• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 mono-blocks > Sell one and buy Bicycle?

Martini

Forum Donor
So, I've always been into fitness, but found myself being slack in regard to cardio in the winter months, as I hate getting cold. So picked up a spinner bike to eliminate my excuses this winter. Now it has me thinking of getting a road bike for the warmer months. I've thought about it often over the years, but I've had other money pits to play in, such as the audio one (though I feel content, now) and a big $$ one in auto racing. Now I'm looking down into the cycling rabbit hole and wondering about selling one of my AHB2s to offset the cost of decent bike & accessories.

The AHB2s are powering a pair of Revel F328be, in a medium sized room, and I really don't need the additional power of the bridged pair in this room; but at the time of purchase there was talk of moving, which might have offered a larger room. My future is not set (whose is), so that could still happen. Anyway, looking at Amir's latest testing of the AHB2 and the impedance curve for the Revel, has me wondering about the value of running mono-blocks. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-f328be-speaker-review.17443/

Cycling is not a given for me though, as I've got to consider the risk involved, as drivers in the US have an inability to put down cell phones, often lack the intelligence to operate a vehicle and occasionally seem to have animosity towards cyclist. Next, I have to consider the amount of time I'll have to ride, which would be primarily the weekends and occasional 1-hr evening sessions. Also, the auto racing & HPDE events and the required high maintenance on the car, would cut into those weekends. Although, the auto racing maybe coming to an end... I didn't get out at all last year, event costs are climbing too much and few of my paddock pals have dropped out due to health & interest reasons. I'm just not sure I could fully give it up though, as I love pushing myself and the car. The whole process is such a mental challenge. Cycling could provide me a little bit of that, but I'm too old and short to be a competitive cyclist. And too poor to be a competitive amateur auto racer :(.

Any thoughts and/or advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1705259921749.png
    1705259921749.png
    436 KB · Views: 39

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than bridging, I've never seen any legitimate measurements showing that mono-blocks offer increased performance, except sometimes an insignificant power increase from having individual power supplies. I say, sell one and get your bicycle!

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well it sounds like you are asking for personal finance advice, so I will answer it as such.

Why don’t you try an affordable/used bike for <$500 if you are not sure you will like it or use it often?

Also, it seems crazy to me that someone with a pair of F328 and AHB2 monoblocks wouldn’t just have a ton of money laying around to buy whatever bike. Do you have a “fun money” account that the amps, car and bike need to stay within? Or are you really within a few grand of running out of liquidity?

I agree with fpitas that the evidence that the extra power of the monoblocks is more important than the output impedance is lacking.

Last edited:

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Well it sounds like you are asking for personal finance advice, so I will answer it as such.

Why don’t you try an affordable/used bike for <$500 if you are not sure you will like it or use it often?

Also, it seems crazy to me that someone with a pair of F328 and AHB2 monoblocks wouldn’t just have a ton of money layong around to buy whatever bike. Do you have a “fun money” account that the amps, car and bike need to stay within? Or are you really within a few grand of running out of liquidity?

I agree with fpitas that the evidence that the extra power of the monoblocks is more important than the output impedance is lacking.
Auto racing - AJ Foyt (maybe said by others) once said, the way to make a small fortune in auto racing is to start with a large fortune

DSJR

Major Contributor
Other than bridging, I've never seen any legitimate measurements showing that mono-blocks offer increased performance, except sometimes an insignificant power increase from having individual power supplies. I say, sell one and get your bicycle!
Bridged AHB2's offer at least double the power over a single one, don't they?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bridged AHB2's offer at least double the power over a single one, don't they?
Yes; I was referring to the mystique that a mono-block was desirable in and of itself. If he doesn't need the bridged power, a single AHB2 should be fine.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Monoblocks never appealed, but bikes I have a problem with :). I haven't ridden a road bike in a coupla years, prefer mountain biking, lots safer than sharing a road with distracted drivers (plus we have killer singletrack mountain biking and thousands of miles of gravel roads, little pavement outside of the main highway which is one of the most dangerous in the state for drivers let alone bikes). I don't like selling gear either, tho, so I'd probably figure a way to just add a bike. Not a bad time to acquire a bike, tho....the industry is kinda hurting.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Cross those at 70 Hz, other than that I don't know... Did you give it a thought about rowing during the winter if you really need a workout. Regarding biking why not MTB and if it doesn't go try a crosser (motorcycle). For starters you don't really need a very expensive MTB so keep the AMP. In my opinion it's more about the crew and experience.
Have a nice time and enjoy.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I don't really have an answer on the amp requirements, but I do cycle a fair bit.

Chrispy has already mentioned mountain bikes and getting off the roads, I would also consider a gravel bike. While not as capable on really rough trails as a full mountain bike with suspension, they are simpler to maintain and still allow you to enjoy the rougher back roads and tracks, away from traffic, and more capable on road when you come across a nice quiet one.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't really have an answer on the amp requirements, but I do cycle a fair bit.

Chrispy has already mentioned mountain bikes and getting off the roads, I would also consider a gravel bike. While not as capable on really rough trails as a full mountain bike with suspension, they are simpler to maintain and still allow you to enjoy the rougher back roads and tracks, away from traffic, and more capable on road when you come across a nice quiet one.
Or even on-road, better than skinnies on potholes!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely, I run my tyres tubeless and a 700 x 35 - 40mm at ~45psi really takes the sting out of rough roads, even without suspension.
If my road bikes could accommodate tires like that I just might ride them more....but 25-28 is max. On my mountain bikes I run 71/76 with suspension :)

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Yes and no. If mono-blocks aren't really needed then I don't see need to retain them as a pair. Further, if using them in bridged mode makes them a less ideal match for the speakers impedance, which stays around the 4-ohm range for bit, then perhaps I part with one. I certainly didn't get the pair for boasting reasons, but for possibly for misplaced reassurance. However, if the added wattage is useful then I've no problem keeping both. They will last many years.

Also, it seems crazy to me that someone with a pair of F328 and AHB2 monoblocks wouldn’t just have a ton of money laying around to buy whatever bike. Do you have a “fun money” account that the amps, car and bike need to stay within? Or are you really within a few grand of running out of liquidity?
I was very fortunate in obtaining the F328s, they were not what I ordered and were out of my price range. However, after some warehouse miscommunications and pandemic caused shortages, Revel offered me these and I'm very grateful.

Good bikes that fit are not inexpensive and I've never been an easy fit. I could swing it on its' own, but it would hurt for a little bit.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor

A gravel bike is a consideration. I'm very demanding person, of both myself & equipment, and sometimes others. The precision of road bike kind-of draws me that direction, but I'm not closed on options. The mind of racer always seeking perfection is always at working within me, so I think in terms of turning laps even for exercise. When I was a kid I had a BMX bike, then a road bike, but after cars and college almost no cycling :confused: and I missed it.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for a gravel bike... managed to snag one of these (5 years old or so) recently for just over $500 - https://www.breezerbikes.com/collections/inversion-1/products/inversion-pro-22

I think a gravel bike will help you let go of the perfectionist streak and just ride. If you sell one of the benchmarks and go secondhand you can get 2 or 3 decent bikes with the money. Gravel, MTB and road are possible.

Or just one nice road bike.

But overall I approve of the reallocation here. Running these amps bridged is really overkill for most situations.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cross those at 70 Hz, other than that I don't know... Did you give it a thought about rowing during the winter if you really need a workout. Regarding biking why not MTB and if it doesn't go try a crosser (motorcycle). For starters you don't really need a very expensive MTB so keep the AMP. In my opinion it's more about the crew and experience.
Have a nice time and enjoy.
Yes, a good alternative to bikers who hate cold (like I used to be) is rowing. Try it out at a health club for a few weeks. If you like it, get yourself a good rower for at home. It will help with keeping cardio. It will help with upper body a little which biking doesn't do much for anyway. It works to some measure more muscles than almost any other single exercise. I found it warms you up enough I'd leave the rower in an unheated garage. Kept the wind off, I could open the door for a view outside, and yet with just a sweat shirt, and pants was plenty warm even on fairly cold days.

Now I'd say you probably don't need the monoblock amps. One should do it. I also concur with others. Get a 2nd hand MTB or whichever type you want. You can often get very expensive 2 or 3 year old bikes for 1/3 to 1/2 new price. If you are near a fair size city, you very likely can get one nearly unused. Lots of people buy the bike, but don't make use of it.

I like all biking. I prefer road biking, but depending upon where you can ride, drivers are terribly distracted these days. My next choice would be a gravel bike if you have gravel areas or parks or something not quite smooth enough for a road bike. Last is MTB, but not to say I don't like it.

ChaZam

I will always encourage exercise.
I used to ride all the time.
I wouldn’t put my ass on the street for all the money in the world.
The modern driver is completely out of touch with their responsibilities.
Spinner for me. I thank you.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
First, disconnect one amp and see if you miss it.

Top Bottom