• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Building SOTA system with subwoofer optimization

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@PortalKeeper the easy way to integrate subs is get a MiniDSP either a 2x4 HD or a flex. The Flex measures better and you will probably be happier with it, but it will probably not sound better than the 2x4 HD except maybe with some noise prone active speakers. A DAC with a 122 dB SINAD will not sound any better the flex.

Your KEF 950 towers are most likely good enough, but not SOTA. As for the various room EQ optimization softwares you mention they might or might not help. It depends on what problems the room has and which of those actually bother you.

OP
P

PortalKeeper

@PortalKeeper the easy way to integrate subs is get a MiniDSP either a 2x4 HD or a flex. The Flex measures better and you will probably be happier with it, but it will probably not sound better than the 2x4 HD except maybe with some noise prone active speakers. A DAC with a 122 dB SINAD will not sound any better the flex.

Your KEF 950 towers are most likely good enough, but not SOTA. As for the various room EQ optimization softwares you mention they might or might not help. It depends on what problems the room has and which of those actually bother you.
Thanks for that. I will be upgrading speakers in the long run but want to start getting quality stuff. Do you know if minidsp offers any products with phantom power for condenser mics?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for that. I will be upgrading speakers in the long run but want to start getting quality stuff. Do you know if minidsp offers any products with phantom power for condenser mics?
I don't know what phantom power even is.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to suggest you to use OKTO DAC8PRO, and suitable DSP software upstream in your PC (or Mac) for multichannel multi-SP-Driver (including L&R subwoofers) multi-amplifier fully active audio setup where you will be able to establish 0.1 msec precision time alignment all over the SP drivers as well as very much flexible (even on-the-fly, while listening to music) XO/EQ/Delay/Relative-Gain control and tuning.

My such audio setup (project thread here) with DAC8PRO is not for professional use, but I assume it would be of your reference and interest.
For your quick and easy understandings, you can find the latest system setup of my multichannel audio ring rig here on my project thread.

Last edited:
OP
P

PortalKeeper

I don't know what phantom power even is.
Most condenser mics need 48 volts from the xlr input they are plugged into to run. Audio interfaces have this but general converters don’t. After some research I’m pretty sure the RME converters don’t.

OP
P

PortalKeeper

I would like to suggest you to use OKTO DAC8PRO, and suitable DSP software upstream in your PC (or Mac) for multichannel multi-SP-Driver (including L&R subwoofers) multi-amplifier fully active audio setup where you will be able to establish 0.1 msec precision time alignment all over the SP drivers as well as very much flexible (even on-the-fly, while listening to music) XO/EQ/Delay/Relative-Gain control and tuning.

My such audio setup (project thread here) with DAC8PRO is not for professional use, but I assume it would be of your reference and interest.
For your quick and easy understandings, you can find the latest system setup of my multichannel audio ring here on my project thread.
Thank you I’ll take a look into this

Top Bottom