• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opera Grand Mezza

pmichael

About a year ago, I unexpectedly got my hands on a pair of Opera Grand Mezza speakers. I really like how they sound, but these are my first serious speakers, and I don’t have anything to compare them to. I’ve tried looking up information online, but I can’t find any independent reviews. So, I’m wondering: What level of audio quality am I dealing with here? And if I want to upgrade, where should I go next?
My current system setup includes streaming from Qobuz via my MacBook Pro, which connects to a Topping E50 DAC and Audiophonics Purifi LPA-S400ET power amplifier.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've never heard a pair, but I nearly bought a pair secondhand a while back. A quality made speaker from the research I did. Not entirely flat like a studio monitor, seems to remember lows and highs were above midrange output wise, but that isn't to say they won't sound good, especially so with tube gear where midrange can be more focused anyway. Any particular reason you are wanting to upgrade beyond the desire for something different?

OP
P

pmichael

Subjectively, I feel like I’m missing out on low frequencies. However, this week, I’m getting the SVS SB-100 Pro sub, and I hope it’ll fix the issue.
Due to my lack of experience, I would be happy to compare my feelings with others who have more experience.
I will also be glad to have links to objective information.

AwesomeSauce2015

General advice is that basically every speaker can benefit from integrating a subwoofer properly.
General advice is also to have some way to apply a high-pass filter to the main speakers, either through a miniDSP (or similar) or an AV receiver.

In your case, looking at the speakers you mentioned, they only have 5" woofers, and the manufacturer only specs the "frequency response" (which, the way they spec it, is a completely arbitrary value) as 40hz on the bass side. Both of these indicate that this speaker isn't designed to be a "bass monster".
So yes, if you are listening in anything bigger than a closet, then you will definitely benefit from a subwoofer.

However, integrating the subwoofer properly is critical. If it is not integrated properly, it can noticeably downgrade the sound.

There are lots of resources out there about how to integrate a subwoofer properly, but to start with, you will need to account for room modes (either by measuring and "brute force" correcting them, or by adjusting the subwoofer / listening positions), then you will want to set the subwoofer's low-pass filter appropriately. Ideally, you would also high-pass the main speakers so that only the subwoofer is producing the deep bass, and use EQ to correct any room modes above the crossover frequency as well.

My biggest recommendation for an upgrade would be some kind of measurement system, like a UMIK-1 and REW, as well as DSP/EQ for your main speakers if you don't already have it. This will allow you to correct for any room modes (basically room resonances, usually sub-400hz in "normal" sized rooms, which are not feasible to absorb with acoustic treatments, and can be very audible).

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I ran a quick Google search and almost couldn't believe it when I found a review with a full spinorama... from 2010?!?

Someone was beating us way to the game!

Note: This is from a non-secure website, but I believe that's simply due to the age. It's a site for one Giuliano Nicoletti here: http://www.giulianonicoletti.com/test-e-recensioni-hi-fi.html . As it turns out, he's currently an engineer for Focal.

Behold:
1711952735223.png

That doesn't look half bad! It's significanrtly smoothed and maybe not what we'd consider state of the art now, especially as there seems to be a bit of a lift in the early reflections toward the treble, but I've certainly seen a lot worse from newer speakers. The downward slope on axis should help offset that to a degree.

The review also has multi-tone distortion and such, for those who care to look.

Also, do note the directivity index has a different, vertically stretched scaling on the right hand side, which makes it look worse than it is.

They do seem a bit bass shy for towers, so a subwoofer definitely seems like a good idea! (But I mean, it almost always is).

Overall, seems like you found yourself a solid set of speakers.

If these are your first "serious" speakers, I would recommend you get the chance to listen to some other models and see if you have a preference for other kinds of directivity, but it seems like you might have to spend some dough to guarantee a true "upgrade" rather than a "sidegrade"

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Funny story back at their time,visiting a dealer's shop I thought someone was playing guitar and singing in the next room.
Turned out to be those with some audiophile music driven by an Audio Analogue (all Italian set-up) .
I was impressed!

I don't know how they look in pictures but up close they had a seriously premium feeling and craftsmanship and style was Sonus Faber- like (I consider this a compliment) .
And if I remember well they were also decently priced.

Call yourself lucky!

OP
P

pmichael

Thanks a lot ! I received a good dose of sedative :). I’ve got a license for the Dirac Live Suite with DLBC and UMIK-1. As soon as my subwoofer and second DAC (the SMSL SU-1) arrive, I will start playing. I would also like to learn creating filters by OCA method , but I’m afraid that I doesn’t have enough time to figure it out.

Top Bottom