• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 mono-blocks > Sell one and buy Bicycle?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
So, I've always been into fitness, but found myself being slack in regard to cardio in the winter months, as I hate getting cold. So picked up a spinner bike to eliminate my excuses this winter. Now it has me thinking of getting a road bike for the warmer months. I've thought about it often over the years, but I've had other money pits to play in, such as the audio one (though I feel content, now) and a big $$ one in auto racing. Now I'm looking down into the cycling rabbit hole and wondering about selling one of my AHB2s to offset the cost of decent bike & accessories.

The AHB2s are powering a pair of Revel F328be, in a medium sized room, and I really don't need the additional power of the bridged pair in this room; but at the time of purchase there was talk of moving, which might have offered a larger room. My future is not set (whose is), so that could still happen. Anyway, looking at Amir's latest testing of the AHB2 and the impedance curve for the Revel, has me wondering about the value of running mono-blocks. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-f328be-speaker-review.17443/

Cycling is not a given for me though, as I've got to consider the risk involved, as drivers in the US have an inability to put down cell phones, often lack the intelligence to operate a vehicle and occasionally seem to have animosity towards cyclist. Next, I have to consider the amount of time I'll have to ride, which would be primarily the weekends and occasional 1-hr evening sessions. Also, the auto racing & HPDE events and the required high maintenance on the car, would cut into those weekends. Although, the auto racing maybe coming to an end... I didn't get out at all last year, event costs are climbing too much and few of my paddock pals have dropped out due to health & interest reasons. I'm just not sure I could fully give it up though, as I love pushing myself and the car. The whole process is such a mental challenge. Cycling could provide me a little bit of that, but I'm too old and short to be a competitive cyclist. And too poor to be a competitive amateur auto racer :(.

Any thoughts and/or advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
Love my race bike. Power meter , HR monitor the whole shebang. …

At 50 plus it is a great way to keep cardio up with less strain on bones and joints. Sure being run over is not advancing your health either regardless of fitness. In that respect I am lucky that I can go for ca 120km without crossing any car traffic.

Come to think. Deadlifting your AHB also promotes fitness. Best of both worlds

Fred H

Forum Donor
The mind of racer always seeking perfection is always at working within me, so I think in terms of turning laps even for exercise

Yes, a good alternative to bikers who hate cold (like I used to be) is rowing.

Most rowing machines have accurate measurements of what you are doing. The most common one (Concept II) even has national and international competitions. These might push your perfection button, even if you just compete with your previous performances -- as I do. It's the first thing I've found that makes me feel as good as running, which I can no longer do.

jools

Forum Donor
Monoblocks never appealed, but bikes I have a problem with :). I haven't ridden a road bike in a coupla years, prefer mountain biking, lots safer than sharing a road with distracted drivers (plus we have killer singletrack mountain biking and thousands of miles of gravel roads, little pavement outside of the main highway which is one of the most dangerous in the state for drivers let alone bikes). I don't like selling gear either, tho, so I'd probably figure a way to just add a bike. Not a bad time to acquire a bike, tho....the industry is kinda hurting.
I don't want to tempt fate but I ride mostly on road and, so far, my only serious injury was mountain biking - busted hip and damage to diaphragm which lead to Barrett's, emphesyma and, possibly, a heart condition. But at least I did all that to myself and don't have to be resentful to anyone else like I would if a car was involved.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Coming from the other direction I drive a pair of Revel F328Be with a single AHB2 and have on occasion toyed with the idea of getting another and running them as mono-blocks. Unfortunately I could never come up with a practical, justifiable excuse to do so.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't want to tempt fate but I ride mostly on road and, so far, my only serious injury was mountain biking - busted hip and damage to diaphragm which lead to Barrett's, emphesyma and, possibly, a heart condition. But at least I did all that to myself and don't have to be resentful to anyone else like I would if a car was involved.
Wow. I've had a few good crashes both on road and offroad, but only bruised ribs and a cracked clavicle in the worst one....and it was always just something stupid I'd done to cause it so I don't have anyone to resent either. A few weeks ago I slid on some black ice (that I know is often there during those weather conditions but had my mind on other things) on my e-moto and my shoulder is now sorer....might have to go see what I may have done if it persists.....I prefer at my age not to crash now at all, tho. I used to battle the streets of San Francisco, tho.....

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Na. Go all in. 14k plus.

Or BMC or Pinarello or Colnago
I was looking at a Tarmac, but not the S-Works o_O. Think I'd top out at the Ultegra or maybe 105 component level. Lot to learn here. Pretty sure I'm going to schedule some time with a bike fitter, get my specs and narrow the field of bikes that will fit me best. Then I'll cry about costs.. lol

Re: AHB2, I did try it in stereo mode playing the intro to Dune at a rather loud volume. It never clipped. However, it did seem the mono config. had a bit better bass. Now, that was purely subjective and I suspect the volume was not accurately matched by ear. I know there is a decibel boost when running them bridged, but don't know how many clicks of the LA4 I need to make to make them equal... Any idea?

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I know there is a decibel boost when running them bridged, but don't know how many clicks of the LA4 I need to make to make them equal... Any idea?
6dB

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Wow. I've had a few good crashes both on road and offroad, but only bruised ribs and a cracked clavicle in the worst one....and it was always just something stupid I'd done to cause it so I don't have anyone to resent either. A few weeks ago I slid on some black ice (that I know is often there during those weather conditions but had my mind on other things) on my e-moto and my shoulder is now sorer....might have to go see what I may have done if it persists.....I prefer at my age not to crash now at all, tho. I used to battle the streets of San Francisco, tho.....
Geez, I'm starting to feel safer in the race car. I've got the roll cage around me, safety gear, flaggers and usually no cross-traffic. But, we do worry about the big shunt and fire. The latter one is less of a concern on a bike.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I was looking a Tarmac, but not the S-Works o_O. Think I'd top out at the Ultegra level or maybe 105 component level. Lot to learn here. Pretty sure I'm going to schedule some time with a bike fitter, get my specs and narrow the field of bikes that will fit me best. Then I'll cry about costs.. lol

Re: AHB2, I did try it in stereo mode playing the intro to Dune at a rather loud volume. It never clipped. However, it did seem the mono config. had a bit better bass. Now, that was purely subjective and I suspect the volume was not accurately matched by ear. I know there is a decibel boost when running them bridged, but don't know how many clicks of the LA4 I need to make to make them equal... Any idea?
Yes Ultegra offers the best bang for the buck. Shifts great. The lesser weight and significantly more costs of the higher series doesn’t matter. Just skip the donut in the morning and you made up for the (weight) difference.

Aerowheels look nice (I have 60ies) but only start making a difference above 35 to 40kmh. Not many 50 plus can maintain the ca 250watts needed. But the coolness factor is priceless.

Bikefitter might be money well spent especially for saddle positioning (it suck’s if your best parts hurt or go numb). I experimented first with online ones (I liked the tinkering process) and I am happy now, but a pro would speed up the process. Often good dealers of the big brands provide good fits too as part of the bike sale. But you have to experiment.

Also consider if you really want to go for the integrated aero handle bars. Changing width or reach, especially in the beginning where you are still searching for the best position, becomes costly and you pretty much have to go to the dealer to change it (and hardly can do it yourself as you have to rerun all the internal brake and shifting cables which is a real PITA).

Watch the GCN YouTubes. Good advice there.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Geez, I'm starting to feel safer in the race car. I've got the roll cage around me, safety gear, flaggers and usually no cross-traffic. But, we do worry about the big shunt and fire. The latter one is less of a concern on a bike.
Sounds about right....depending how you drive I suppose :) Race car, cool. Had to look up shunt, yeah that could be a problem. If you start riding with some groups, a shunt could be possible even without a car's help. Getting a good fit on the bike is worth more than the gruppo being DuraAce :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Any thoughts and/or advice is appreciated.
You can get the same level of exercise from a $100 WalMart bike as a $10k racer.
Don't sell the AHB2 for a bike, save your pennies to get the nicest one you can accept.
At 100 wpc the AHB isn't exactly a power monster, granted being a SOTA performer.
I believe your Revel's make good use of the bridged amps and wouldn't get rid of one.
JMHO
Cheers

Top Bottom