• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electronics You Would Buy Just for the Looks

Ken Newton

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I've never seen a piece of audio equipment that has compelled me enough to buy based on looks. If one did, an amp that looks like an inline 6 or flat 6 engine would be pretty cool. In my single days I would have liked at least a coffee table of the former.

I have, if only I could have afforded them at the time I would have bought them. One is, the the four tower Infinity IRS speaker system, still probably the most awesome looking speaker system I've even seen. Another is, most any of the B&O gear from the 70's and 80's. I still drool over the look of their Beolab 9000 CD changer, as antiquated as it now is.

Of course, I learned long ago that looks tell you little to nothing about the sound. Never buy audio gear based on looks, reviews or brand name alone. But, oh, the audio dreams back then!

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
D

Deleted member 65

Isn't Sweden going all DAB soon?

I thought an old tuner would be obsolete in the very near future.

No, latest government proposal presented a few months ago is that we'll keep FM, we do have some DAB2.

D

Deleted member 65

This combination I bought solely for the looks mid 70's. Miss it sometimes.

Ampzilla____-F-001-921-GAS.jpg

GAS-Thaedra-38184.JPG

P1020040.jpg.html

Ken Newton

Impressive!

But I have no desire to own such colossi in my own home.

I'd rather spend that much money on travel + music; I still haven't been to the Bayreuth Ring Cycle.

Watchnerd,

I suspect that you may have missed the point of the original question. I don't think that it was about what was a good purchase value. I think it was about what components were so visually appealing or arresting that their looks seriously competed with obtaining an informed consideration of their actual sound (kind of like not giving much thought to what sort of personality a beautiful woman might have when you first meet simply because you're entranced. :) ) To me, we're talking industrial design works of art here. Of course, beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I think that those admittedly colossal IRS speakers are beautiful in their imposing stature. I used to think; they look so badass that they simply must sound badass too. :D

Last edited:

Intamin

Pretty much anything from Esoteric, but to be specific, the grandioso stack.
g_photo04.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I used to think; they look so badass that they simply must sound badass too.
That's a case where expectation bias can work in a good way. ;)
This combination I bought solely for the looks mid 70's. Miss it sometimes.
Well timed flashback along with the recent coverage of Bob Carver . James Bongiorno was on the same path and attracting the same customer base as Bob.

D

Deleted member 65

That's a case where expectation bias can work in a good way. ;)

Well timed flashback along with the recent coverage of Bob Carver . James Bongiorno was on the same path and attracting the same customer base as Bob.

Bongiorno seemed to be a really nice & colorful man, had his pickup at the time, bought just for the name - GAS Sleeping Beauty

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Ken Newton

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Paul McGowan recently restored a set and rebuilt the whole PS Audio listening room for them.
http://www.psaudio.com/forum/latest-ps-audio-news/the-infinity-irs-journey

I've always wanted to hear the IRS-V, which was advertised to cost $20,000 back around the late 70's to early 80's, as I recall. A King's ransom for an HiFi component at the time - today, there are multiple speaker systems priced at more than ten times that amount. I've only heard the IRS in my imagination. :)

In the real world, I've long been curious about the sound of the, so-called, 'poor man's IRS'. Where, mirror image pairs of the Eminent Technology LFT-8b ribbon hybrid towers are arranged side-by-side for each channel (photos of single pair, for scale, and then the quad tower poor man's IRS arrangement are above). While the LFT's aren't anywhere near as imposing as the IRS, they also are only a small fraction of the cost. Four LFT-8 towers presently cost only $5,000. Unfortunately, I've not had opportunity to hear this poor man's IRS either. Perhaps, someone reading this thread has heard it?

Last edited:

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The sound of some motors are special audio to me, and this should be loaded with enough electronics:
iridium.
samurai-motorcycle-concept.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've always wanted to hear the IRS-V
Yep, me too but never did. I did hear the little brother IRS betas a couple times at one of the downtown Chicago High End stores. We had Paul Heath and Victors basically across the street from each other an it was one of them. (I think, maybe it was Pro Musica);) Both very elitist stores for back in the day, damn near asked to run a credit check to let you in the front door. LOL I used to take the L or bus downtown every few months to get a boner ogling all the goodies. But for the 70s-80s they did have all that very top shelf gear you otherwise only read about in the underground HiFi journals.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom