• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac FS 247.4, a big slap in the face!

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

After listening, I had the opportunity to purchase a pair of Elac FS 247.4. I might as well tell you that at €1000 per pair (new), I got a golden deal)
And what a big slap in the face! These speakers are exceptional from the first listen.
For instance : nn the complex title Grare: "Paris- Istambul" - SHANGHAI (which I really recommend to everyone), these speakers were super comfortable, all the orchestration was clear and well balanced. On the title "Another day of Sun" La La Land, same impression, everything was readable and clearly detached.
I took immense pleasure in listening to all my playlist, these speakers simply impressed me! So much so that I still wonder how these speakers with such small woofers could go down so low without a burr! From top to bottom of the spectrum, everything was actually there. In short, I remain super impressed )

Concerning the quality/price ratio: it's difficult to fault them for anything... except that they are made in Asia.
Elac has taken great care with the quality of assembly, the internal cables are even covered in foam to avoid any vibration. As for the design, we stay on simple lines but the basic cabinetry seems well designed. The speakers come with decoupling spikes and everything is well explained in the user manual.

@amirm : I think it would make some of us happy if you could test these speakers) :)

My Setup :

3E Audio Power amp
Sabaj A30A FDA / Power Dac
Sabj A10D balanced DAC
ELAC FS 247.4 speakers (black)

Summary :

2.5 Way Speakers
Minimum impedance: 5.7 ohms @196 Hz
Nominal impedance (±20% tolerance): 6 ohms
Sensitivity: 85 dB (2.83 V / 1 m; 500-5000 Hz)
±1.4 dB for horizontal dispersion (0/15/30 degrees, 300-10,000 Hertz).
Crossover frequencies: 250 Hz / 2.5 kHz

Measurement sources :

Source 1
Source 2

1699004481444.png
1699004498896.png

1699004526133.png
1699004537194.png

1699004567570.png
1699004683307.png

1699003074437.png
1699003208338.png

1699003429306.png
1699003455768.png

Attachments

• 1699004462742.png
    1699004462742.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

After listening, I had the opportunity to purchase a pair of Elac FS 247.4. I might as well tell you that at €1000 per pair (new), I got a golden deal)
And what a big slap in the face! These speakers are exceptional from the first listen.
For instance : nn the complex title Grare: "Paris- Istambul" - SHANGHAI (which I really recommend to everyone), these speakers were super comfortable, all the orchestration was clear and well balanced. On the title "Another day of Sun" La La Land, same impression, everything was readable and clearly detached.
I took immense pleasure in listening to all my playlist, these speakers simply impressed me! So much so that I still wonder how these speakers with such small woofers could go down so low without a burr! From top to bottom of the spectrum, everything was actually there. In short, I remain super impressed )

Concerning the quality/price ratio: it's difficult to fault them for anything... except that they are made in Asia.
Elac has taken great care with the quality of assembly, the internal cables are even covered in foam to avoid any vibration. As for the design, we stay on simple lines but the basic cabinetry seems well designed. The speakers come with decoupling spikes and everything is well explained in the user manual.

@amirm : I think it would make some of us happy if you could test these speakers) :)

My Setup :

3E Audio Power amp
Sabaj A30A FDA / Power Dac
Sabj A10D balanced DAC
ELAC FS 247.4 speakers (black)

Summary :

2.5 Way Speakers
Minimum impedance: 5.7 ohms @196 Hz
Nominal impedance (±20% tolerance): 6 ohms
Sensitivity: 85 dB (2.83 V / 1 m; 500-5000 Hz)
±1.4 dB for horizontal dispersion (0/15/30 degrees, 300-10,000 Hertz).
Crossover frequencies: 250 Hz / 2.5 kHz

Measurement sources :

Source 1
Source 2

View attachment 323383View attachment 323384
View attachment 323385View attachment 323386
View attachment 323387View attachment 323389

View attachment 323375View attachment 323376
View attachment 323379View attachment 323380
Congratulations on a great purchase!:D

They have that JET tweeter that audiophiles speak so highly of.

Are you a bass junkie? That is, will you add fat subwoofers together with them or do you think that the bass in the Elac FS 247.4, based on your listening taste and listening room, is good enough as it is?

Edit:
However, according to the measurements, they seem to go down to around 30 Hz in and of themselves. There was some good low frequency digging by those Elac FS 247.4 I must say.:)

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to be fully correct JET (currently in 6th generation)are called only the AMT made by ELAC Germany in their original factory there, these models from ELAC USA which are made in China don't have it but according to ELAC an "Air-Motion-Transformer folded according to the JET principle".

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Congratulations on a great purchase!:D

Are you a bass junkie? That is, will you add fat subwoofers together with them or do you think that the bass in the Elac FS 247.4, based on your listening taste and listening room, is good enough as it is?

Edit:
However, according to the measurements, they seem to go down to around 30 Hz in and of themselves. There was some good low frequency digging by those Elac FS 247.4 I must say.:)
In all honesty, I have owned quite a few speakers) I can say without being too mistaken that the FS 247.4 sends "heavy bass". In my listening conditions (living room of around 40M2) no need to add a subwoofer. I'm not crazy about "bass" But I appreciate the happy medium between "not enough" and" too much.";)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Just to be fully correct JET (currently in 6th generation)are called only the AMT made by ELAC Germany in their original factory there, these models from ELAC USA which are made in China don't have it but according to ELAC an "Air-Motion-Transformer folded according to the JET principle".

You're right. This is why I added my little downside: they are made in Asia)
That being said, at this price: I have absolutely nothing to complain about them. ASR has often shown us that it is not enough to pay more to get the best)

DanielT

Major Contributor
You might be right, or not? I'm not really getting any wiser because I read what Elac themselves say about the tweeter in their model FS247.4:
Screenshot_2023-11-03_114158.jpg

In all honesty, I have owned quite a few speakers) I can say without being too mistaken that the FS 247.4 sends "heavy bass". In my listening conditions (living room of around 40M2) no need to add a subwoofer.
Sounds good. That Elac FS 247.4 seems to be a nice speaker.:)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're right. This is why I added my little downside: they are made in Asia)
That being said, at this price: I have absolutely nothing to complain about them. ASR has often shown us that it is not enough to pay more to get the best)
Sure, my comment wasn't about criticizing their origin or quality, just about the designation "JET", for the price you got it its a real bargain!

You might be right, or not? I'm not really getting any wiser because I read what Elac themselves say about the tweeter in their model FS247.4:
The German website version is more clear about it from which I translated my above quote https://www.elac.de/series/carina-de/fs247-4-de/
By the way the current ELAC website which replaced the old German one when ELAC America was created is quite sad as it hasn't been updated in the last years, the old one was really good as it had also a database of all past models.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sure, my comment wasn't about criticizing their origin or quality, just about the designation "JET", for the price you got it its a real bargain!

The German website version is more clear about it from which I translated my above quote https://www.elac.de/series/carina-de/fs247-4-de/
By the way the current ELAC website which replaced the old German one when ELAC America was created is quite sad as it hasn't been updated in the last years, the old one was really good as it had also a database of all past models.
Aha, then I understand.:)

In any case, I agree with you when you say:...for the price you got it its a real bargain!

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Congrats for your purchase! As a big fan of JET tweeter and Elac speakers with AMT, I'm always glad to see someone happy with those. I had a pair of first generation FS 247 for 10 years and was very satisfied with everything except the LF extension, so I upgraded to the first gen FS 407.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Found this : https://www.bonsaimachos.de/elac-carina-fs247.4-test-247-fs.html

I quote : "The tweeter looks like a Jet 5, but it's not. I've already disrespectfully referred to it as a "Chinese folding dog", because it is an air motion transformer made in China to Kiel specifications, which is of course largely a jet, well that the slats are spaced a little further apart than in the original. "

I forgot to add that these speakers are easily positionable, they have a Downfiring type event. This is really appreciated and a plus for me )

1699012310807.png

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Found this : https://www.bonsaimachos.de/elac-carina-fs247.4-test-247-fs.html

I quote : "The tweeter looks like a Jet 5, but it's not. I've already disrespectfully referred to it as a "Chinese folding dog", because it is an air motion transformer made in China to Kiel specifications, which is of course largely a jet, well that the slats are spaced a little further apart than in the original. "

I forgot to add that these speakers are easily positionable, they have a Downfiring type event. This is really appreciated and a plus for me )

View attachment 323400
Smart use of the floor as bass support when a narrow baffle does not provide it.:)

Maybe you should think about if a downfiring port is a good solution if you live in an apartment and sensitive neighbors live below you, but beyond that a smart construction. :D

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Amir did measure the similar bookshelf model, the BS243.4, as seen here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...arina-bs243-4-review-bookshelf-speaker.34398/

And JA of Stereophile reviewed that bookshelf model (BS243.4) as well, as seen here:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/elac-carina-bs2434-loudspeaker-measurements

A comparison by analogy is unfortunately impossible. This point had already been raised by Amir. These are two different speakers even if they use common components.

GiBo61

Funny enough I was about to write myself an enthusiastic post about my new Elac FS 247.4 Carinas when I saw yours...
I bought mine used (like new) for less than €1000 a couple of weeks ago. The original idea was to buy the Vela FS407, FANTASTIC speakers, but right now too expensive for my budget.
Funny enough I also drive my Carinas with a Sabaj A30a full digutal amplifier!!!
All I can say is that I completely quote daniboun, maybe with the exception that in my setuo (about 30 m2 rectangular room) they are mederatively sensitive to their placement. In the enclosed picture the Carinas are in their "rest" position (for casual listening), quite cloes to the back wall (around 30 cm). They sound fine, but they really start to shine as soon as I move them forward, about 80 cm from the back wall. I also have the Elac Vela 403 bookshelf speakers with the "real"Jet5 ribbon tweeter. I decided to buy also the Carinas after I moved in a larger apartment. I've made a comparison between the two Elac speakers in the vendor's showroom. I'm a scientist and I'm not able to use fancy audiophile terms to describe the diffences I ear. What I can say is that the Elac Vela BS403 are more serious and controlled, the sound is more cold compared to the Carina, they start to shine when your raise the volume. On the other hand the Carinas are more warm, with the mids more forward, and more funny to listen to, even at moderate volume leves. Obvioulsy the extension and body of the low frequencies is more evident on the Carina even if the impression is that the woofers of the Elac Vela BS403 are more controlled/fast. Let say that for a more precise reproduction (chamber music, solo instruments) I would use the Elac Vela BS403, while for Jazz ensemble/Rock/Pop the Carinas. Unfortunately I live in an apartment in a condo and I cannot play my music loud, the few times that I did that the sound that comes out of these speakers is almost moving, albeit in a different way (more joufull the Carinas, more thrilling the Velas).
Additional comments/info:
- my source is mainlu a Winm Mini connetcet to the Sabaj with a Toslink digital optical cable
- the Carinas are surprisingly underrated among mid-level speakers
- the Carinas are extremely well made considering their price, I'm convinced that chinese factories can produce very good products when working with the right project and a right budget (like the iPhones).
- both the Carinas and the Velas have a rather low sensitivity, I would say around 84/85db (vs 85/86db nominal), with the Velas a little more sensitive)
- I have a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w subwoofer that use often with the small Velas.
- I do not have bookshelf speaker stands, I'm sure that using those I could improve the sound of my Vela BS403
- I didn't think at the beginning I could like the Carinas in white color, now I really love them.
- I listened to the Carina 247.4 and the Vela FS 407 Vela in two different showrooms so I can't make a real comparison, however my feeling is that the Carina 247.4 could be more fun, if less precise.

I have a question for daniboun: as I mentioned before I cannot play music very loud, however I've never had the feeling that the Sabaj A30a is not powerful enough to drive the Carinas even considering their low sensitivity (I reallly LOVE this amplifier). Do you have the same feeling? Can you play music at high volume in your room with your Sabaj A30a?

IMG20231021163110.jpg

Last edited:

Frewat

It's nice to see that Elac get some love as well as other brands on this site.
They sure do have some great loudspeaker product lines.

I've had a few different speakers from them over the years and in my main system I have the Vela 409.

I think the price Vs performance ratio declines alot after the Carinas with their more expensive lines. The Carina and the Solano line have the best PvP ratio if you want a AMT from them.

The biggest problem elac really have are the 2nd order distortion in the crossover region between the mid and the tweeter. It's still quite low mind you but they are no Kef in terms of distortion.

Nevertheless, it's nothing I've taken note of when I compare the Elac's to Kef R series (which I adore!)

The Carinas really are some great and beautiful loudspeakers.

dmilller

I too have the Carinas and enjoy them. Their sound improves considerably when pulled away from the wall (like most speakers). One reason I prefer bookshelve speakers on a stand and subs is the ease of temporary reposition of the L/R.

Elac claims their downward firing port, present on these models, are better for typical close to wall placement.

Personally I would not place the spiked feet on a wood floor, even white oak. I have those on the elac speaker stands. The disks they provide to protect a hard floor from the spikes are dumb. I removed the spikes and put on furniture pads. But I can see those letting a floor standing speaker move at high volume.

I also have the Carina center channel, which I fortunately found inexpensively on ebay. I hate the price of matching center channels, as my critical listening is 2.1

€1000 for the big boys of that line is a really good price.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Funny enough I was about to write myself an enthusiastic post about my new Elac FS 247.4 Carinas when I saw yours...
I bought mine used (like new) for less than €1000 a couple of weeks ago. The original idea was to buy the Vela FS407, FANTASTIC speakers, but right now too expensive for my budget.
Funny enough I also drive my Carinas with a Sabaj A30a full digutal amplifier!!!
All I can say is that I completely quote daniboun, maybe with the exception that in my setuo (about 30 m2 rectangular room) they are mederatively sensitive to their placement. In the enclosed picture the Carinas are in their "rest" position (for casual listening), quite cloes to the back wall (around 30 cm). They sound fine, but they really start to shine as soon as I move them forward, about 80 cm from the back wall. I also have the Elac Vela 403 bookshelf speakers with the "real"Jet5 ribbon tweeter. I decided to buy also the Carinas after I moved in a larger apartment. I've made a comparison between the two Elac speakers in the vendor's showroom. I'm a scientist and I'm not able to use fancy audiophile terms to describe the diffences I ear. What I can say is that the Elac Vela BS403 are more serious and controlled, the sound is more cold compared to the Carina, they start to shine when your raise the volume. On the other hand the Carinas are more warm, with the mids more forward, and more funny to listen to, even at moderate volume leves. Obvioulsy the extension and body of the low frequencies is more evident on the Carina even if the impression is that the woofers of the Elac Vela BS403 are more controlled/fast. Let say that for a more precise reproduction (chamber music, solo instruments) I would use the Elac Vela BS403, while for Jazz ensemble/Rock/Pop the Carinas. Unfortunately I live in an apartment in a condo and I cannot play my music loud, the few times that I did that the sound that comes out of these speakers is almost moving, albeit in a different way (more joufull the Carinas, more thrilling the Velas).
Additional comments/info:
- my source is mainlu a Winm Mini connetcet to the Sabaj with a Toslink digital optical cable
- the Carinas are surprisingly underrated among mid-level speakers
- the Carinas are extremely well made considering their price, I'm convinced that chinese factories can produce very good products when working with the right project and a right budget (like the iPhones).
- both the Carinas and the Velas have a rather low sensitivity, I would say around 84/85db (vs 85/86db nominal), with the Velas a little more sensitive)
- I have a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w subwoofer that use often with the small Velas.
- I do not have bookshelf speaker stands, I'm sure that using those I could improve the sound of my Vela BS403
- I didn't think at the beginning I could like the Carinas in white color, now I really love them.
- I listened to the Carina 247.4 and the Vela FS 407 Vela in two different showrooms so I can't make a real comparison, however my feeling is that the Carina 247.4 could be more fun, if less precise.

I have a question for daniboun: as I mentioned before I cannot play music very loud, however I've never had the feeling that the Sabaj A30a is not powerful enough to drive the Carinas even considering their low sensitivity (I reallly LOVE this amplifier). Do you have the same feeling? Can you play music at high volume in your room with your Sabaj A30a?
It's nice to see that someone else is using almost the same setup as mine) I have to admit that my current living room is not at all suitable. I am in the process of having a house built with much more suitable listening conditions)

Regarding the Vela BS403, they are tested here under exactly the same test conditions as the Carina FS 247.4 :
Measurements of The Vela FS407 can be found here (same conditions as well)
That being said, I would not swap my Carinas for the FS407 or the BS403) The value for money of the Carina FS247.4 is just monstrous)

To answer you, the Sabaj A30A is more than powerful enough to drive almost any speaker. I have ADS floor Speakers made in France @ 9000€ which are much more massive (88DB) at home, no problem with the Sabaj A30s.. If we make the analogy with SMSL VMV A2 which uses the same chips as the Sabaj A30A. We should hope for a good 206W @ 4R and a good 103W @ 8R ) So I can confirm that I can listen at high volume without problem with this amp)

FS 407 (left) vs FS 247.4 (right)

1699137476047.png

1699137398145.png

1699136966709.png

1699136994177.png

1699137026387.png

Attachments

• 1699136882841.png
    1699136882841.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 1699136937273.png
    1699136937273.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I too have the Carinas and enjoy them. Their sound improves considerably when pulled away from the wall (like most speakers). One reason I prefer bookshelve speakers on a stand and subs is the ease of temporary reposition of the L/R.

Elac claims their downward firing port, present on these models, are better for typical close to wall placement.

Personally I would not place the spiked feet on a wood floor, even white oak. I have those on the elac speaker stands. The disks they provide to protect a hard floor from the spikes are dumb. I removed the spikes and put on furniture pads. But I can see those letting a floor standing speaker move at high volume.

I also have the Carina center channel, which I fortunately found inexpensively on ebay. I hate the price of matching center channels, as my critical listening is 2.1

€1000 for the big boys of that line is a really good price.

I think I could really get a feel for the Carinas when I have my future listening room. Currently I have a floor which vibrates too much and which does not serve the FS247.4. Alas, I have to wait another 10 months for my house to be delivered) I will give you my impressions at that time, concerning the use of spikes or not, positioning etc...

In any case, thank you for this great feedback, it’s nice! :)

GiBo61

My 247.4 Carinas (and Vela BS403) with and without their magnetic grilles

IMG20231113140152.jpg

IMG20231113140224.jpg

Top Bottom