp upside down with some taller adhesive feet and applying these heatsink over the chip? Also considering applying new thermal compound to the chip itself. @Fosi Audio, any thoughts?
Yes, we have consistently been exploring ways to incorporate more effective cooling designs and technologies into our amplifiers, such as AirJet and micro fans.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
'Transparent sound' - what would that be in the absence of measurements? Can you tell by ear which one of 10 amps is 'transparent' or how does this work?
Most likely confirmation bias is involved in such opinions. I just "upgraded" my old A07s by giving them each their own 48V 10A SMPS, and my impression has been that the system sounds a little better -- but, knowing that such offhand observations have a huge psychological component, I'd never make a public assertion of any actual improvement.

jdg78

I mean it sounds clear and free from any obvious distortion or coloration to my ears. It’s a descriptive term, not a scientific claim.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I mean it sounds clear and free from any obvious distortion or coloration to my ears. It’s a descriptive term, not a scientific claim.
From transparence to distorsion and coloration... Not contesting your statement, just want to understand how you can experience that by ears only. I guess even bad amplifiers do not distort in the first 1,2,3 watts.

Reactions: ovi

nitpicker1

most amps struggle with lower Ohm because you need to push more current to achieve the same power which means more heat

Not even remotely correct.

Volts staying the same (volume level) divided on lower resistance = more current flowing freely. This inherently increases watts (I*V) per volume level. Which is why you'll see on any amp, that driving lower impedance speakers will offer more watts, as long as the amp can deal with the increased current flow. Better the components and conductors = the less heat.

It becomes more correct the other way around, needing more volts to reach same watts with higher impedance. Higher volt than current in a watts relationship will always run cooler because there's less current flow/ampere draw.

ninetylol

Volts staying the same (volume level) divided on lower resistance = more current flowing freely. This inherently increases watts (I*V) per volume level. Which is why you'll see on any amp, that driving lower impedance speakers will offer more watts, as long as the amp can deal with the increased current flow. Better the components and conductors = the less heat.

It becomes more correct the other way around, needing more volts to reach same watts with higher impedance. Higher volt than current in a watts relationship will always run cooler because there's less current flow/ampere draw.
Thats more correct true, @antcollinet described it pretty good in another Post too

What I wanted to say is that on a higher ohm speaker you need a bigger voltage supply to gain more max power, while on a lower ohm speaker you are most likely current limited first and wont gain much from going Let's say 40v5a to 48v5a

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor

I've never felt more vindicated in my decision to run my old A07s on 48VDC -- that makes total sense and lines up nicely with actual measurements. I'm smiling because those little things are driving 8 ohm speakers, making the higher voltage an advantage.

Top Bottom