• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

computer voice control

Digby

Major Contributor
Anybody using voice control for their laptop/PC? I just feel like a lot of what I do with the keyboard/mouse is repeating the same patterns and I'm wondering if voice control has advanced far enough that it can cut down on this and also get me out of a chair a bit more. Anybody using this? (preferably something that doesn't send recordings of my voice off to amazon/google)

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Windows 10/11 already introduced CoPilot, which can help you automate system related tasks, using voice.
It will only get more powerful over time, since CoPilot is built on ChatGPT.

Plus, i'm keeping an eye on Rewind (link) (coming soon), a ChatGPT type of software that you can interact with, to do various things in Windows.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Windows 10/11 already introduced CoPilot, which can help you automate system related tasks, using voice.
It will only get more powerful over time, since CoPilot is built on ChatGPT.

Plus, i'm keeping an eye on Rewind (link) (coming soon), a ChatGPT type of software that you can interact with, to do various things in Windows.
Do you worry/care that this is all done on the net and your voice is probably stored/integrated into the system?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So far, I'm finding CoPilot pretty annoying to use. There's currently no way to move or undock the window and there's no wake word capability.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I've used voice control and dictation for years. It works well. But in an office environment your colleagues may take some time to get used to you giving the computer instructions.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Do you worry/care that this is all done on the net and your voice is probably stored/integrated into the system?
On Windows, no telemetry is stopped by default. Shocking, I know. Haha.
It's only when you run registry/powershell tweaks that you can begin to block telemetry of your usage being sent to Microsoft.
I personally use ShutUp10++ (link) for Windows10/11. Just hit 'actions' then 'apply recommended' and restart computer... now Microsoft telemetry information (and other tweaks) are disabled.
Another way of blocking various telemetry apps on Windows, is to use AdGuard for Windows (see my guide on how to purchase), with DNS-based system wide blocking, which will block various ad-related domains, that Microsoft typically uses.
Both of these strategies will give you some kind of piece of mind with privacy in mind, when it comes to Windows.
By default, Windows 10/11 is a telemetry nightmare. Windows 7, on the other hand, was 100x less privacy invading. But, I digress.

I mentioned Rewind for Windows, which will be on-device processing (hence considered private), much like an iOS device without an internet connection.

For iOS for example, you can talk to Siri without an internet connection now, since audio is processed by the processor on device.
As long as you have iPhones and iPads with its A12 Bionic chip or later.

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Dragon Naturally Speaking. Once I'd trained it and used it for a while, accuracy was pretty much perfect, but it does require a proper headset.

Because it on the machine, there are no data protection risks (unlike cloud based equivalents).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dragon Naturally Speaking. Once I'd trained it and used it for a while, accuracy was pretty much perfect, but it does require a proper headset.

Because it on the machine, there are no data protection risks (unlike cloud based equivalents).
Remember trying its first version on Windows 95 in 1997 and being impressed back then, the good ol' days....

MAB

Major Contributor
We tried it at work, but the open office-space made it disruptive. The voice recognition was quite good, but many applications we use didn't support.

On a more humorous note, it was attempted on Star Trek too;):
star-trek-scotty.gif

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We tried it at work, but the open office-space made it disruptive. The voice recognition was quite good, but many applications we use didn't support.

star-trek-scotty.gif

one of the best scenes ever!

Reactions: MAB

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor

star-trek-scotty.gif
It is certainly potentially disruptive in open offices, but I used it successfully for many years. Hot desking makes it tougher still, because I'd often have someone near me when I was using it who had not experienced it before. Obviously I couldn't dictate staff matters in an open plan, but would use a pod!

I was inspired to try it by chatting to hospital doctors who can't function without it due to the phenomenal volume of notes they need to take.(there's a very expensive medical version with pre-filled dictionaries of common medical terms).

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom