• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac FS 247.4, a big slap in the face!

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
My 247.4 Carinas (and Vela BS403) with and without their magnetic grilles
On the white model, I find that the grilles improve the appearance, I like it)

Sonhires

Salut a tous, Paris Istanbul Shanghai, idéal pour tester un système !

Translated by moderator.

Hello everyone, Paris Istanbul Shanghai, ideal for testing a system!

Last edited by a moderator:

Peterson

Nice speakers, i really would like to listen them for a while. But almost the 600€ are too much for me at this time. Just ordered an aune s17 pro as new preamp. But if anyone here has the money left, here are the first "Black Friday Offers"...

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-17 um 15.39.45.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-17 um 15.39.45.png
    583 KB · Views: 106
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Nice speakers, i really would like to listen them for a while. But almost the 600€ are too much for me at this time. Just ordered an aune s17 pro as new preamp. But if anyone here has the money left, here are the first "Black Friday Offers"...

Great deal ! Personally, I can tell you that I have 10KE speakers at home.... and these FS247.4s have nothing to envy of them! Trust the measurements and not the price, amigos)

n00brx

I owned a pair of 247.4 and sold them recently,
Maybe I don’t have enough room for the speakers to breath and I found the speaker’s rear port is a really strange design which affecting the high bass a lot. I have my speakers 1 meter away from front wall and the speaker still dip 4-5db in 120-250hz range, which make voice sound very thin. I also have problem a peak at around 900-1000 with 5-8 db. Which I don’t know how you can get the frequency response curve so flat. How many room you give the speaker to breathe to get above result?

GiBo61

Maybe I don’t have enough room for the speakers to breath and I found the speaker’s rear port is a really strange design which affecting the high bass a lot. I have my speakers 1 meter away from front wall and the speaker still dip 4-5db in 120-250hz range, which make voice sound very thin. I also have problem a peak at around 900-1000 with 5-8 db. Which I don’t know how you can get the frequency response curve so flat. How many room you give the speaker to breathe to get above result?
The flat curve you see in the first post of this thread is from a lab report of the i-fidelity.net website and does not correspond to an in room measurement. To the best of my knowledge in this thread there is no in room measuremet of the 247.4 Carinas (I wonder how you determined yours).
I did not do any in room measurerment, however I'm more than satisfied of the sound coming out of my Carinas. In most cases my 247.4 are about 30 cm from the back wall with a foam plug in the speaker’s rear port. Whenever I want them to sound their best, I temporarily move them about 1 meter away from the back wall, remove the foam plug from the back port and enjoy the magic of their sound. I'm sure there are dozens of speakers better than the Elac 247.4, however I doubt it's easy to find something significantly better considering my budget and the maximum sound level I can reach in my apartment. Although there is no logical reason to do so, I foresee that in the next couple of years I will buy a "more serious" integrated amplifier (a Yamaha A-S 1200, now I have a fantastic Sabaj A30a) but I am convinced that the Carinas will stay with me for a long time time to come.

n00brx

The flat curve you see in the first post of this thread is from a lab report of the i-fidelity.net website and does not correspond to an in room measurement. To the best of my knowledge in this thread there is no in room measuremet of the 247.4 Carinas (I wonder how you determined yours).
I did not do any in room measurerment, however I'm more than satisfied of the sound coming out of my Carinas. In most cases my 247.4 are about 30 cm from the back wall with a foam plug in the speaker’s rear port. Whenever I want them to sound their best, I temporarily move them about 1 meter away from the back wall, remove the foam plug from the back port and enjoy the magic of their sound. I'm sure there are dozens of speakers better than the Elac 247.4, however I doubt it's easy to find something significantly better considering my budget and the maximum sound level I can reach in my apartment. Although there is no logical reason to do so, I foresee that in the next couple of years I will buy a "more serious" integrated amplifier (a Yamaha A-S 1200, now I have a fantastic Sabaj A30a) but I am convinced that the Carinas will stay with me for a long time time to come.
I use the measurement mic from minidsp and the curve is quite terrible in the mid and bass range.
But the bass go really deep that surprised a lot by the 5.25inch drivers.
Anyway, it is a good speaker even T the original price of $10000 each. It is a real steal for $1000 /pair

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
What's the fault of being made in Asia?
No harm in being produced in Asia) It must be read backwards in this case, made in China but efficient despite everything that can be said about Asian productions.:)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

These speakers have actually been tested by several sites. These are not ASR test conditions that's for sure. But unanimously, the response of these speakers remains linear.
We still observe good consistency between the different tests.

"Elac has linear and coherent frequency response with just a hint to rise at the top measured straight from the front (Green). 60 degrees (red) from the side falls
the treble above 10 kHz, fast but controlled." They have a nice impedance (green). Never below 5.5 ohms. Also the phase (red) is discreet even about the changes during
100 Hz could have been a bit softer."

1701417912747.png

n00brx

These speakers have actually been tested by several sites. These are not ASR test conditions that's for sure. But unanimously, the response of these speakers remains linear.
We still observe good consistency between the different tests.

"Elac has linear and coherent frequency response with just a hint to rise at the top measured straight from the front (Green). 60 degrees (red) from the side falls
the treble above 10 kHz, fast but controlled." They have a nice impedance (green). Never below 5.5 ohms. Also the phase (red) is discreet even about the changes during
100 Hz could have been a bit softer."

View attachment 330828
I think the problem is with my room. But the rear port is not that friendly when there is near front wall

GiBo61

I use the measurement mic from minidsp and the curve is quite terrible in the mid and bass range.
But the bass go really deep that surprised a lot by the 5.25inch drivers.
Anyway, it is a good speaker even T the original price of $10000 each. It is a real steal for $1000 /pair
The original price of a pair of Elac Carina 247.4 has never been so high ($10000) costing around 2000 Euros/Dollars

Last edited:
Top Bottom